District 11AA

oakwood

Cheatham played very hard at White House the other night. They were down by 9 points at halftime and then in the 3rd quarter they got down by as many as 25 points before rallying in the 4th quarter and cutting the deficit to 8 points with 2 minutes remaining in the contest. At that point is when the Cubs jus seemed to run out of gas but it was a definite positive experience. The Cubs open up their district slate tonight at home against Camden. I read where they beat Montgomery Central the other night.

I also saw where Stewart County defeated Harpeth. Is this because Horkins was participating in practices for the East/West All-Star game this weekend? I also saw where Creek Wood defeated Waverly by a score of 51-39. Both of those teams should be in the hunt for the district crown all season long.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheatham's starters and rotation consists of:

Devin Conner (Freshman)

Thatcher Brinkley (Freshman)

Reece Hunter (Sophomore)

Shaun Montgomery (Junior): 1st full year playing basketball

Drew Smart (Senior)

McKinnley Swett (Senior)

Dominic DeWalt (Junior): 1st full year playing basketball

Chase Hughes (Junior): 1st full year playing basketball

Jack Matlock (Junior): 1st year EVER playing basketball

Sam Matlock (Junior): 1st year EVER playing basketball

Mitchell Potts (Freshman)

and when he returns from injury after Christmas break you can add..........

Tanner Owen (Junior): 1st year EVER playing basketball

Outside of Drew Smart & McKinnley Swett none of these guys have ever played meaningful basketball in their lives. That is what makes this basketball team so fun to watch is the fact that just as was the case this past football season we all get to watch what will eventually become a great core of student-athletes grow and mature before our very eyes.

howdoitknow i am not trying to sound like a jerk and definitely not trying to be a jerk but keep telling urself that...... Once Cheatham gets a good coaching staff basketball and football is when they will become something! They're Football program is horrible, They lost to wavo when Jackson, Glover, and Shoemake (Top 3 leading tackler on the tiger defensive squad) all 3 didn'T play a second of the 1st quarter... Sorry sir but its time to wake up :thumb:

In The most horribly officiated game i have ever seen the Waverly Central Tigers defeated the Harpeth Indian 57-52. The Tigers led 32-16 @ halftime and with great heart and effort from the indians, they rallied to take a 7 point lead late in the 4th. Vogel fouled out with about 3 minutes to go and the tigers trailing by about 7 and freshmen guards Austin Mullinax and McKenzie Ethridge carried Wavo to a 5 point victory with the future District MVP sitting on the bench. People I have seen a lot of basketball games in my 4 years at waverly, but i have never ever seen a worst set of officials in my life. back to mullinax and ethridge, I have never seen such hustle and effort from freshmen in a freshmen game in my years of watching high school basketball.... Kudos to the energy freaks: Keep up the hard Work. GOD BLESS EVERYONE

CW handled SC pretty easily....it was close at the end of the first and that was about it....CW made a huge run before the half and got SC frustrated leading to an intentional foul that was probably the turning point in the game bc momentum swung to CW quickly.....it was a very physical game and officiating was decent..after the first it was CW all the way.....

howdoitknow i am not trying to sound like a jerk and definitely not trying to be a jerk but keep telling urself that...... Once Cheatham gets a good coaching staff basketball and football is when they will become something! They're Football program is horrible, They lost to wavo when Jackson, Glover, and Shoemake (Top 3 leading tackler on the tiger defensive squad) all 3 didn'T play a second of the 1st quarter... Sorry sir but its time to wake up :lol:

Your an idiot, as howdoitknow said, cheatham is playing a bunch of freshman in both sports. I dont care how good of a coach you are there is a big difference between a 14 year old and a 17 or 18 year old.

Cheatham County Cubs Football (2002-2008 under Coach Finley)

Record: 44-34

Playoff Appearances: 6 trips to the state playoffs in 7 seasons (NOTE: the only year that they didn't make the playoffs was in 2008 when they finished with a 5-5 record)

Cheatham County Cubs Football (1970-2001 prior to Coach Finley being the Head Football Coach)

Record: 110-219-1

Playoff Appearances: 5 trips to the state playoffs in 32 seasons (NOTE: those seasons were 1987, 1988, 1994, 1995, & 1997)

Now with that said defensewinschampionships....................

What do you think happened this past year? Do you think that somehow over the off-season Coach Finley completely forgot how to coach football? Maybe the Cubs players were frightened after playing "cupcakes" like David Lipscomb, Marshall County, Giles County, Lewis County, Fairview, Sycamore, & Greenbrier during those 1st seven years with him as their head coach. Maybe they weren't ready to play a powerhouse football program like Waverly had this past season. Maybe the Tigers felt sorry for the Cubs and didn't want to waste those guys energy against such a "pathetic" football program. That had to be it.

There is no way it could have been the Cubs were starting 7 freshmen on both sides of the football. Those guys should have been able to step right on the field this past season as 9th graders and go all the way to Cookeville and dethrone Alcoa as the Class 3A State Champions. Only a "terrible" coach would have not been able to get that job done this past season huh?????

Now to basketball..........

Coach Dawson & Coach Stuart have been on the staff at Cheatham for a very long time. For Coach Stuart the coaching career began during the 2002-2003 season at CCCHS. For Coach Dawson it began in 2005-2006 at CCCHS. Stuart coached under Johnny Jackson & John Stigall and even played for Al Cooper. All 3 of those guys are now successful basketball coaches in Clarksville-Montgomery County. Dawson coached under Stigall and also coached football under Finley.

Those guys have a wealth of knowledge about the game of basketball and have gained knowledge about coaching from some very successful coaches in the middle-TN area.

Since the 2007-2008 basketball season it has been a struggle for the Cubs. That season they went 4-25. In 2008-2009 they went 1-26. Thus far this season they are 0-8. For the ignorant fan right away you would say 5-59????? The educated fan however would look further than a record book. Since the 2006-2007 team (Joey Beach & Don Dansby starred for that squad) the Cubs have seen very few seniors come through the program. Mark Campbell, Jake Williams, & Joe Rinehart/Zach Wilson (who played basketball for 1 year).

Just look at those who were supposed to be upper-classmen this year. Mike Calhoun is not even in school any longer because of troubles in his personal life. Tyler Adkisson is now playing football/basketball at Creek Wood. Levi Wilson is now playing football/basketball at Pearl-Cohn. Dantario Dansby is now playing basketball at Harpeth. If you add those 4 guys with Drew Smart, McKinnley Swett, & Dominic DeWalt then you have the guys that made up the younger classes when Stigall was in his final season at CCCHS.

Instead all that you have now is Drew Smart, who is a solid basketball player for this Cubs team as a senior. You have McKinnley Swett who is a role player as a senior for this Cubs team. You also have Dominic DeWalt (who didn't even get to play basketball last season because he had some personal problems away from the court). On last year's 1-26 team there was 1 FRESHMAN who played and that is it. He is Reece Hunter. He is only a sophomore now and is continuing to grow as a player. This year you have a lot of freshmen who have to play. Mitchell Potts, Devin Conner, Thatcher Brinkley, Brady Bose, Sam Walton, Brandon Boyte, etc., etc., etc. You add in older guys who have just recently decided they want to play basketball and this is their 1st year to ever do so. Shaun Montgomery, Tanner Owen, Jack Matlock, Sam Matlock, Chase Hughes, etc. Essentially we are talking about a basketball team with 1 player who even belongs on a basketball court on Tuesday & Friday nights at this point (Drew Smart). All of those other guys should be on a JV team.

You say it's coaching????? I would invite Coach K, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Dean Smith, John Wooden, John Calipari, Bill Self, etc., etc., etc. to come and coach those guys and try to be successful with them at ths point of their careers. It would be a difficult challenge even for those Hall of Fame basketball minds I can promise you :thumb:

Cheatham County Cubs Football (2002-2008 under Coach Finley)

Record: 44-34

Playoff Appearances: 6 trips to the state playoffs in 7 seasons (NOTE: the only year that they didn't make the playoffs was in 2008 when they finished with a 5-5 record)

Cheatham County Cubs Football (1970-2001 prior to Coach Finley being the Head Football Coach)

Record: 110-219-1

Playoff Appearances: 5 trips to the state playoffs in 32 seasons (NOTE: those seasons were 1987, 1988, 1994, 1995, & 1997)

Now with that said defensewinschampionships....................

What do you think happened this past year? Do you think that somehow over the off-season Coach Finley completely forgot how to coach football? Maybe the Cubs players were frightened after playing "cupcakes" like David Lipscomb, Marshall County, Giles County, Lewis County, Fairview, Sycamore, & Greenbrier during those 1st seven years with him as their head coach. Maybe they weren't ready to play a powerhouse football program like Waverly had this past season. Maybe the Tigers felt sorry for the Cubs and didn't want to waste those guys energy against such a "pathetic" football program. That had to be it.

There is no way it could have been the Cubs were starting 7 freshmen on both sides of the football. Those guys should have been able to step right on the field this past season as 9th graders and go all the way to Cookeville and dethrone Alcoa as the Class 3A State Champions. Only a "terrible" coach would have not been able to get that job done this past season huh?????

Defensewinschampionships is just clueless, don't even worry about what he says.