Dobyns-Bennett Football

King-of-Sport

Rolltribe,I 100% agree with your first statement {commitment of the players in the off season}.Not near enough of the big guys are hitting the weights,and when some of the players got together during the summer to run,everyone should have been there when they could.There is no way that guys less than 200 pounds should be the strongest on the team.I bet money that Chris will be one of the two or three strongest on the bench this year.That's because I know he is already.We have a couple of returners that are pretty strong,but there is no reason why we shouldn't have 10 or 15 benching 300 plus.I can't imagine having a 270 pound boy at home that couldn't bench his own weight five or ten times unless he had health problems.

Bench 300 plus, I'm really not following? Yes you need upper body strength but your power and explosion comes from you legs and your lower back takes punishment so thats also very important. I dont care if you bench 500 if you get beat off the line your history.

One reason the drive is not in the kids is because most of the fun and closeness of the program has been taken out of the football program. One thing I will applaude South with is their Head Coach and the relationship he had with his team. This is one thing DB dont have. I guess thats part of the reason he got Coach of the year, cause you can see and feel it from them. I'm not making this statement to take away from GC because I think he is a good person and Coach. I think he needs to make some ajustments. He needs to stepback and re-evaluate his relationship with his players. When players make it a POINT to avoid/stay away from him, thats not good. He needs to establish a good repore with them. He would get more out of them individualy and as a team. You dont have to be sarcastic/rude in every breath to have discipline, rules and structure. Like I said, I'm not bashing GC. I just feel that this is a very important thing thats missing from our program that we need.

One reason the drive is not in the kids is because most of the fun and closeness of the program has been taken out of the football program. One thing I will applaude South with is their Head Coach and the relationship he had with his team. This is one thing DB dont have. I guess thats part of the reason he got Coach of the year, cause you can see and feel it from them. I'm not making this statement to take away from GC because I think he is a good person and Coach. I think he needs to make some ajustments. He needs to stepback and re-evaluate his relationship with his players. When players make it a POINT to avoid/stay away from him, thats not good. He needs to establish a good repore with them. He would get more out of them individualy and as a team. You dont have to be sarcastic/rude in every breath to have discipline, rules and structure. Like I said, I'm not bashing GC. I just feel that this is a very important thing thats missing from our program that we need.

This may be true about Clark but I know for a fact who the best coach is going head to head and that is Graham Clark. If I had the choice as to who I'd rather play for Carter or Clark, it would be Clark, hands down. Thats the bottom line. As for the players having the drive to work hard to get better, I think the past two years has been the first time we have ever had this problem at DB. A friend of mine coached several of these players in pee-wee and he warned me it was comming. You could count the number of dedicated seniors on one hand without using your thumb. This senior class was small in numbers, small in size, and small in dedication. Good kids and all but just not cut out to be football players.

Nation,sure you must have lower body and core strenth as an athlete.Speed training is very important too.What kind of athlete doesn't want the whole package ? I'm just simply asking our big guys to be able to bench their own weight a few times.Most big guys can squat some weight,for the simple reason it's part of their every day task :thumb:I'm just saying,While they are young and healthy,don't act like a 40 plus year old man with lots of injuries,man up on every phase of your workout !! That is,if they want to compete with the Maryville's of the world.

This may be true about Clark but I know for a fact who the best coach is going head to head and that is Graham Clark. If I had the choice as to who I'd rather play for Carter or Clark, it would be Clark, hands down. Thats the bottom line. As for the players having the drive to work hard to get better, I think the past two years has been the first time we have ever had this problem at DB. A friend of mine coached several of these players in pee-wee and he warned me it was comming. You could count the number of dedicated seniors on one hand without using your thumb. This senior class was small in numbers, small in size, and small in dedication. Good kids and all but just not cut out to be football players.

I totally agree with you Wacko but, my point was not who is the better coach. I agree Clark is the better coach but my example was Stacy and how he constructed his team. He had structure, discipline and rules yet, he treated his player like family and with a little respect. I'm not putting Clarks coaching skill's in to question, I'm just saying that he does not have to be sarcastic and rude in every word spoken to these kids. He needs to give back a little of the respect that he demands. These guys have tough skin and sure they get yelled, cussed and benched when they do something wrong but like i said when deserved. ClarK is like this 24-7 with these kids and it's not good for the team or individualy. He needs to step back and re-evaluate his relationship with his players. This is just my opinion by what I have seen and heard time and time again and by conversation with Several individuals. It does not make them meaner, have tougher skin or a better player, its just creates a false respect for the coach and less eager to perform, when in doubt. You would get real sick and tired of someone doing this this to you daily and would probably kick their butt. They have to sit there and take it just so they can play the game they love,but it still gets real old and pretty much all they can do is try and avoid it as much as possible. Coach Clark needs to remember what kind of place he was in when he was a player at DB and how Fred Walton was there for him and pushed him through as a Coach. Clark would not have made it through with out him.

Nation,sure you must have lower body and core strenth as an athlete.Speed training is very important too.What kind of athlete doesn't want the whole package ? I'm just simply asking our big guys to be able to bench their own weight a few times.Most big guys can squat some weight,for the simple reason it's part of their every day task :thumb:I'm just saying,While they are young and healthy,don't act like a 40 plus year old man with lots of injuries,man up on every phase of your workout !! That is,if they want to compete with the Maryville's of the world.

agree and understood.

I know what your talking about IndianNation. I wish Clark had a better personality than he does. All the South fans wish I had a better personality to, but Im not a coach with 90 players under me. I really don't think Clark means anything negative with his sarcasim. He's a hard nut to crack in any kind of conversation. Many times saying things that could have more than one meaning. Sometimes it comes across as rude, sometimes funny, and sometimes you just shake your head and think....what did he say? But on the practice field he's pretty straight forward. All things considered, if im a player in upper east Tn. I would rather play for Clark and Dobyns Bennett than any school up here. Im not saying that just because im a DB'r either. Its a no-brainer. Anybody that says different is just a hater or their kidding their self.

I know what your talking about IndianNation. I wish Clark had a better personality than he does. All the South fans wish I had a better personality to, but Im not a coach with 90 players under me. I really don't think Clark means anything negative with his sarcasim. He's a hard nut to crack in any kind of conversation. Many times saying things that could have more than one meaning. Sometimes it comes across as rude, sometimes funny, and sometimes you just shake your head and think....what did he say? But on the practice field he's pretty straight forward. All things considered, if im a player in upper east Tn. I would rather play for Clark and Dobyns Bennett than any school up here. Im not saying that just because im a DB'r either. Its a no-brainer. Anybody that says different is just a hater or their kidding their self.

Can't disagree with the two of you. I'd say by having to sit back and look at this season Clark will make some changes, team wise and personally. Kids change kids change kids change. Coaches have to roll with it or move on to the next thing. I'm not saying he is anywhere close to moving on, not one bit, but I think that is the general concensus with coaching as a whole everywhere.

Indiannation since you have a problem with the football coaches I wonder what you think about the basketball coach Morgan. Because I have heard many people say he is one of the biggest coaches at Db ruining self esteem of his players. I know you know first hand a player that plays hard but misses many lay ups in critical situations. I was just wondering what you thought about his dedication because as many basketball coaches say what you do in the offseason shows in up in the winter and it seems like he wasn't to dedicated.

Indiannation since you have a problem with the football coaches I wonder what you think about the basketball coach Morgan. Because I have heard many people say he is one of the biggest coaches at Db ruining self esteem of his players. I know you know first hand a player that plays hard but misses many lay ups in critical situations. I was just wondering what you thought about his dedication because as many basketball coaches say what you do in the offseason shows in up in the winter and it seems like he wasn't to dedicated.

Fanatic I dont have a problem with the DB football coaches. I think they are good coaches and Good men. I just expressed my opinion, I think if GC would be more personable with his players it would have a positive effect on team. There is really no reason for him to talk to the players in a sarcastic manner all the time. Like I said before, I'm not trying to take anything away from him or his coaching. Now on to the next, Coach Morgan, I don't have any insight on this coach so there for I really don't know. I have heard just like you but I have no personal knowledge of what he says to his players or what he does. I do however watch some of the games and yes I have seen several players miss critical layups but you seem to be trying to lable someone individualy. There again, I'm not sure were you are trying to go or who exactly you are talking about. I more watch basketball at the beginning of the year to get a feel of were they are going to be in the season and who the new talents are. I also like the local rival games. Maybe you think you know who I am, is that it? Just trying to figure your post out and answer you questions.

Fanatic one more question, were did I say GC was ruining the players self esteem? I'm not trying to play this like its peewee, they are big boys and will be ok regardless. I just had an opinion that this would help the team and players as individuals. Player/ Coach relationships are very important, but I figured someone would do just what you did and make it a personal issue with GC, it's not.

Don't forget the aspect of playing time. It is, in fact, not necessarily a no-brainer, hater, or kidder.

GC tends to really stick with only 15 or so kids who get significant playing time. Perhaps this year it was necessary; but this has been a long term topic on this board. Someone who can be a two year starter at North or South or Central might not view GC and D-B as the NET football nirvana. Football is too hard of a game to practice and prepare for to not get to play. I wonder if some of the negativity on this thread towards GC would lessen if D-B did more two platooning

Anyway, he is a great coach and will continue to dominate NET; he could also cut down on the crying on this thread if he could advance deeper in the playoffs. Everyone loves success. And don't forget, he has the greatest HS assistant coach in NET history in Defensive Coordinator Watson.

Also, Waco, I hear that D-B is considering going to the triple option - Ga Tech style. Any truth to that?