Recruiting/ By High Schools

dou

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality, a private school has to "recruit" every student at their school.

Unless there is proof that they are actually paying off the parents to send their children to a school, this whole thing is just a pointless conversation.

Everybody needs to think really hard about these wise words above. A private school does not have an automatic student body provided by the "neigborhood." Most have entrance exams or at least standards, so not just anybody can go there. And there is tuition. And fortunately, many schools can offer NEEDS BASED FINANCIAL AID. Forget the "Academic Scholarship" BS. That term is used to generate sniggers from those small minded who will never understand the private school experience. Kids who get "AID" have special talents, be it athletic, academic, artistic or whatever. A Russian Jew or an Egyptian Muslim kid might get the nod partially for ethnic diversity. What sickens ME are the people who think that the 6'5" 280 kid up the street is the property of the local school and raise heck when he skips off to a private school, especially if he returns later to whip the local team's behind. They care nothing about what might be best for the kid, only the local team's won-loss record. An often repeated quip is "What public school would he be at IF you hadn't "recruited" him away?" They never ask WHY the kid's family chose the private over the public school. They could learn something.

Some keep bringing up the "open houses" "camps" and "combines" with "invitations" as a form of "recruiting." How else are you going to get your message out, to showcase your facilities, etc.? My school hosts the Bridges Classic, a postseason All Star game, and recently a Memphis Grizzlies practice. Are these all "recruiting" venues? Some point out that "not everybody" gets invited. What do you not understand? Some events are NOT public, NOT open to everybody. There are a limited number of "grants." Why in the world would they send out INVITATIONS to everybody? If it's an OPEN HOUSE, then everybody can come, and these are advertised in the newspaper and on TV. And some never accept the fact that when the good word gets out, parents and kids come to these schools without solicitation. They actually WANT to be there. As Galilee said, "once you start winning, parents recruit YOU!"

One last word. If you can't play and possibly lose to these schools in sports, academic or artistic competition, or whatever, WITHOUT WHINING ABOUT RECRUITING then urge your school NOT to engage in the competition in first place!

Here in Jefferson County we have no or few options.There are no private schools to choose from .We have only one high school .Webb and Catholic has been the choice for the few families(mostly doctors kids) that are willing or able to afford the long commutes to knoxville .As a result of JC's monopoly on the educational opportunities > our elected officials and administration have done nothing for our students in over 30 years.No schools have been built,almost nothing has been repaired,the buildings are falling apart,lead paint,roofs leaking,mold everywhere,canopies crashing down,air conditioning inoperable,bathroom stalls without doors for privacy.There is not one school here that shouldn't be tore down and replaced.it's a neverending comedy of incompetence/arrogance/and likely criminal activity.Generations of officials have lied to our citizens for decades.We have allowed them to raise taxes,they have instituted some on there own,Impact fees,raises in county sales taxes.a tax on our county auto tags.We even got a huge amount of stimulus money( million dollars)!All to no avail.Projects get voted on then voted out .Architects are becoming millionares drawing up plans then revising them ,then the plans end up lost.Our community ges mad and votes out afew of them ,but then replaces them with people just like them. And another year passes.For some reason we continue to elect decent hardworking/ respected /church going/long time citizens "from here" and they lose their minds once in office.I pray that someday the State Attorney or some other State or Federal authority will someday come to Jefferson County and investigate these matters and prosecute the guilty.But I have little confidence that this will happen.Afterall it makes more sense for the authorities to chase after "#### fighting,cocaine,prostitution,chop shops,meth labs ect" and other exciting crimes! Evidently the children of our community are not worth helping,and our officials' crimes are not worth investigating.In conclusion I am not blaming teachers or coaches...they are doing there best ! If I Had it to do over again I would not live here. P.S. Yet another school superintendant has left office....I guess she didn't think jail was worth it and refused to "PLAY BALL"

Fellers......STARSBARS recrootin' and garbige survuss iz nevur thankin' abowt nuthin' butt recrootin' and haulin' garbige....Betwixst Sunday Skool and worship survuss todat eye haid out tha old stop watch timin' tha 3 yeer olds runnin' down tha hall two Childrun's Church...... :roflol:

I have no clue what all this means but I concur 100%

Fellers......STARSBARS recrootin' and garbige survuss iz nevur thankin' abowt nuthin' butt recrootin' and haulin' garbige....Betwixst Sunday Skool and worship survuss todat eye haid out tha old stop watch timin' tha 3 yeer olds runnin' down tha hall two Childrun's Church...... :roflol:

I have no clue what all this means but I concur 100%

Yeah and ewe ort two uhgree wif hit two...... :blush:

• 2 months later...
I think LCHS recruited their T #72 from the New York Giants. :thumb:

I am of course kidding again, but we have a pretty good sized kid in Lafarius Hoskins (6'4" 330) and that guy made him look small. That is the hugest high school player I have seen in person. Anyone know where he is going to school next year?

His name is Charles Sweeton, and he is in the 6'6-6'7 range, and hovers around 300. He is attracting serious attention from Austin Peay, and UT-Martin. I believe he has made official visits to both, and Austin Peay has visited him at school and made a house visit. If i had a guess, I would say that he goes to Peay, if he doesn't get an offer from a D-1 school. ;)

Recruiting does go on by both publics and privates and it can get pretty sleazy in some places. However, what a lot of people overlook is that most of the supposed "illegal" public school recruiting is actually done by the kids themselves (Hey man, you're awesome! You should come play with us at ______."), and that in some places with open enrollment it's not necessarily illegal in the first place. Successful programs often don't even have to recruit: kids and parents line up to recruit them.

I know some programs that have been hurt by recruiting. I went to Volunteer and every year I was in school we'd have about 4-5 kids who'd live in the Surgoinsville/Church Hill/Mt. Carmel areas driving 30+ minutes to attend (and start and sometimes even make All State teams) at other area schools. People liked to throw accusations around, and some of them might have been valid, but most of the time parents just thought their kids would get better opportunities at other schools and the kids themselves just plain did not want to attend Volunteer for whatever reason. I hear that the Greene Co. schools, smaller Carter Co. schools, etc. all have similar things to deal with.