Hilltoppers

bringiton34

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well all i know that the banquet is supposed to be tomorrow night, and if he is planning to be gone he sures has not sold that to my son and the other ninth graders....he told them about winter workouts and conditioning and how hard it was going to be...i know this he was at every one of the 9th grade games except one...kids seem to love him

Fluff.

I hope for your sons sake there is a new head coach as he starts high school. At the risk of sounding like an old timer I would like to add that I had respect and a certain amount of fear of my head coach. He got more out of us than our talent should have allowed. Today I realize how much he taught me about life, not just football, but life and I am glad that I was able to tell him that before he passed away but it took me years to realize what he did for me. So like and love at this age should be replaced by respect and a certain amount of fear IMO.

Before you all drink anymore of the Kool Aid that he is dishing out about the 8th and 9th grade talent level and his excuse being that he did not have the talent this year..... remember this years seniors had the same success as your teams did, they got derailed by a lack of coaching and discipline at the top.

Good luck to your son and all the upcoming Toppers, work hard every day because the day you take off is the day your opponent gets a day ahead of you.....

If I were among the powers to be at SH, I would try to lure Shawn Witten. He has a proven “Three Year Program”. They need a coach at Science Hill that not only knows the game but is a true motivator, for the sake of not only the players but the fans and that program in general. That is exactly what Witten would bring to the table. I say SHOW HIM THE MONEY!!!

If they could lure Witten away from Betsy, I think this would get SH competitive in a hurry. He's turned around Elizabethton in a short time. It'd be interesting.

well all i know that the banquet is supposed to be tomorrow night, and if he is planning to be gone he sures has not sold that to my son and the other ninth graders....he told them about winter workouts and conditioning and how hard it was going to be...i know this he was at every one of the 9th grade games except one...kids seem to love him

Fluff.

I hope for your sons sake there is a new head coach as he starts high school. At the risk of sounding like an old timer I would like to add that I had respect and a certain amount of fear of my head coach. He got more out of us than our talent should have allowed. Today I realize how much he taught me about life, not just football, but life and I am glad that I was able to tell him that before he passed away but it took me years to realize what he did for me. So like and love at this age should be replaced by respect and a certain amount of fear IMO.

Before you all drink anymore of the Kool Aid that he is dishing out about the 8th and 9th grade talent level and his excuse being that he did not have the talent this year..... remember this years seniors had the same success as your teams did, they got derailed by a lack of coaching and discipline at the top.

Good luck to your son and all the upcoming Toppers, work hard every day because the day you take off is the day your opponent gets a day ahead of you.....

Are you referencing Coach Snake Evans? We played hard for 2 reasons: 1) for pride and the tradition (bring back the gold helmets and the true colors) that everyone knew about and 2) a respectful fear of the man on Monday. I didn't always like him, but I respected him, feared him and in the long haul loved him for what he made us into.

Fluff.

Are you referencing Coach Snake Evans? We played hard for 2 reasons: 1) for pride and the tradition (bring back the gold helmets and the true colors) that everyone knew about and 2) a respectful fear of the man on Monday. I didn't always like him, but I respected him, feared him and in the long haul loved him for what he made us into.

I played one year for Coach Evans in football then Tommy Hundley who was also the type of Coach that understood the pride of being a Hilltopper. My benefit was that Coach Evans was still the track coach after he stopped coaching football so his mentoring continued. Under these men you gave your all and they played the best players at all times, if you were called on to play both ways (which most did) then it was EXPECTED that you would be in shape to do that. This does not happen under the current coach as he allows excuses and not only allows them but makes them. Why come out in the paper talking about all the talent that is years away? A good coach develops what they have and in high school you can be a great passing team for a few years, then maybe a running team for a few years, then a balanced attack but bottom line you use the talent you have. 30 to 40 years from now I dare say there will be few if any former Hilltoppers talking about the life lessons SS taught them or how he worked to bring out the best in them.

I feel bad for stirring up a can of worms.....i read the paper, when did he talk about players of the future and topper79, did you have a son that played for smith, i have seen practice and i have seen games...i certainly do not agree with his play calling but his teams look to play hard for him.....is there something about his character or lack of it that i am missing...again sorry for stirring this crap up....

I feel bad for stirring up a can of worms.....i read the paper, when did he talk about players of the future and topper79, did you have a son that played for smith, i have seen practice and i have seen games...i certainly do not agree with his play calling but his teams look to play hard for him.....is there something about his character or lack of it that i am missing...again sorry for stirring this crap up....

Yes I do have a son that played the last three season's and I have been supportive through the years as it does no one any good to talk about it during the season. I always told my son when he would come home frustrated about one thing or another that it is easy to be a leader during the good times but a true leader will continue to do his/her best when things are not going well.

He has mentioned the younger classes quite a bit on tricitiessports.com and his interview after the Central game he stated that the 8th and 9th grade classes are loaded with talent. Basically he said that next year they will not be too good but the year after they will be "tough...Tough".

I have attended games this year for each grade and I in no way downplay the talent we have in the program and congratulate each of the teams for the fine season. Overall it is the direction the program has taken that is most troublesome to me. Too many delay of game penalties because we can not get the play in on time, watching players searching their arm bands for the play and the ball being snapped and other things that come from the top.

After three years I do not see a positive direction in the football program and I have been a season ticket holder back to the time that Bob May was the head coach so I have witnessed the good and bad through the years.

Good Luck to your son and I will be there to support the Toppers no matter who is coaching the team.