Dobyns-Bennett Football

King-of-Sport

The fieldhouse and the turf would suggest that the school board is behind the program.

The fieldhouse would never been built had it not been for private doners. The turf is "supposed" to save money over a 10 year period. I think most of the school board did support the changes. These things are nice to look at and will make life a little easier but neither will ever win a single game for DB. I don't think the school board is allowing for all the pieses to be put in place to build a championship program. The problems with the middle school coaching is a no-brainer. The school board needs to step up and make the changes now.

Congratulations to all the players that made the first and second team All North East Tennessee team.Patrick Hanson and Chris Sensabaugh on the first team offense.Derrick Steele and Devin Ricker on the first team defense.Cody Fuller and Rusty Clark on the second team offense.Sean Seabolt and Jason Michael on the second team defense.There are a lot of fine players from here to Morristown and you all should be honored,great job guys !

Batman -

Very good question! Following the embarassing loss at M'ville, I have been thinking of what it would take to get there, as well.

Here are a few thoughts off the top of my head, but really one word sums it up...commitment.

Commitment from the current players to not be outworked in the off season. Stronger, faster, smarter...

Commitment from the school system administration to hire the best athletic director for DB. Commitment from the system admin to create and maintain an atmosphere that is conducive to competing at the highest level. Read: Ensure that coaches at middle school level are qualified and are on same page as high school coaching staff.

Commitment for the AD to hire the best possible coach. Commitment from the AD to create and maintain an atmosphere that is conducive to competing at the highest level.

Commitment from the coach to hire the best possible coaching staff. Commitment from the coaches to create and maintain an atmosphere that is conducive to competing at the highest level. Coaches need to be involved and aware of what is happening in both youth and middle school football.

Community involvement cannot be underestimated.

Good post RTR, I'm in agreement with your statments. My page 3 post on this thread supports this.

Waco,I just didn't think Maryville was near as good as White station.That one young man just pretty much took over the game early for White station.It was 37-20 at one point in the fourth and there was no question in my mind from early in the second who would win.The team that will never get a better chance than they did was my old Devils.When you get by the number 1 team and have all those chances early in the finals,you have to finish the deal.

Never say never Batman. Greenville is in a good situation now in 4A. Theres always good players in that area and people are getting behind their program more than ever. Id say they'll be a contender most years.

I'll have to say that I was wrong about Greeneville playing against schools their own size.I guess it was a pride thing when most of the old timers heard about the move.When I was growing up,it was Dobyns-Bennett,Tennessee High,Science Hill,Elizabethton,Central,East, Blue Devils,Greene Devils ,Morristown and then Morristown East and West.Erwin and Central were teams that would hit you hard in those days.Had Greeneville been playing 2A back years ago when there was just three classes,it would have been much like todays schedule.Shoot,Greeneville even had Maryville on their schedule a hand full of times in the late sixties and early seventies. I know a lot of Tribe fans felt the same about leaving the Big East,but their are some fine teams in the big eight.Dobyns-Bennett and Greeneville have to do just what they done this year in the non conference games.I would have love to see Dobyns-Bennett and Greeneville this year.The tribe would have won unless they done some stupid things like in the Sevier county and Boone games or the McMinn game last year.

Waco,I just didn't think Maryville was near as good as White station.That one young man just pretty much took over the game early for White station.It was 37-20 at one point in the fourth and there was no question in my mind from early in the second who would win.The team that will never get a better chance than they did was my old Devils.When you get by the number 1 team and have all those chances early in the finals,you have to finish the deal.

Batman, it's not my thread but I have to respond. White Station was a joke. They were a one trick pony. Maryville will come back next year, and the next, and... They (White Station) had a great RB. He was really good. They had a great D. Maryville no D...what-so-ever. That is what beat them. A lack of D. The White Station QB was not an athlete. He was a circus clown. And he made all the kiddies laugh at the Maryville D. Quarles was ashamed. White Station's coach was like, "What ever gets you through the night". I agree that it was done in the 2nd. Was GQ out coached? Well, maybe you could call it "out tricked". I mean seriously, would you call that football. Again, the White Station RB was premier. GQ should have taken a que from Darryl Watson at DB and sent an all out blitz on that Fran Tarkenton guy. Teach him a lesson. GQ choked. Who's the better program? I think we all know. Again, White Station had some athletes on both sides of the ball. But it wasn't the QB.

Regarding Greeneville...They have been a football powerhouse for quite some time. Decades actually. They have just had a slide up until 2007. I don't have to tell you anything. But the trouble South had with them the past few years was made to look like a degradation to South. Instead of an empowerment to Greenville. I'm sad that Greeneville dropped down in classification but I guess that is the way it should have been years ago. They will bounce right back. Good programs do that. We wanted to upgrade NET...I think we are on the right track.

Batman, it's not my thread but I have to respond. White Station was a joke. They were a one trick pony. Maryville will come back next year, and the next, and... They (White Station) had a great RB. He was really good. They had a great D. Maryville no D...what-so-ever. That is what beat them. A lack of D. The White Station QB was not an athlete. He was a circus clown. And he made all the kiddies laugh at the Maryville D. Quarles was ashamed. White Station's coach was like, "What ever gets you through the night". I agree that it was done in the 2nd. Was GQ out coached? Well, maybe you could call it "out tricked". I mean seriously, would you call that football. Again, the White Station RB was premier. GQ should have taken a que from Darryl Watson at DB and sent an all out blitz on that Fran Tarkenton guy. Teach him a lesson. GQ choked. Who's the better program? I think we all know. Again, White Station had some athletes on both sides of the ball. But it wasn't the QB.

Regarding Greeneville...They have been a football powerhouse for quite some time. Decades actually. They have just had a slide up until 2007. I don't have to tell you anything. But the trouble South had with them the past few years was made to look like a degradation to South. Instead of an empowerment to Greenville. I'm sad that Greeneville dropped down in classification but I guess that is the way it should have been years ago. They will bounce right back. Good programs do that. We wanted to upgrade NET...I think we are on the right track.

The Nutty Professor :lol:

The Nutty Professor :lol:

Exactly. Offering coaching advice to GQ. Wow. From a South fan, no less.

Maybe compusaman will next critique Einstein's theory of relativity.

Yes, every year we will have to gauge our team by Maryville standards to make a championship run.Maryville was young this year to,and thats not good for everyone playing 6A football.Another team that will be a monster again is OakRidge.I can deal with our team getting beat by a better team while giving it 100%,but getting "out worked " is not an option for our guys right now.

Yes, every year we will have to gauge our team by Maryville standards to make a championship run.Maryville was young this year to,and thats not good for everyone playing 6A football.Another team that will be a monster again is OakRidge.I can deal with our team getting beat by a better team while giving it 100%,but getting "out worked " is not an option for our guys right now.

I'm still trying to figure out where and when the "change-of-philosophy" occurred with the DB football program? My boys played all 4 years each and were challenged from the time they were freshman to get in the weight room, bulk up, build up endurance, adjust their attitude, and not to settle for being 2nd best, this was an on-going thing all year long between the team mates! My boys both could bench 300+ pounds before their senior year and it is something that has stayed and continues with them to this very day. I just don't understand WHY the boys are not in the weight room every spare moment of the off season and developing the correct work ethic that is REQUIRED to succeed at football.

I don't know the answer db71,but I think it has to start at home. I think change is going to start with Big Hayworth.He will bench 400 plus pounds and at some point pride will get the young lineman fired up.

Your probably correct with it starting at home Batman. Moms/dads should ignite that competetive fire under their sons and also support the coaching staff and get involved! The excitement level of DB football seems to have diminished during the last couple years, can't put my finger on the reason. If you or anyone else has an opinion why I'd be more than glad to hear it. One thing is for sure in football, you cannot have a PASSIVE attitude about the game in any area and be successful, this includes parents, coaches, teaches, administrators and players.

I don't know the answer db71,but I think it has to start at home. I think change is going to start with Big Hayworth.He will bench 400 plus pounds and at some point pride will get the young lineman fired up.

Your probably correct with it starting at home Batman. Moms/dads should ignite that competetive fire under their sons and also support the coaching staff and get involved! The excitement level of DB football seems to have diminished during the last couple years, can't put my finger on the reason. If you or anyone else has an opinion why I'd be more than glad to hear it. One thing is for sure in football, you cannot have a PASSIVE attitude about the game in any area and be successful, this includes parents, coaches, teaches, administrators and players.

I won't have one playing next year,but I'm pretty excited about beating some of the teams we lost to this year and getting the world back in it's rightfull DB place !! I knew we didn't have the horses and the speed this year,but I had to stand with them nomatter what.We have lost a lot of good athletes from the last few classes and it really hurt us this year.I hope it will get turned around and I look forward to watching Rusty and the guys next year.Roll Tribe