District 9AA. Rank em.

Eaglepride00

The upset went down tonight in Lafayette and Macon County knocked off Sycamore 66-64.

1.) White House (3-0)

2.) Westmoreland (4-2)

3.) Greenbrier (2-2)

3.) Macon County (2-2)

5.) Goodpasture (1-3)

5.) Sycamore (1-3)

Westmoreland only has 4 more district games to go so their route to the title is easiest of all because everyone else has 6 district contests looming (except for White House who has 7 district games to go).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How bout those Eagles? While I don't think it will be easy, with only four games left, Westmoreland has put themselves in a nice postion so far. White House is definitely better than anyone thought. Coach Spencer does a great job of getting the most out of his talent and the 1-3-1 just lulls teams to sleep until they make a mistake. The other 4 teams are likely to beat up on each other as there is alot parity in this district. As good as they are, i doubt WH goes the rest of the way without a loss either. Should be interesting.

How 'bout that amazing comeback by the Bobcats last Friday night...huh? Those b.s. charging calls - which included a never-seen-before double charging/blocking foul ???!!! - by the usual 'T$$AA incompetents' kept Westmoreland in the game early, but a 20 pt. deficit wasn't sustained, even though the 'Cats also couldn't throw one in the ocean in the first quarter. Most of the game saw at least 4 of our soph's on the floor and they showed a lot of heart. Get used to it. 9AA's gonna see a LOT more of that as time goes on...this season and for the next 2. Sam Rhoten was - as Justin Timberlake says to Peyton Manning in that TV commercial - on fi-uhhh! The Thacker kid also sparked 'em off the bench.

GO 'Cats!

Sycamore at 14-8 overall and 3-3 in the district looks to be a team that is putting it together. They lost a heartbreaker to Macon County on Monday night but they did also beat Westmoreland last Friday night and then came back after the tough loss at the start of the week to beat both Goodpasture & Greenbrier. I think that the War Eagles are a team that nobody will want to play once tournament time rolls around.

Sycamore at 14-8 overall and 3-3 in the district looks to be a team that is putting it together. They lost a heartbreaker to Macon County on Monday night but they did also beat Westmoreland last Friday night and then came back after the tough loss at the start of the week to beat both Goodpasture & Greenbrier. I think that the War Eagles are a team that nobody will want to play once tournament time rolls around.

They DID NOT beat Greenbrier. The had it handed to 'em by 3 incompetent T$$AA employees wearing striped shirts. A pitiful and pathetic performance by three grown and out-of-shape men that I'm sure accepted payment for doing a VERY poor job...in the girls AND guys' games. It didn't affect the outcome of the girls, but it certainly did in the guys.

I just heard Roy Williams quoted as saying today's game has gone from basketball as it was originally meant to be played to hand-to-hand combat. I agree wholeheartedly. Last night's games confirmed it and the only ones that can control that are the hired guns: Coaches and refs. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that either one cares enough about their chosen profession - and I use that term VERY lightly regarding referees even though they are paid VERY well - to properly exercise their authority. I hold the T$$AA 100% responsible for the digression of this wonderful game. It's a shame today's superior athletes work so hard on getting better only to be physically assaulted almost while trying to play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

One last thought on this and I'll get off my soapbox: I believe that most refs know the game and the rules. My problem is that they're SO ARROGANT and let the fans' emotions and comments affect their judgment during the heat of the battle. I say if you can't take it, quit. The game will be better for it. And quit making that stupid statement before each game reminding us that derogatory and inflammatory comments shouldn't be used. If you're gonna do that, you should also give us a customer service (fans are paying customers, big-time) phone number to call when we need to report incompetent and arrogant referees. :popcorneater:B)

I will agree with you 5-Sport Dad that officials in the state of Tennessee are very bad. They are flat out terrible at times. They tell coaches at the start of every game "we'll talk to you if there's a questionable call" and yet that never happens. Officials do let the emotions of fans dictate how they call the games way too often.

At the same time however I am sure Sycamore has had that same gripe a few times this year as well. I know that there were a few lousy calls in Sycamore's losses at Greenbrier & at Macon County. Greenbrier is not the only team in the TSSAA that has had a right to complain about poor officials. It takes place everywhere :|

If you notice I do not reply or post very much.But when some one claims that a team did not win the game (it was given to them by the refs) needs to be addressed. I was at the game and I agree it was physical (to physical) both ways but that is the way the refs where calling in both girls and boys games. But to say that a team did not win the game is wrong Sycamore played hard as did Greenbrier both teams were beating on each other all night. Kids got banged up on both teams but don't take away the effort of the Sycamore kids because they won I did not see anybody doging the refs after Greenbrier won at home against Sycamore. I agree that refs are inconsistant but none of us want to do it, if we did we would have a wistle and a shirt on game nights and most likely we would be just as bad. Refs could blow a wistle on every position then we the fans would be griping to let them play. Some times it is hard to just cheer for the team when we fill that our team is being called against we want to get on the refs. That comes from both sides I am sure that the Sycamore fans where just has upset during the game as the Greenbrier fans due to some bad calls because they went both ways . I hope that Greenbrier and Sycamore finsish out the season strong and maybe we can see them play again for the district champioship because both game have been very fun to watch.

Well said! He didn't give Westmoreland any credit when they beat Greenbrier either. To Greenbrier's credit, it looks like Bradshaw is really stepping his game up when his team needs him the most. 27 pts vs. Sycamore and 30 last night vs. Goodpasture. By the way, I heard through the grapevine that the McElhiney kid's(Goodpasture) dad is in very poor health. I believe he is battling cancer and not doing well. So, if you see him you may want to say a kind word or give this young man some encouragement because his coach said he is really struggling.

On a lighter note, it may be Macon Co that is putting it together at the right time. If I am not mistaken, they are leading the district after a beat down of Westmoreland last night. Congrats to Coach Welch, one of the true "good guys" in coaching, and the Tigers.This is gonna be a crazy district tourney!