new playoff system??? feedback please

Erballer5

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It stinks and has been flawed from the get go. As a 2a team last year...we felt the effects of the z-plan. It's horrible and should be scrapped....completely. There is way too much bias in this system. They "seed" teams but then adjust to how they see fit. If they are going to seed...then seed them and play the games according to seeding. 1 v. 8, 2 v. 7, 3 v. 6, 4 v. 5. It shouldnt matter if you play a team in your district or not. The T$$AA is a joke and all the powers that be in it are a joke. They tried to make this selection show a big deal and they completely screwed it up...in all 6 classes. Which brings another point...why are there 6 classes? TN obviously doesnt have enough schools to have 6 classes. If they did, there weren't be bye rounds in 1a and 2a. And what about the DII schools getting to set their own playoff system? What a crock. These guys are all about the $ and not enough about what really counts...the kids and the schools. I've seen a lot of crap in my life but this tops them all. And the team i pull for made it in! I feel for the kids and the schools that got shafted by this joke. Trick or treat guys...we are the T$$AA and we'll do what we want and it doesn't matter what anybody thinks. Best of luck to all the teams that got in...and i'm truly sorry for those that got jipped by the suits in hermitage.

I think this is the worst idea the TSSAA have had in a long time.

1) It is overly complicated (as proven yesterday with the TSSAA mistakes)

2) I agree that 6 classifications is way too many.

3) Coaches and Players like to have a good idea of who they may be facing in round 1 two to three weeks prior to the final regular season game not the morning after. They also want to clearly understand what is required to even make the playoffs going into the final weeks.

4) It encourages teams to pad the statistics and play easy games in order to qualify for the playoffs. That is of zero interest to either team and certainly not for the fans.

5) Teams with 1-9 and 3-7 records are making it to the playoffs and others with 5-5 are left out.

6) In my view they have generated less interest with the 3a/4a and 5a/6a combined district. I want to see more teams who we may actually have to face in the playoffs. Also the attendance has not been there from my perspective. We played a large 4a school and I counted less than 20 fans in the visiting bleachers.

Someone half joking stated on these boards that it would be more successful if they let everybody into the playoffs. Sadly they are correct because it would at least be fairer than the system we have now.

I have never been a huge fan of the BCS system in College Football but the Z-Plan is infinitely worse.

Do not like it. To many teams who have poor records and played poor schedules getting in the playoffs. When you have 32 out of 53 teams in some classification making the playoffs something is not right. Do not need a system like they have in basketball where everyone gets in. No need for a regular season if this is the way it is going to be done.

The answer to me is clear. Take the districts as they are now. Have three classes, do not split to six, top four make the playoffs. Top four in each district or region whatever you which to call it, then play companion district. District one plays two etc. This can be done without any major re-alignment, two year contracts would still be in place. Schools would play same teams in all major sports, thus rivalries would be in place. Tennessee needs three state champs not six, quit watering it down and over complicating things. This worked for years in Tennessee and should never have been changed.

What people need to realize here is that no system will ever be fair or please everyone. I keep reading here people whining about seeds, whining about teams in their quads, whining about their 5-5 (or worse) teams not making it, whining about schools with bad records getting in, and so on.

Most of the arguments contradict themselves! One person wants their 4-6 team that played a loaded schedule in, and then another complains that teams are in below a .500 win %. One says it will only be fair if all teams make it, and another says we have way too many making it. One says that higher ranked teams should not be placed in the same quad while another says they still have to travel too far. It's ridiculous.

One of the biggest problems here is all the whining and complaining that has happened over the years, just like this year. The TSSAA has listened to the complaints way too much, and tried too hard to please everyone. The result is the system we have that, while confusing, I believe is one of the most fair systems we have ever had. If you disagree, you likely don't remember (or are ignoring) all the teams that got "screwed" in the past systems. The only reason there is more complaining about it now is because the system is new, and confusing.

I love the wildcard system that keeps teams with good records from missing the playoffs altogether, which happened quite often under the old systems. I'm not saying this system is great, or even good. It has many flaws which have been made painfully obvious over the past 2 days. Teams getting tough draws or being on the bubble are not some of them. Those things will happen with any system.

The only complaint I have is that the system was not concrete enough to have no arbitrary placings, and the seeming lack of understanding from the ones who created it. This left the brackets open to interpretation, which I believe caused the errors. That should be corrected with a more fixed system (like how Gerry Bertier had been posting the brackets). However, The TSSAA admitted those mistakes, have apologized, and moved on. We should too.

This format is nuts. The master mind behind this never played sports, was the last one picked in playing a game. I think they never even looked at the head to head games and compared them to other teams. The tssaa just look at the records and seeded them, without taking in account how hard your district or region was. Do these people get paid to do this?...........if so they need to be fired.

What people need to realize here is that no system will ever be fair or please everyone. I keep reading here people whining about seeds, whining about teams in their quads, whining about their 5-5 (or worse) teams not making it, whining about schools with bad records getting in, and so on.

Most of the arguments contradict themselves! One person wants their 4-6 team that played a loaded schedule in, and then another complains that teams are in below a .500 win %. One says it will only be fair if all teams make it, and another says we have way too many making it. One says that higher ranked teams should not be placed in the same quad while another says they still have to travel too far. It's ridiculous.

One of the biggest problems here is all the whining and complaining that has happened over the years, just like this year. The TSSAA has listened to the complaints way too much, and tried too hard to please everyone. The result is the system we have that, while confusing, I believe is one of the most fair systems we have ever had. If you disagree, you likely don't remember (or are ignoring) all the teams that got "screwed" in the past systems. The only reason there is more complaining about it now is because the system is new, and confusing.

I love the wildcard system that keeps teams with good records from missing the playoffs altogether, which happened quite often under the old systems. I'm not saying this system is great, or even good. It has many flaws which have been made painfully obvious over the past 2 days. Teams getting tough draws or being on the bubble are not some of them. Those things will happen with any system.

The only complaint I have is that the system was not concrete enough to have no arbitrary placings, and the seeming lack of understanding from the ones who created it. This left the brackets open to interpretation, which I believe caused the errors. That should be corrected with a more fixed system (like how Gerry Bertier had been posting the brackets). However, The TSSAA admitted those mistakes, have apologized, and moved on. We should too.

I humbly disagree. This system is total chaos and the only way to change that is to continue voicing displeasure. As long as this system is in place, it will be open to interpretation by those setting the brackets as well as manipulation by the coaches as they create their schedules.

In his post game comments last night concerning the black jerseys, Lane Kiffin said that the game was about the players and they wanted to wear the black jerseys. The same can be said about this situation. High school football is about the players, and this system is not fair to them. Unfortunately, those in power saw the dollar signs associated with a sixth state championship and forgot what high school athletics are about.

If they were truly interested in lessening travel, many simpler, better solutions were available. The previous system had worked smoothly for a generation. There was no reason for change. If travel was a solution, keep the same system but play with 4 classifications instead of 5. That would cut travel while keeping the process clear. I sincerely hope the Board of Control eliminates this mess and reverts to the previous system because IT WORKED.

The answer to me is clear. Take the districts as they are now. Have three classes, do not split to six, top four make the playoffs. Top four in each district or region whatever you which to call it, then play companion district. District one plays two etc. This can be done without any major re-alignment, two year contracts would still be in place. Schools would play same teams in all major sports, thus rivalries would be in place. Tennessee needs three state champs not six, quit watering it down and over complicating things. This worked for years in Tennessee and should never have been changed.

:hungry: One major problem is with 16 districts if you take the top 4, you end up with 64 teams in the 1st round of the playoffs: you just made it 6 rounds to the state championship. :thumb:

:thumb: One major problem is with 16 districts if you take the top 4, you end up with 64 teams in the 1st round of the playoffs: you just made it 6 rounds to the state championship. :thumb:

Simple solution here. Place all privates in DII and have three classifications and take the top two out of each district.

Apparently you must be employed by the TSSAA cause this was perhaps the biggest blunder that the good ole boys have created in a while. There are too many issues with the current system to even start, so I'll just leave it at that. Hopefully, they will see the errors of their ways and do something to correct it asap.