Tentative AAU Tournament schedule

DoctorEvil

Second rate tournaments from a second rate organization. Looks like total CRAP to me.

CRAP - Elementary Nationals . . . . . . . March 8 Virginia Beach, VA

CRAP - All-American Middle School Championships . . . March 29 Raleigh, NC

CRAP - Middle School Duals . . . . . . April 12-13 Cedar Rapids, IA

CRAP - Folkstyle World Championships . . April 17-19 Tulsa, Ok

CRAP - La Femme Nationale . . . . . . . . . . March

CRAP - Scholastic Challenge . . . . . . . . . March 29 Chicago, IL

CRAP - Elementary National Duals . . . . . April TBA Kingsport, TN

CRAP - Ironman World Championships . . May 24-26 Knoxville, TN

CRAP - Scholastic Duals . . . . June 21-25 Walt Disney World, FL

CRAP - Grand Nationals . . . . . . . . . . July 2-5 Hampton, VA

CRAP - AAU Junior Olympic Games . . . July 27- August 1 Detroit, MI

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by DoctorEvil:

Second rate tournaments from a second rate organization. Looks like total CRAP to me.

Wow......WHAT a positive influence in this Sport we love so much....I don't Like YOUR alphabet letters....so I'm gonna Poop on them --Nyah Nyah--

WHAT a way to encourage kids to get ALL the competition they can. :D

I think this opening a can of worms that goes beyond the scope of what many understand.

Posted by HBK19:
Posted by DoctorEvil:

Wow......WHAT a positive influence in this Sport we love so much....I don't Like YOUR alphabet letters....so I'm gonna Poop on them --Nyah Nyah--

WHAT a way to encourage kids to get ALL the competition they can. :o

To all;

This summer was my first experience with AAU wrestling and to be frank it was great! I am a single parent of two wrestlers and the AAU meets were well run, professional, and affordable. The meets were all less than a hours drive,

and on time. We were welcomed by all and never did I see the "Were better than you" attitude I have seen here. Also

you need to realized to the persons outside wrestling AAU is a "known" name, USA Wrestling is not. When my local civic

leaders found out we were doing AAU wrestling we were given permission to use a gym and they offered to pay for the membership of any local kids that want to wrestle. When we opened the gym we went from my two kids to 14 in two weeks, I am all ready being contacted by parents wanting to involve their children when we do AAU again. So I might do USA wrestling, but I am doing AAU wrestling. The people involve there seem to care more about the kids and growing the sport.

Michael Morelan

Wow Dr. Evil,

Why the nastiness? Did the AAU steal your fries? There must be some underlying meaning in your post. Did you have a bad experience while competing in or attending an AAU tournament? Basically your post was childish. If you have a point to express...then express it.

I was at the Ironman in Nashville this year and it was poorly run. But it had nothing to do with the AAU. The problem was a lack of volunteer help.

It might be a good idea to step back and evaluate your opinion. The problem in wrestling is a lack of events not crappy events. Wrestled anybody from Kansas lately? My sons have and they are a tough bunch. Last year there were over 85 USA sponsored events in the state of Kansas. You want to increase the popularity of wrestling? Then increase the opportunities to wrestle. This season my youngest son will wrestle in (Nov-02 thru June-03) around 12 to 15 open tournaments. I am probably looking at 10,000 miles and thousands of dollars. How many parents are willing and/or able to do that? Not many.

Why are we doing it? Because Dorothy...we ain't in Kansas.

"Engage brain before engaging mouth."

Posted by DoctorEvil:

[Edited by Commoner on 9-20-02 10:23A]

Posted by DoctorEvil:

To: DoctorEvil ~ :confused: :confused: :confused:

Competition is the name of the game in most everything. The two organizations (AAU and USAW) only make each other stronger. If it wasn't for the very being the other ... neither would have reason to try to offer more, to be better, to reach more kids.

AAU has indeed found a niche with its folkstyle offerings ... as has USAW with freestyle. The scheduling of either organization's events or the success of those events corresponds directly to whose willing to host and run them. IMHO -- Because AAU deals most often with younger kids, kids whose parents naturally become involved; they generally have a larger local VOLUNTEER pool to draw from. Wouldn't it be nice to have 80 to 90 (any style)events during the spring and summer all right here in Tennessee? Without willing hosts, our hands are tied. (Sometimes I wish I could put a mat down in my own living room.) Seems most folks prefer to let someone else do all the work and then complain about how poorly it was run.

~ MatMaid

[Edited by Matmaid on 9-20-02 12:09P]

I have desided to join USA to compair for myself. But will someone tell me how many meets my son would have wrestled in Tennessee if he had been a USA member all summer.

In the AAU he had 32 matches. We missed 3 AAU meets, The Ironman, and the freestyle camp put on by AAU. If we had made these he should have had 9 matches at the meets, 6 matches at Ironman , and 16 matches at the AAU freestyle camp. So if we made all we could in AAU, my son would have had 63 matches this summer. Is USA doing more than this in Tenn?

Michael Morelan

[Edited by morelanmn on 9-22-02 7:33P]

Thanks for the TWF update.

I was sent this from SEAAUWRESTLING@AOL.COM on the 25th.

Schedule and Rules Meeting May 19, 2002

2002 Tennessee AAU

Season in Review

6 Regional Events

1 State Tournament

Dixie Challenge

3 National Events.

Membership and Participation

Tournament Average: 388

Club Memberships: 2001-14 2002- 24

Individual Memberships: 2001 - 1368 2002 - 1484

Tennessee State Participation:

Knox, Blount, Union, Jefferson, Roane, Cumberland, McMinn, Sullivan, Davidson, Putnam, Hamiliton, Grundy, Marion, Bradley, Montgomery, Shelby, Williamson, Rutherford, Hamblen, Greene, Washington, Wilson, Sumner, Rhea, Robertson, Warren, Trousdale, Macon, Moore, and Sevier.

State Participation:

Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, and Alabama.

Goals

Tennessee AAU Wrestling is about providing opportunities and options.

We are a "Grassroots" organization.

To offer a network of events that provide competitive opportunities for athletes of all ages at a very low cost.

Educate people about the sport of Wrestling. Especially our Youth coaches and Parents!

Solutions and Opportunities

On-Site Registration: assign 1 Adult to be responsible for AAU Card registration at each tournament.

Non-AAU Members working events: Last year, we had 3 reported incidents of tournament workers being injured. 1 knee, 1 nose, and 1 tooth. Had these people been an AAU Member, they would have been covered by the secondary insurance provided to our members.

Lack of Opportunities at our events: 5 or fewer athletes in a weight class, use round-robin brackets.

Tournament Continuity: the Format of our tournaments need to be set at our Spring Meeting. These procedures need to be in the hands of the tournament director ASAP and these procedures need to be followed.

2003 Regional Divisions / Schedule

West: All wrestling clubs who are on the western side of I-27. Roane County, Jets Wrestling Club, Cookeville, Smyrna, Clarksville, Murfreesboro, Bolton, Overton, Brentwood, Grundy/Marion, Rhea County, Tullahoma and all clubs West of Chattanooga.

East: All wrestling clubs East and Northeast of Knoxville. Jefferson County, Morristown East, East Ridge, Johnson City, D-B Indian, Chucky Doak, Sullivan East, Bristol, Boone, and Greeneville.

North: All wrestling clubs in and North of Knoxville. Halls, South Knox, Rebel, Union County, Farragut, Pilot, Catholic, Fountain City, Karns, Bearden, Carter, Powell, Central, and Austin East.

South: All wrestling clubs South of Knoxville and East of I-75. Blount County, Maryville, Heritage, Alcoa, McMinn County, Sevier County, Pigeon Forge, Seymour, all counties South of Roane County and East of Hwy 27.

Schedule and Dates

Middle School Dual Season: TBA

Week 1: Feb. 15 Murfreesboro Middle School Open @ Riverdale

Week 2: Feb. 22 South / North @ Seymour

East @ ?

West @ ?

Week 3: March 1 North / West @ Karns

South / East @ William Blount

Week 4: March 8 West / South @ ?

North / East @ ?

Week 5: March 15 *Tennessee AAU State Tournament @ Roane State College

*Ohio Tournament of Champions Qualifier

Week 6: March 22 Dixie Challenge @ Cumberland Co HS

April 4,5, and 6 AAU Elementary Nationals @ Kingsport D-B.

Week 7: May 3 Freestyle Tournament @ Gibbs High School

Week 8: May 10 Freestyle Tournament @ Pigeon Forge HS

Week 9: May 17 SEAAU Freestyle Championship @ Seymour HS

Tennessee AAU Wrestling Camp June 9-13 @ Seymour High School

*Featuring the University of Oklahoma and the Cornell University

Here You Go! There are a couple of dates left open. Some may change due to gym conflicts but we will notify everyone.

Thanks for all your help!

I hope this helps,

Michael Morelan

[Edited by morelanmn on 9-30-02 10:40A]

I have found the site for USA Wrestling for the state of Georgia,, They have a Folkstyle tournament schedule that is very impressive. I was surprised to see folkstyle wrestling during football season,(can that be done in Tennessee?). Maybe AAU and USA in Tennessee work togather and we could have as many Tennessee tournaments as Georgia gives there wrestlers. The Georgia USA site is www.teamgeorgiawrestling.com

Michael Morelan