What it takes to be a championship team

In addition to your wonderful list I would add 2 very important ingredients: PLAYERS & OPPONENTS

IMHO you can win one championship occassionally with hard working, dedicated, well coached, well supported, disciplined players. And with those ingredients you will have a consistantly competitive squad year in year out. But to win mulitiple championships you need a mixture of players that includes all the above ingredients as well as some exceptional players, the college prospect types, not necessarily D1 prospects, but way above average high school players. Now, certainly some of that will come from feeder programs and coaches developing players. But the weight room and coaching can only get you so far. You have to have those kids with God given size, strength and speed. Thats luck of the draw or influenced geographically by having higher concentrations of those type athletes due to population base, employment opportunities for families, etc.....

And no matter how good you are, if there are other teams that have the same ingredients that you do and are in the same classification as you are, the law of averages will determine how many championships you can string together. If there are no other teams like that, then your odds of multiple championships goes up expodentially. Your district schedule as well as your bracketing in the state tournament can have great influence as well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post was not intended to be team specific; had nothing to do with Alcoa. YOU are the one vomiting at the mouth and cluttering up an honest, well-intended post. My intentions were to acknowledge all the factors that make up a championship team including fan, community and administrative support for our kids. What is the matter with you Dawg?

nutin' honey. just no respect for their fans and open school zone policy. :D

I agree with you 100% Termite. I've seen many championship teams that did not get the trophy. There are several of them across the state of Tennessee.

Stuff like.......Coaches playing an important role in turning kids into men, teaching the players life lessons. Teamwork, rules, responsibility, pride, disapointment, how to win with diginity and lose with grace. How to work hard to get what you want, and sometimes that's not enough.

Players giving everything they have every practice, every game, every play for the fans, other players, but mainly for themselves without expectations of reward. Making friends and memories that last a life time.

Parents and fans supporting the kids...win or lose.

Red Boiling Springs hadn't won a game in what ...4 years?? They won their 1st game this year. And you know what....just for that 1 night....they were a Championship team.

To me, that's what makes high school football so great. It's much,much more than trophies.

(but it sure would be nice to get one :D )

This post was not intended to be team specific; had nothing to do with Alcoa. YOU are the one vomiting at the mouth and cluttering up an honest, well-intended post. My intentions were to acknowledge all the factors that make up a championship team including fan, community and administrative support for our kids. What is the matter with you Dawg?

nutin' honey. just no respect for their fans and open school zone policy. :popcorneater:

Mr. thedawg44: honey?? Your "no respect" comment is appropriate - now you are being condescending to a female. Classless.

In addition to your wonderful list I would add 2 very important ingredients: PLAYERS & OPPONENTS

IMHO you can win one championship occassionally with hard working, dedicated, well coached, well supported, disciplined players. And with those ingredients you will have a consistantly competitive squad year in year out. But to win mulitiple championships you need a mixture of players that includes all the above ingredients as well as some exceptional players, the college prospect types, not necessarily D1 prospects, but way above average high school players. Now, certainly some of that will come from feeder programs and coaches developing players. But the weight room and coaching can only get you so far. You have to have those kids with God given size, strength and speed. Thats luck of the draw or influenced geographically by having higher concentrations of those type athletes due to population base, employment opportunities for families, etc.....

And no matter how good you are, if there are other teams that have the same ingredients that you do and are in the same classification as you are, the law of averages will determine how many championships you can string together. If there are no other teams like that, then your odds of multiple championships goes up expodentially. Your district schedule as well as your bracketing in the state tournament can have great influence as well.

True Footballdad. Championship teams don't always go home with the golden ball. The program you represent is a championship team in my book!

nutin' honey. just no respect for their fans and open school zone policy. :thumb:

Mr. thedawg44: honey?? Your "no respect" comment is appropriate - now you are being condescending to a female. Classless.

got a question for ya. are you from alcoa? now be honest.

Great topic. There are so many factors that change year to year, week to week, and day by day. My train of thought evolves around the concept of maintaining a "championship caliber" type team. The actual "championship" emerges as a byproduct. Once you have established a program that year by year emits earned respect from your peers, then the deciding factor to actually take home the prize will be luck. Take all the ingredients; parents, players, coaches, community support, administration support, alumni support, etc, and it still filters down to one or two plays at the end. I have always been amazed that every game is decided by two or three plays. A team positions itself to make those plays by having a championship caliber type attitude.

I believe two words define teams success or failure.

Success = Consistency. Head coach sets the expectations & goals. EVERYONE else, assistants, parents, players, fans, and all others, provide positive support toward his objectives. If negative attitudes are allowed to be injected into the equation, it will spread rampant and destroy the team. Be consistent in discipline, effort, rewards, attitude, preparation, execution, and goals. Great teams are a result of being a good team year in and year out. Sooner or later lady luck will show up.

Failure = Complacent. When the time comes that a coach, assistant, player, or support personnel starts to believe they have arrived and are now unbeatable, defeat is near. The team that's never satisfied with their performance and continues to work every day to get better will be a championship team.

:thumb:

techinally football mom the dawg really hasn't said anything that isn't true, alcoa's open enrollment has helped their championship teams. it does seem that kinda got under your skin. and that being condescending to a woman line is just a crutch, you where condescending to him first, saying that he was "spewing vomit" when he made a valid point. don't take a swing in one post and then play the victim in the next. and don't take it so personal, usually when something elicits a response like yours it's because there was truth in what was said.

snoball....out! :thumb:

True Footballdad. Championship teams don't always go home with the golden ball. The program you represent is a championship team in my book!

I like your book ffmom :thumb: Good luck the rest of the way, I'm sure I'll be over partaking of some band burgers the next couple of weeks.

I think everyone has covered just about every aspect of a championship team, A one and done

team is a little bit different than a program that seems to be near the top most of the time.

I believe here at Milan one of the best things about our football team is that all the kids get along

and respect each other regardless of their differences ....Coach Morris demands it, and it

pays off.

techinally football mom the dawg really hasn't said anything that isn't true, alcoa's open enrollment has helped their championship teams. it does seem that kinda got under your skin. and that being condescending to a woman line is just a crutch, you where condescending to him first, saying that he was "spewing vomit" when he made a valid point. don't take a swing in one post and then play the victim in the next. and don't take it so personal, usually when something elicits a response like yours it's because there was truth in what was said.

snoball....out! :roflol:

Plenty of people bring up the open enrollment issue, but not many have been able to explain how it accounts for Alcoa's 10 championships. If you respond please be specific ;) Hint: You should be able to provide ratio of homegrown players to imports BTW if you don't know anything about the neighborhoods (Hall, Springbrook, etc.) you may want to stay out of it :blush:

What does it take to be a state championship team and a powerhouse for multiple years?? I have seen these discussions on other state high school football boards. Some of my thoughts........

A. You must have confidence and experience. The players and coaches must believe in themselves and all members of the team. Playmakers have to step up and produce when they are behind. Teammates and coaches are encouraging each other to be the best they can be.

B. Support from parents, boosters and the community at large. When all pull together to meet the financial needs of the team, the coaches can then concentrate on teaching our kids the game of football. The players have pride in their program, win or lose knowing that they are supported both financially and emotionally through all they achieve.

C. Good Athletic Directors and Administrative Support. Without this support, the team will always feel they are fighting an uphill battle. Encouragement and leadership in these areas boost morale for both coaches and players.

D. Having a good feeder system. Quality coaching at middle school and JV levels prepare these kids for leadership positions on their high school team. Consistency is also a key in this area.

E. Conditioning and strength programs are also key. Being 1/2 step quicker and a little bit stronger than the opponent across the field creates opportunities for the entire team.

F. Coaching. Pure knowledge of the game and the ability to get the most from the talent you have on the field is key. Discipline, discipline, discipline is mandatory to lead a group of young men to achieve success and to learn from mistakes.

Your thoughts??

What does it take? Maybe to be an Open zone school near a big city? That seems to help!