Rules/Penalty Question

CalledStrike

Once again I'm not a coach. Don't like parents that much. :thumb:

But I am enjoying our conversation. I will look at the NFHS rule book.

I will get the correct answer to the originial question. :thumb:

How do you justify a "running play" ending in the endzone (safety) coming back out to the 10?

I've never seen that before. :blink:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again I'm not a coach. Don't like parents that much. :thumb:

But I am enjoying our conversation. I will look at the NFHS rule book.

I will get the correct answer to the originial question. :thumb:

How do you justify a "running play" ending in the endzone (safety) coming back out to the 10?

I've never seen that before. :?:

In the 2009 rule book..... Rule 10-5-2... page 76... (I finally had to look up the actual reference :blink:) You don't see it very often... Consider this scenario... QB scrambling, and is brought down by his facemask. By rule, the enforcement spot is suppose to be the end of the run. But, what if he's in his own end zone? It's not fair to enforce a safety.. you can't reward the defense for an illegal act... so, you penalize from the goal line.... either 5 or 15 yards.

As to the original question, see rule 2-33-1 on page 35 (this defines the types of plays for penalty enforcement) and pages 77-78.

The thing is, there are alot of nuances and complications that even some officials don't know. The rule book wasn't written in a day, it's being modified all the time, with many, many scenarios to draw from. Most of the penalties are fair, but there are exceptions...

I could be wrong, but I believe the penalty is marked from the original LOS. The penalty occurred during the play, and defensive holding is not a spot foul. The fact that the QB was sacked should not even be in the equation. If they are trying to say it's from the end of the play, what prevents defenses from holding all of the receivers against a good pocket passer and just send the house to get the short penalty from the end of the play to prevent big gains?

I look at it like this regardless of where the ball is. You already have a 12 yd loss on the play. You can take that and not have to worry about replaying the down or give them an extra down. If that play happened on 1st down, then it's 2nd and 22 from the 32. Give them only 2 downs to make the yardage that deep in your end of the field instead of 3.

You must be a defensive guy since you want to punish the offense for "defensive holding". :thumb:

Nah, he's from Millington. He doesn't understand football. Common problem in that area, really. That's all.

Actually I did misread this but that happens sometimes. I apologize. I WILL NOT apologize being from Millington. Since you know so much including where I am from and what I know, why don't you tell everyone who you are and where you are from so we can all be on equal ground? Or do you have something to hide?

I could be wrong, but I believe the penalty is marked from the original LOS. The penalty occurred during the play, and defensive holding is not a spot foul. The fact that the QB was sacked should not even be in the equation. If they are trying to say it's from the end of the play, what prevents defenses from holding all of the receivers against a good pocket passer and just send the house to get the short penalty from the end of the play to prevent big gains?

But look at this way................

first - Defensive Holding is a "rarer" penalty that is called; usually called when a DB "hooks" a receiver releasing or going down field on a pass play...........*note the term Pass Play.

second - On most run plays..........officials could call def holding on just about every play because lineman, LBers will hold, grab, chuck, each and every blocker to get off the block..........thus why is that not defensive holding?? Holding is holding............bout the only time it will be called on a run play is when a defender will tackle a blocker to remover interference. Called, but quite rarely.

So, defensive holding is primarily for pass plays..............the play in question was going to be a pass play, BUT was not!!. Assessed from the end of the run is correct..............it is a rare occurence!! :blush:

So basically what youre saying is this rule is left to interpretation by a referee? How can he decide whether to rule a play a running play or a passing play?

Quite simple...........Was the ball thrown? In this case....................NO!! then it is a running play :D I am certain that when the play started it was going to be a pass...............but the ball was not launched, therefore the play is a run.

The worst ruling of all times is when Team A on offense is going in to score and is tackled before crossing the goalline............ball enters end zone and goes out side of end zone or out the back of the end zone. Team gets no score, loses ball, and Team B gets ball at 20 yd line "touchback".

Now, if team A loses ball out of bounds in field of play...........they keep ball and continue on offense. I have always thought this was the hardest ruling to swallow!!