District 14A

tigerfan89

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zebra,

I think it's about time to just go ahead and pencil Humboldt and Middleton in as the best single A teams from rural West TN. Enough of the season has been played and enough of the unknowns are out of the way that it's become clear these two teams are the class of single A in the area. They have more or less separated themselves from the rest of the pack up to this point. I would put City University out of Memphis right there with them.

i do agree but HBt just better not let their guard down. They are at UC Tuesday night how do see this one? City University is gonna bet a tough out! :popcorneater:

I certainly think UC can win this one especially at home. But I think Humboldt has the better team.

Humboldt is the bigger and more athletic between the two teams...I'd take Union City's coaching staff over Humboldt's every day and twice on Sunday...UC is playing much better now but it will be interesting to see how they stack up against Humboldt...Last time around at Humboldt, UC was right in it with under 4 minutes remaining in the game down only 59-56....UC will have to shoot much better than they did in that game and somehow keep the Vikings off the boards...When UC plays excellent defense they normally win because it sets up their offense with easy transition buckets...Should be a good one as usual between these two top 1A teams...I'm hoping that the Humboldt blowout of Lake County was more of a product of the state of Lake County basketball right now than how good Humboldt really is..If they are that good, Union City will be in a world of hurt come Tuesday night....

At Union City....

Trenton Peabody........9.........26........14.......17 = 66

Union City................17........18.........18.......23 = 76

Union City improves to 15-8 and 9-1 in 14A....Tied with the Vikings with Humboldt up next....

Since 2005-2006 Union City is 84-0 against 1A teams in Tennessee NOT named Humboldt or Lake County...UC is 17-11 against those two....

Big win for UC but a little closer than i thought. Being that at Peabody UC beat them by 30! Peabody has got better glad to see that! Humboldt at UC Tuesday should be a good one! :popcorneater:

It makes a big difference when you shoot the ball....Last game Peabody couldn't throw it in the ocean and Union City hit everything they threw up....Last night Union City went up by as many as 11 in the first half before Peabody started hitting their shots..UC had an abnormal amount of turnovers, some forced some unforced...Peabody tied the game by half and even took the lead a couple of times in the third quarter..UC had a big run midway thru the 4th quarter and went up by as much as 12..UC only shot 11 of 20 free throws...The game last night was as competitive a game as Trenton has played against Union City in a long while...

Vikingclassof87 i agree u with and don't understand about the Swift and Taylor kid! They have not played at all this season. I don't care if they have been at practice its not the same as being in a game! LC fans don't get me wrong and mean for disrespect all teams go through some rough times. But i was at the LC and Humboldt game Tuesday and LC was just plain out played! I sure that you know the Swift and Taylor kids and what they can do! If they do return to the lineup they will be rusty. I will be honest i never seen a LC get beat that bad! Humboldt goes to UC Tuesday and will have their hands full. If LC is going to make a move they better do it fast! Good Luck! :popcorneater:

But you know also that Lake Co was getting beat bad but Whitby put in the small players that couldnt even get the ball down the floor..That's why the margin was 45...All I'm saying is I knew we were suppose to have 3 new players on the team..Cody Taylor,The Swift kid and a freshman that moved from Illinois..The freshman played against Humboldt..Cody Taylor didn't make the trip nor did the Swift kid..The freshman played football this year so he's been eligible all year..He has started about 4 games this year..The Swift boy,we knew was eligible after Christmas and Cody Taylor was borderline..Whitby wouldnt let Cody Taylor in the gym I was told that he told him to study and didnt want to see him until after Christmas..I heard some of my friends tell me the Swift boy would come and shoot around during P.E. class and looked very athletic..Looked to really jump..Cody Taylor played a little against Union City and I saw his potential..He needs some playing time..He has two weeks to get that now..The Swift kid played his first game last night and I was impressed with him more than I thought..He didnt strart but played about about 20 minutes of the game and had 10 points and about 4 blocked shots and quite a few rebounds..Quicker than I thought he might be..He turned his ankle in the 3rd quarter last night after coming down on someone's foot so could be a chance he not play tonight.I believe Whitby played him a lot because he'll be starting before tournament time.I talked to Greenfield fan last night and he may think Humboldt has a great team but I'll bet he'll tell you he was impressed with Swift..I also heard Greenfield played Humboldt closer than the 20 point spread..Lake Co had Greenfield by 20 at the half..Swift was owning the paint..And Cody Taylor will be back tonight..So again..I have a feeling that Humboldt will see a zone the next game against Lake Co..Starters will probably be Ralphael Tyler and Leron Garret at guards..Patrick Robertson and Swift at forwards and Cody Taylor at center..I saw Patrick and Union City fans know this..start at the free throw line and dunked over a Union City player..And he is no way close to any of these two players ar far ar hops..Lake Co beat Greenfield by 30 last night and Taylor didn't play..Even if Lake Co isnt shooting well..should have the defense and rebounders to stay in the games now..They havent been practing but have a couple weeks before the tournaments..Can't wait for the Union City game ..not saying we'll win..but anxious..Union City had better be hitting from outside..And Humboldt is strong inside..Dunbar and Bryson won't be able to do that with Swift and Taylor in the lineup..So..everyone seems to have Middleton and Humboldt in the State..We'll see..Could be a big mistake to count this team out..As for me..not saying we'll go to the State..But our season is just now starting.!

Vikingclassof87 i agree u with and don't understand about the Swift and Taylor kid! They have not played at all this season. I don't care if they have been at practice its not the same as being in a game! LC fans don't get me wrong and mean for disrespect all teams go through some rough times. But i was at the LC and Humboldt game Tuesday and LC was just plain out played! I sure that you know the Swift and Taylor kids and what they can do! If they do return to the lineup they will be rusty. I will be honest i never seen a LC get beat that bad! Humboldt goes to UC Tuesday and will have their hands full. If LC is going to make a move they better do it fast! Good Luck! :popcorneater:

But you know also that Lake Co was getting beat bad but Whitby put in the small players that couldnt even get the ball down the floor..That's why the margin was 45...All I'm saying is I knew we were suppose to have 3 new players on the team..Cody Taylor,The Swift kid and a freshman that moved from Illinois..The freshman played against Humboldt..Cody Taylor didn't make the trip nor did the Swift kid..The freshman played football this year so he's been eligible all year..He has started about 4 games this year..The Swift boy,we knew was eligible after Christmas and Cody Taylor was borderline..Whitby wouldnt let Cody Taylor in the gym I was told that he told him to study and didnt want to see him until after Christmas..I heard some of my friends tell me the Swift boy would come and shoot around during P.E. class and looked very athletic..Looked to really jump..Cody Taylor played a little against Union City and I saw his potential..He needs some playing time..He has two weeks to get that now..The Swift kid played his first game last night and I was impressed with him more than I thought..He didnt strart but played about about 20 minutes of the game and had 10 points and about 4 blocked shots and quite a few rebounds..Quicker than I thought he might be..He turned his ankle in the 3rd quarter last night after coming down on someone's foot so could be a chance he not play tonight.I believe Whitby played him a lot because he'll be starting before tournament time.I talked to Greenfield fan last night and he may think Humboldt has a great team but I'll bet he'll tell you he was impressed with Swift..I also heard Greenfield played Humboldt closer than the 20 point spread..Lake Co had Greenfield by 20 at the half..Swift was owning the paint..And Cody Taylor will be back tonight..So again..I have a feeling that Humboldt will see a zone the next game against Lake Co..Starters will probably be Ralphael Tyler and Leron Garret at guards..Patrick Robertson and Swift at forwards and Cody Taylor at center..I saw Patrick and Union City fans know this..start at the free throw line and dunked over a Union City player..And he is no way close to any of these two players ar far ar hops..Lake Co beat Greenfield by 30 last night and Taylor didn't play..Even if Lake Co isnt shooting well..should have the defense and rebounders to stay in the games now..They havent been practing but have a couple weeks before the tournaments..Can't wait for the Union City game ..not saying we'll win..but anxious..Union City had better be hitting from outside..And Humboldt is strong inside..Dunbar and Bryson won't be able to do that with Swift and Taylor in the lineup..So..everyone seems to have Middleton and Humboldt in the State..We'll see..Could be a big mistake to count this team out..As for me..not saying we'll go to the State..But our season is just now starting.!

I understand where you are coming from and i do think,if Humboldt and LC meet again it won't be a 40 point game! Like i stated you know the Taylor and the Swift kid better than i. But i also think that Humboldt is better than most fans think! No i'm not saying they will win it all a long way to be Boro! But if Swift and Taylor come in and do what you think they will it should make for a very good tourament! They got two weeks to get all the rust out and that will be hard to do! If LC can not stop the outside shooting of Humboldt it won't matter much! You will be in the same boat because they will open up the inside game for Humboldt even more! Regaudring the Greenfield games the first game 84-67 and second was 80-60. Humboldt's bench got alot of playing time in both games. In the first game Humboldt put in their subs before half. I grant you if they wanted it to be it would have been worse! This comparing score don't mean anything no way! I mean no harm you always bring up who beat who and compare scores. I think you are just grabbing for draws! Good Luck and i hope LC gets better! B)

Humboldt is the bigger and more athletic between the two teams...I'd take Union City's coaching staff over Humboldt's every day and twice on Sunday...UC is playing much better now but it will be interesting to see how they stack up against Humboldt...Last time around at Humboldt, UC was right in it with under 4 minutes remaining in the game down only 59-56....UC will have to shoot much better than they did in that game and somehow keep the Vikings off the boards...When UC plays excellent defense they normally win because it sets up their offense with easy transition buckets...Should be a good one as usual between these two top 1A teams...I'm hoping that the Humboldt blowout of Lake County was more of a product of the state of Lake County basketball right now than how good Humboldt really is..If they are that good, Union City will be in a world of hurt come Tuesday night....

I agree with you UC has a good coaching as everyone knows! But i take my hat off to Boykin he is coaching better right now than i have seen him! No he's no Sisco but you know you can't win if you don't have the talent! No i don't think Humboldt is 40 points better than LC. Though i think Humboldt is the better team. This will be a big game for both each with only one lose in the district! Like you say UC must shoot better to win this game. But if Humboldt is shooting well from the outside UC will have a hard time with Dunbar and Bryson! Like i said UC is well coached and Humboldt will have to be on their toes to get out with a win! Good Luck To both!! :popcorneater:

I understand where you are coming from and i do think,if Humboldt and LC meet again it won't be a 40 point game! Like i stated you know the Taylor and the Swift kid better than i. But i also think that Humboldt is better than most fans think! No i'm not saying they will win it all a long way to be Boro! But if Swift and Taylor come in and do what you think they will it should make for a very good tourament! They got two weeks to get all the rust out and that will be hard to do! If LC can not stop the outside shooting of Humboldt it won't matter much! You will be in the same boat because they will open up the inside game for Humboldt even more! Regaudring the Greenfield games the first game 84-67 and second was 80-60. Humboldt's bench got alot of playing time in both games. In the first game Humboldt put in their subs before half. I grant you if they wanted it to be it would have been worse! This comparing score don't mean anything no way! I mean no harm you always bring up who beat who and compare scores. I think you are just grabbing for draws! Good Luck and i hope LC gets better! B)

I know my bringing up scores doesn't mean a lot..Sometimes it's about matchups..And Humboldt won..Nothing I can say can or will convince some people that Lake Co can or will beat Humboldt..And you're right..I'm not sure if they can get to where I want in a couple weeks..But I also know that the other night when Lake Co played Humboldt in the zone press..Bryson and Dunbar scored at will off of it against a much smaller team..Those same shots may land in the bleachers now..Humboldt has an excellent team..Not saying they wont win the next time also..But all I'm saying is this team is a new team..more size now..Lake Co has been having to put Patrick down low against Humboldt or maybe matching up against Dunbar..That leaves a player about 6'1 on Bryson..Now Lake Co could come out in a zone..maybe put Patrick at the top of the key because he's about 6'3..then laeve the quick Leron and Raphael at the top of the zone also and still have Swift and Taylor down low..Or have Swift on Dunbar and Taylor on Bryson ..All I'm saying is ..keep reading Coach T and see what maybe some of the posters say about the two new players..we still have Bradford..South Fulton..we beat both handidly without Taylor and Swift..But we still have Trenton and Union City..I dont think Trenton will be able to shoot outside well enough to win with Swift and Taylor..Going to probably take a team like Union City that can shoot from outside..and they are going to have to be hitting..And now it's going to be hard to keep Lake Co off the boards for Union City..could get them in foul trouble..But if for some reason Cody Taylor doesn't make it the rest of the year because of being late for school..things of that nature..we are still better with just Swift..I ddint realize he could jump like that and really moves well..Going to be a fun last 4 or 5 games and the district tournament.

Just to clear something up, the benches were not cleared in the Humboldt-LC game until around the 2 minute mark in the 4th...There was certainly a 30+ point lead before this happened..

Also, Bigster I gotta disagree with you about something...I understand where you are coming from with the two kids you're expecting production out of but I don't see it happening...This is the time of season that you should be playing your best basketball...Humboldt and Union City are...Lake County is playing their worst...I've also got to point out that I've seen several posts that you've put up talking about how the lineup will consist of "the right guys" next time around and how they'll play a zone and things should be different...I just don't see it...

Humboldt isn't 40+ points better than LC, but I do think they are around 10-15 points better consistently..Last Tuesday's deficit was a result of two things...Humboldt putting together their best collective effort all season and LC falling apart...I haven't posted a lot on these boards this year but I made one prior to the first Hbt-LC game...It stated that regardless of whether Humboldt won the game in Tiptonville, LC would be facing a MUCH improved team the second time around...Humboldt has struggled at times this year but they are improving...Lot of these young guys are gaining experience and playing better and better...Guys like Tevin Bryson and Antonio Brooks will be huge come tournament time..

Just to clear something up, the benches were not cleared in the Humboldt-LC game until around the 2 minute mark in the 4th...There was certainly a 30+ point lead before this happened..

Also, Bigster I gotta disagree with you about something...I understand where you are coming from with the two kids you're expecting production out of but I don't see it happening...This is the time of season that you should be playing your best basketball...Humboldt and Union City are...Lake County is playing their worst...I've also got to point out that I've seen several posts that you've put up talking about how the lineup will consist of "the right guys" next time around and how they'll play a zone and things should be different...I just don't see it...

Humboldt isn't 40+ points better than LC, but I do think they are around 10-15 points better consistently..Last Tuesday's deficit was a result of two things...Humboldt putting together their best collective effort all season and LC falling apart...I haven't posted a lot on these boards this year but I made one prior to the first Hbt-LC game...It stated that regardless of whether Humboldt won the game in Tiptonville, LC would be facing a MUCH improved team the second time around...Humboldt has struggled at times this year but they are improving...Lot of these young guys are gaining experience and playing better and better...Guys like Tevin Bryson and Antonio Brooks will be huge come tournament time..

You're right..Most teams should be playing their best basketball..But maybe the ole Legend does have a plan..He started Ricky Boyd last night against Greenfield..has been starting a lot this year but didnt play against Humboldt until the 3rd quarter..Last night Raphael Tyler didnt start..He started the small Swift kid against yall and until the Humboldt game..he hasnt started a game or had much playing time since the football players were still playing football..All I can say is..We'll see..Come watch them play Dyersburg tonight..Cody Taylor is kinda a cross between Epperson and Kelcey Rose..Swift is probably more rounded..Taylor is strictly a rebounder and shot blocker..Just keep reading Coach T and see the comments from here on out..!And I'm not convinced that Humboldt has a good shooting outside team ..Dunbar is good if he's open..Antonio Brooks seems to be the 1 player that can hit on a consistent basis..Campbell is streaky.!

I also stated that Lake Co wasnt going to do anything after what I'd been seeing..But two players can make a huge difference..Take Dunbar and Quan Campbell off the Humboldt team and you'd see..But I think you did see..when just Dunbar was gone..So..I believe if one player can make a difference on yall's team..why shouldnt 2 players make a difference on Lake Co's team?

You're right..Most teams should be playing their best basketball..But maybe the ole Legend does have a plan..He started Ricky Boyd last night against Greenfield..has been starting a lot this year but didnt play against Humboldt until the 3rd quarter..Last night Raphael Tyler didnt start..He started the small Swift kid against yall and until the Humboldt game..he hasnt started a game or had much playing time since the football players were still playing football..All I can say is..We'll see..Come watch them play Dyersburg tonight..Cody Taylor is kinda a cross between Epperson and Kelcey Rose..Swift is probably more rounded..Taylor is strictly a rebounder and shot blocker..Just keep reading Coach T and see the comments from here on out..!And I'm not convinced that Humboldt has a good shooting outside team ..Dunbar is good if he's open..Antonio Brooks seems to be the 1 player that can hit on a consistent basis..Campbell is streaky.!

I also stated that Lake Co wasnt going to do anything after what I'd been seeing..But two players can make a huge difference..Take Dunbar and Quan Campbell off the Humboldt team and you'd see..But I think you did see..when just Dunbar was gone..So..I believe if one player can make a difference on yall's team..why shouldnt 2 players make a difference on Lake Co's team?

Two players can make a big difference but I don't see two unproven players making that big of a difference...And a mix between Epperson and Kelsey Rose?!? C'mon Bigster, I'm not that foolish...

Bottom line is this, it doesn't matter who you have, it's how you play...and LC is playing selfish basketball right now...And even if they weren't, from what I've seen they're still not as talented as Humboldt, even with Humboldt having a down year..