Should they go back to only top to teams in each Region?

randomfan10

I do believe they should go back to only taking top few teams in district...top two teams in a given should host the opposing district's last two teams...that is how it has always been and it seemed to work fine...at least u have an idea of who u will be playing...I dunno my players are just using the game on road as extra motivation...

There should not be any automatic bids to a team with less than a .500 winning percentage in your district and your overall record. Sorry. If you can't win half of your games you shouldn't get into the playoffs.

-snd

I understand your though process on this but look at this scenario.

Team _______ in 3a suffers loss to all 4 4a schools in their district.

Team _______ then loses 2 more to a 5a & 6a non-district foe. (smart tough scheduling)

Team _______ suffers 1 loss to 3a district foe.

Team _______ is now 3 & 7.

Another 3a team, ________, goes 4 & 1 in their district and wins 2 against 2a foes. Record 6 & 4.

Now. Who goes? :thumb:

I know I'm in the minority here, but hey, what else is new. As much as we all love to praise, cheer, rant, rave and talk a lil smack, we need to remember that high school football and the playoffs are about the work and success of 14-18 year old boys, young men if you will. The expanded format allows more players to seek find and achieve success. Its about second chances at reaching their ultimate goal. We could argue multiple formats to shorten the playoffs. Only top two teams from a district, Only the wining team form a district (hasn't district play been a playoff in itself?). Maybe only the top two ranked teams in a division.....heck just give it to the top ranked team....Congrats Red Bank!

Nah!! Let them play.....as many as possible......

There should not be any automatic bids to a team with less than a .500 winning percentage in your district and your overall record. Sorry. If you can't win half of your games you shouldn't get into the playoffs.

-snd

The TSSAA has watered down the playoffs so much that there are going to be teams with sub .500 records in the playoffs. Only 33 of the 54 teams in 3A have a record greater than .500 When you've got almost 60% of teams in a classification going to the playoffs, somebody is going to have a losing record.

I know I'm in the minority here, but hey, what else is new. As much as we all love to praise, cheer, rant, rave and talk a lil smack, we need to remember that high school football and the playoffs are about the work and success of 14-18 year old boys, young men if you will. The expanded format allows more players to seek find and achieve success. Its about second chances at reaching their ultimate goal. We could argue multiple formats to shorten the playoffs. Only top two teams from a district, Only the wining team form a district (hasn't district play been a playoff in itself?). Maybe only the top two ranked teams in a division.....heck just give it to the top ranked team....Congrats Red Bank!

Nah!! Let them play.....as many as possible......

You're right... let's let all 54 teams in 3A make it to the playoffs :thumb:

Everyone makes the playoffs these days. Something special has been taken away.

I :thumb: your point. For some teams that may be the case. I look at the playoffs as a reward for hard work, effort, and the culmination of success. I view it as a "bowl game" type award. Public teams have cycles of upperclassmen dominated to learning curve/teaching of younger first time starters. Many have expressed their concerns about 5 & 5 or less teams getting in along with providing only those teams in which displayed hard work ethics to achieve a reward at the end of the season. Some refer to it a teaching kids that hard work and commitment to a cause will reap them benefits. I agree also to a point with this mode of thought.

If we as mentors strive to instill in the minds of our youth that success and reward only comes to those who go above and beyond normal we should take a look at some examples I am familiar with.

David Lipscomb and Lewis County started the season with inexperienced teams and the youth factor. Through dedicated coaching staffs and obviously hard work ethics among the players, they have consistently improved their skills to a point where they are very competitive at seasons end. By both teams securing a playoff spot this factor alone provides the "reward" that we as adults are trying to implant in our youth.

If another team breaks out of the gate with 6 wins because of experienced players or superior athletes and then becomes complacent toward the end in which leads them to losses as the season concludes, then I'll take the DL's & the LC's and reward them with a playoff spot even though their records are sub-par.

This last point leads me to a system that takes the top two seeds from each district as automatic. Then a independent selection committee should evaluate each team thereafter to determine if their efforts warrants a playoff reward. Mathematically you can get close but at some point common sense combined with human observation and evaluation has to be injected into the equation. :thumb:

One of the biggest problems with fewer teams has to be, scheduling, why would any team make a challenging schedule when on the backside they would surely be penalized by losses. Didn't a 3-7 Livingston Academy team win a State Championship several years back? (Don't attack!!! I could be wrong here)

Try 5 and 5 but LA played the toughest schedule for 4 yrs in all classifications