Big Games in Memphis ... Week 13 (Quarters & Semis)

kwc

My picks:

Melrose- 28

Mitchell- 18

As Trader B has said, Melrose is a much improved team from early season. I think the most improved thing is the offensive line play, which is allowing us to now see the talents of their fine young quarterback, the skill and sure hands of their recievers, and a solid running game. And though their defense is not as dominate and physically imposing as in past years, it is still better than most and capable of keeping this game/scoring within reach of their offensive.

Whitehaven- 14

White Station- 31

Whitehaven's coaches must have their team ready to play solid defense. This means sure tackling, limited penalties, good discipline, and smart controlled aggression. Whitehaven's defensive line must outplay White Stations's offensive line so that the LBs can drop into coverage and/or spy or easily get to the QB. Whitehaven must have solid play in its kicking game and not turn the ball over on offensive. Whitehaven's defense must set the tone for this game, particularly its defensive line. Will Whitehaven coaches take this approach and have their kids ready to execute it is the question? The answer is NO! If NO indeed turns out as being the answer, given the talent, numbers, limited obstacles (as compared with other inner-city schools), and support that this coach has had while at Whitehaven, the Whitehaven fans will want Saulsberry replaced; as based on what I heard in the stands at the Wooddale game.

ECS- 34

KW- 24

The better team will win.

MUS- 38

Father Ryan- 10

MUS is just on another level.

The portion that I highlighted is what makes things so frustrating. There isn’t any patience anymore in society. Whitehaven ... under the current head coach has NEVER sustained the consistent level of accomplishments in the past 20-30 years. Go look it up for yourself if you think I'm lying. Two second round exits in successive years and now a quarterfinal appearance ... which in an improvement. Coaches grow and learn just like everybody else. He is by far the best that Whitehaven has had in a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG time and removing him would be downright STUPID. Just like the Melrose fans ran of Ingram after he lost the Championship game to Maryville 7-6. THAT WAS STUPID TOO!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My picks:

Melrose- 28

Mitchell- 18

As Trader B has said, Melrose is a much improved team from early season. I think the most improved thing is the offensive line play, which is allowing us to now see the talents of their fine young quarterback, the skill and sure hands of their recievers, and a solid running game. And though their defense is not as dominate and physically imposing as in past years, it is still better than most and capable of keeping this game/scoring within reach of their offensive.

Whitehaven- 14

White Station- 31

Whitehaven's coaches must have their team ready to play solid defense. This means sure tackling, limited penalties, good discipline, and smart controlled aggression. Whitehaven's defensive line must outplay White Stations's offensive line so that the LBs can drop into coverage and/or spy or easily get to the QB. Whitehaven must have solid play in its kicking game and not turn the ball over on offensive. Whitehaven's defense must set the tone for this game, particularly its defensive line. Will Whitehaven coaches take this approach and have their kids ready to execute it is the question? The answer is NO! If NO indeed turns out as being the answer, given the talent, numbers, limited obstacles (as compared with other inner-city schools), and support that this coach has had while at Whitehaven, the Whitehaven fans will want Saulsberry replaced; as based on what I heard in the stands at the Wooddale game.

ECS- 34

KW- 24

The better team will win.

MUS- 38

Father Ryan- 10

MUS is just on another level.

The portion that I highlighted is what makes things so frustrating. There isn’t any patience anymore in society. Whitehaven ... under the current head coach has NEVER sustained the consistent level of accomplishments in the past 20-30 years. Go look it up for yourself if you think I'm lying. Two second round exits in successive years and now a quarterfinal appearance ... which in an improvement. Coaches grow and learn just like everybody else. He is by far the best that Whitehaven has had in a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG time and removing him would be downright STUPID. Just like the Melrose fans ran of Ingram after he lost the Championship game to Maryville 7-6. THAT WAS STUPID TOO!

KWC,

I may be wrong, but I thought Ingram was released at Melrose because he did not get/have the needed academic/teaching certifications/requirements.

As for the coaching situation at Whitehaven, I think Saulsberry should be replaced if Whitehaven loses and plays poorly against White Station. If Whitehaven is competitive and plays well, but just not well enough to win, he should be given more time to continue to improve as a coach, improve his coaching staff, and build the program in its current direction; otherwise if they do not play well and lose, you are doing everyone else, including the kids, a disservice if he remains the coach. In the Whitehaven community and at Whitehaven High School, the only tool that seems to be missing for deep play-off runs from time to time and beating some of the better play-off teams, is coaching. Let's not confuse this current play-off system, which resulted in Whitehaven playing and beating Germantown and Wooddale, as improved play-off performance just yet. This is all about playing to your potential; not underachieving. Whitehaven does not underachieve when it comes to academics, the marching band program, the arts, ACT scores and college preparedness for its kids: Why allow the football program to underachieve, given what the coaches get to work with (abundance of smart middle-class athletic kids and great community support)? They better get it done before Southwind figures it all out. :lol:

Somebody say Southwind? :o

Anyways with the Whitehaven situation, I know they beat the top 2 15AAA teams, but everyone on here knows the quality of this league has dipped significantly for at least this year. Collierville, Southwind, Houston, and I think Ridgeway didn't live up to expectations. Germantown in my opinion was the most overrated team. They didn't step out and play any good teams for their Out of District game and they got beat by CBHS in their only good one. Wooddale is a good team, but they made far too many mistakes to be considered a serious contender.

Whitehaven has two solid blueprints, that actually favor their tendencies, to undermining the Station D and enough speed and size to minimize their Offense. If they can't capitalize and get smoked again, you've got to really wonder man. With the new playoff system they may be able to reach the quarterfinals now every year, but I suspect the Qtr finals will become their hump just like the 2nd round has been recently.

As for the coaching situation at Whitehaven, I think Saulsberry should be replaced if Whitehaven loses and plays poorly against White Station. If Whitehaven is competitive and plays well, but just not well enough to win, he should be given more time to continue to improve as a coach, improve his coaching staff, and build the program in its current direction; otherwise if they do not play well and lose, you are doing everyone else, including the kids, a disservice if he remains the coach.

In the Whitehaven community and at Whitehaven High School, the only tool that seems to be missing for deep play-off runs from time to time and beating some of the better play-off teams, is coaching.

Let's not confuse this current play-off system, which resulted in Whitehaven playing and beating Germantown and Wooddale, as improved play-off performance just yet. This is all about playing to your potential; not underachieving. Whitehaven does not underachieve when it comes to academics, the marching band program, the arts, ACT scores and college preparedness for its kids: Why allow the football program to underachieve, given what the coaches get to work with (abundance of smart middle-class athletic kids and great community support)? They better get it done before Southwind figures it all out. :o

I see that I'm not alone, with these gut feelings---this game likely has much BIGGER implications for the future of Whitehaven's football program, than merely advancing to the Semi-Finals. This is an immensely pivotal game for Coach Saulsberry and his staff, whether they realize it or not...

This is all about how today's society is instant gratification. Nothing more and nothing less. Either you win it ALL .... NOW or we replace you. Forget that Whitehaven had been a perennial 6-4, 5-5 team a decade or two before Saulsberry's tenure with an occasional 9-3 record sprinkled in for good measure. The current coaching staff has been consistently putting a program on the field that has been in the top echelon of the city for the past three years. Fourthree ... I am quite aware of what Whitehaven has to work with as far as caliber of student athlete is concerned. Quite frankly ... I think the man should get a raise ... regardless of the outcome. He is one of the best around and yes ... advancing to the quarterfinal game is an improvement from the previous two years ... regardless of who they had to play to get there. This is just downright silly. Getting a good coach is a very hard thing to do ... they just don't fall off trees. Firing the present coach because their team didn't advance beyond a quarterfinal game in high school is plain DUMB! My goodness ... do you guys hear what you are saying? Whitehaven's football program has NEVER been in better hands ... yet the LUST FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP drives people beyond reason. Whitehaven would therefore bite off their nose to despite their face with this type of ludicrous thinking.

Ingram was qualified or he would have never got the job in the first place. Don't believe everything you hear. I was at the Melrose/Maryville championship game when Melrose lost 6-7. I witnessed the man break down in tears when they put the microphone in his face and asked him to say a few words. I remember also the Melrose fans ... jeering him ... calling him names ... ridiculing him ... after he and his team laid it all on the line. They were VICSIOUS ... and that's being mild. The next thing I hear ... he's gone to TSU. I didn't blame him one bit.

It's just more of the same with this lust filled society to get instant gratification and demand greatness without any patience whatsoever. It shouldn't surprise me ... but it does.

If the current coaching staff were struggling with 6-4 seasons or 5-5 ... I could see being upset and wanting a new coach. But to have had the consistent success and the advancement on the prior season ... It's just downright silly.

Good coaches are not easily found and what coach Saulsberry is doing over at WH is not an easy task. It is very difficult and he is doing an outstanding job. A bird in the hand is better then two in the bush ... any day of the week.

One more thing you should know. The administration at WH keeps everything they possibly can ... in house. What do I mean when I say that? The next HC at Whitehaven is going to be a Whitehaven alum. Like it or lump it ... that's how it is. As a matter of fact ... the majority of the coaching staff is comprised of Whitehaven alums. It's not going to change anytime soon and I wouldn't have it any other way.

LOL @ firing coach Saulsberry. That is the funniest thing I have heard on here in a LONG TIME! You guys are simply OUT OF YOUR COTTON PICKING MINDS! .... :lol::thumb::lol:

RESPECT DA HAVEN!

KWC, you are so correct.

While at Mitchell I took so much heat for sticking with coach Nathan Cole. He lost 2 title games but our program was one of the top in the city. Many times on this site Melrose and Whitehaven are the only two schools mention with strong community support, I guess noone has been to a Mitchell game. Our support is awesome and if you really look at it we have a harder task. Melrose and WH have their own stadiums, we do not. Still our fan support is awesome.

That is a blessing and a cursing. Many of those fans are displeased with no gold ball, but we have been in two finals and 4 semifinals in 10 years, I'll take that. Still our fans complain. Hiring Coach Cole was the best thing for Mitchell. We were in the dumps prior to his hiring and now is he among the top active coaches in winning percentages. Many alumni were upset with me for keeping him around, but I looked at the big picture.

Jason Smith's Prep Football Playoff Glance

(All playoff games begin at 7 p.m. local time unless noted.)

Class 6A

Whitehaven (10-2) vs. White Station (10-2) at Fairgrounds

Story lines: Whitehaven, a 14-13 second-round winner over Wooddale last week, is making its first state quarterfinal appearance since 2000 and just its third in school history. The Tigers have never advanced past the quarterfinals. White Station dispatched Kirby, 38-13, last week to reach the quarters for a fourth consecutive year. The Spartans got three TD passes from senior QB and Class AAA Mr. Football finalist Anthony Hayes in a 33-13 Week 2 victory at Whitehaven. The Tigers are 3-7 against White Station since 2000.

Mitchell (9-3) at Melrose (8-4)

Story lines: Like the Class 6A quarterfinal, this one pits two squads that met in the regular season. In Week 4, Melrose stopped a Mitchell two-point conversion attempt with no time remaining in regulation to preserve a 26-25 victory. The Tigers had rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit before electing to go for the win. Mitchell has scored 54 points in each of its two playoff victories. Tigers senior QB Robert Redmond has passed for a combined 706 yards and 10 TDs this postseason. Melrose, a 26-0 second-round winner over Hardin County, has given up a combined 30 points in its last five contests.

Division 2-AA

Nashville Father Ryan (8-3) at MUS (11-0)

Story lines: Defending D2-AA state-champion MUS has won 24 straight games since losing to Father Ryan in the 2007 D2-AA state quarterfinals. The Owls eliminated Chattanooga Baylor, 38-7, last week to advance to the semifinals for the sixth time this decade. Senior QB Barry Brunetti, a D2-AA Mr. Football finalist, has completed 112 of 198 passes for 1,891 yards, 21 TDs and zero interceptions. Father Ryan got a two-TD, 165-yard rushing performance from senior RB Nick Bateman in its 45-35 quarterfinal victory over Briarcrest Christian last week.

Division 2-A

Knoxville Webb (10-1) at ECS (10-1)

Story lines: Evangelical Christian School hasn't scored fewer than 42 points during its current four-game winning streak. The Eagles shut out Franklin Road Academy for three quarters last week before going on to win 42-3. Junior RB Davis Childers, a D2-A Mr. Football finalist, was one of two ECS backs to rush for more than 100 yards against FRA. Webb's lone loss this season was a 20-18 Week 9 road defeat at Davidson Academy. Brothers Aaron and Caleb Blance rushed for a combined 210 yards in the Spartans' 27-10 quarterfinal victory over St. George's.

Get 'em KWC! I totally agree with you. The man has definately made improvements, no reason whatsoever to even think about firing him. My gosh, if you used that logic on every coach, every year, that'd be crazy...

LOL @ "Get'em" ... Thanks wsttnballer for your support in this matter. I mean ... some folk can be just down right unreasonable. Firing the man under those circumstances is just ... well ... i'm at a loss for words ... and that's unlike me.

Get 'em KWC! I totally agree with you. The man has definately made improvements, no reason whatsoever to even think about firing him. My gosh, if you used that logic on every coach, every year, that'd be crazy...

LOL @ "Get'em" ... Thanks wsttnballer for your support in this matter. I mean ... some folk can be just down right unreasonable. Firing the man under those circumstances is just ... well ... i'm at a loss for words ... and that's unlike me.

Ha, I think you expressed yourself eloquently, didn't seem at a loss for words!

KWC, you are so correct.

While at Mitchell I took so much heat for sticking with coach Nathan Cole. He lost 2 title games but our program was one of the top in the city. Many times on this site Melrose and Whitehaven are the only two schools mention with strong community support, I guess noone has been to a Mitchell game. Our support is awesome and if you really look at it we have a harder task. Melrose and WH have their own stadiums, we do not. Still our fan support is awesome.

That is a blessing and a cursing. Many of those fans are displeased with no gold ball, but we have been in two finals and 4 semifinals in 10 years, I'll take that. Still our fans complain. Hiring Coach Cole was the best thing for Mitchell. We were in the dumps prior to his hiring and now is he among the top active coaches in winning percentages. Many alumni were upset with me for keeping him around, but I looked at the big picture.

Thank you Galilee for the co-sign. People wanted Cole fired? This is just crazy. Folks seem to think coaching high school football is like playing Playstation 3. They are so far from reality that they make Charles Manson look sane. It's simply unbelieveable.

This is all about how today's society is instant gratification. Nothing more and nothing less. Either you win it ALL .... NOW or we replace you. Forget that Whitehaven had been a perennial 6-4, 5-5 team a decade or two before Saulsberry's tenure with an occasional 9-3 record sprinkled in for good measure. The current coaching staff has been consistently putting a program on the field that has been in the top echelon of the city for the past three years. Fourthree ... I am quite aware of what Whitehaven has to work with as far as caliber of student athlete is concerned. Quite frankly ... I think the man should get a raise ... regardless of the outcome. He is one of the best around and yes ... advancing to the quarterfinal game is an improvement from the previous two years ... regardless of who they had to play to get there. This is just downright silly. Getting a good coach is a very hard thing to do ... they just don't fall off trees. Firing the present coach because their team didn't advance beyond a quarterfinal game in high school is plain DUMB! My goodness ... do you guys hear what you are saying? Whitehaven's football program has NEVER been in better hands ... yet the LUST FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP drives people beyond reason. Whitehaven would therefore bite off their nose to despite their face with this type of ludicrous thinking.

Ingram was qualified or he would have never got the job in the first place. Don't believe everything you hear. I was at the Melrose/Maryville championship game when Melrose lost 6-7. I witnessed the man break down in tears when they put the microphone in his face and asked him to say a few words. I remember also the Melrose fans ... jeering him ... calling him names ... ridiculing him ... after he and his team laid it all on the line. They were VICSIOUS ... and that's being mild. The next thing I hear ... he's gone to TSU. I didn't blame him one bit.

It's just more of the same with this lust filled society to get instant gratification and demand greatness without any patience whatsoever. It shouldn't surprise me ... but it does.

If the current coaching staff were struggling with 6-4 seasons or 5-5 ... I could see being upset and wanting a new coach. But to have had the consistent success and the advancement on the prior season ... It's just downright silly.

Good coaches are not easily found and what coach Saulsberry is doing over at WH is not an easy task. It is very difficult and he is doing an outstanding job. A bird in the hand is better then two in the bush ... any day of the week.

One more thing you should know. The administration at WH keeps everything they possibly can ... in house. What do I mean when I say that? The next HC at Whitehaven is going to be a Whitehaven alum. Like it or lump it ... that's how it is. As a matter of fact ... the majority of the coaching staff is comprised of Whitehaven alums. It's not going to change anytime soon and I wouldn't have it any other way.

LOL @ firing coach Saulsberry. That is the funniest thing I have heard on here in a LONG TIME! You guys are simply OUT OF YOUR COTTON PICKING MINDS! .... :thumb::thumb::roflolk:

RESPECT DA HAVEN!

KWC,

That was a thoughtful, intelligent, and passionate response. And I agree with it, provided Whitehaven plays as if they were well-prepared tonight and if the coaching staff manages the game and situations that will arise in a manner that puts the team in the best situations. This is not and should not be a simple "win you stay, lose and you're out situation for Saulsberry". I never said that! For me, it is all about preparedness, managing the game, and putting the kids in the best situations to be successful. All I am saying and have said it this...if Whitehaven is ill-prepared, and the coaches make too many poor decisions, which collectively results in a non-competive loss for Whitehaven, I would replace this coach. And with that said, keep in mind that in some cases, the score and stats alone do not fully indicate whether or not a game was competitive.

I have to go now, so I'll try to check back in to finish my thoughts.