Private Schools should be in a seperate division!!

flyingblind

Private schools should have to play 6A if they do not offer scholarships. With the exception to the rule being Alcoa, all other public schools have to rebuild from time to time. How many of these private schools have to? None, just keep recruiting. I will use CAK as an example. CAK's offense would not work every year at a 3A public school because there would not be a quarterback and enough receivers every year. To me this seems to put public schools at a disadvantage. I am notpicking at CAK, that is just a team I see every year. I would like to hear arguments from both sides and get some different opinions.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private schools should have to play 6A if they do not offer scholarships. With the exception to the rule being Alcoa, all other public schools have to rebuild from time to time. How many of these private schools have to? None, just keep recruiting. I will use CAK as an example. CAK's offense would not work every year at a 3A public school because there would not be a quarterback and enough receivers every year. To me this seems to put public schools at a disadvantage. I am notpicking at CAK, that is just a team I see every year. I would like to hear arguments from both sides and get some different opinions.

First of all, your post really should be in the Public vs. Private forum I suspect. Secondly, you obviously know nothing about CAK's players. I am mystified why CAK has so few transfers, great academics, great environment, great location, reasonable tuition, great up and coming football program, etc. I would venture to say CAK gets fewer transfers than most of the metro Knoxville public schools that have a good to very good football program, and frankly I'm not sure why. I could go on about that, and toss out some possibilities, but that is not really the topic you have posed.

From this year's team, I can think of one defensive player that moved to CAK as a sophomore when he was adopted. I may be missing someone, but I can't think of anyone else who played that wasn't at CAK starting with their freshman year. I can think of one transfer from Farragut that moved in during the year this year and will be eligible next year. The fact is that with only a very few exceptions, the kids playing for CAK have gone to school there for years. It's almost flattering to me in a way that you would think our players are "ringers" but it simply isn't the case. Let's take the last 3 QB's that are / were indeed very good. All of them were long time CAK students. Have you heard much about CAK's middle school teams? With the exception of this past season that was rough, CAK has had outstanding middle school football with IMO one of the top MS coaches in the Southeast, Ron Treadway. That middle school program runs a MS version of the high school offense. So, these kids are getting experience at the MS level that without question helps as they continue through the HS program. As far as the receivers that you mention, I can't think of any that transferred in, someone correct me if I'm missing someone. So, your comment about QB's and receivers doesn't hold water. I will also tell you that there is a young QB in the program that is a long time CAK student that will be outstanding in a year or two when he gets his chance.

You see these types of posts from time to time, but generally not about CAK. Why? Because anyone who knows the make up of the team knows that while it may apply to some school, it just doesn't apply to CAK. CAK's private school advantage comes IMO from 1. an outstanding MS program. 2. Outstanding Coaching. 3. Excellent parental support. Their ability to run a pretty difficult passing offense effectively comes IMO from 1. Kids who have been in the system for years. 2. Again, coaching. 3. An inordinate emphasis and amout of time spent in very detailed work with the QB's and WR's. Now, that's the private school advantage, what about the disadvantage? Nothing is ever all upside. Disadvantage 1. Multiplier forces CAK to play larger schools with a lot larger talent pool to pull from. 2. Not one kid comes to CAK because they are zoned there. Every family has to choose to come to CAK, it's not automatic. Once they decide to attend a private school, they have to choose CAK over Webb and Catholic within a mile of our school. 3. Tuition keeps many kids from attending and playing sports because their family simply can't afford it. Remember, you can get tuition assistance to come to CAK, but if you do, you can't play ANY sport. 4. Academics. CAK is not an easy school academically, and there are kids who might be great athletes but may not be able or want to put in the work to be successful in the classroom.

If your point is that schools that have an unfair advantage because they have numerous kids that tranfer in primarily to play football should have to play in the private division, then I would submit that there are possibly some schools, private and public that this could apply to, but not CAK. Maybe one day more families will see the opportunity from an athletics standpoint as well as all of the other things that make CAK special, but we haven't gotten there yet.

The private schools are dominating the 3A and 4A playoffs. You might just see all private school finals in both classes in Cookeville in 2 weeks. It is unfair the way these privates schools are whipping the public schools in the playoffs.

Oops! Nevermind. Lipscomb and Goodpasture were eliminated last week. (And Catholic was eliminated in 5A). Well, they are dominating 1A and 2A. There is 1 private school (of 8 total) left in 1A and 2 schools left in 2A. Trousdale has a good chance to eliminate one of them tonight.

I just don't see the domination in D1 that this post seems to suggest.

Funny, just ran across this on another board - Interesting !

Madison Academic Magnet - While losing a player like Faulkner (not to mention two other starters) would be hard on anyone, Coach Patterson's record speaks for itself. He will find a way to compete (and win) with everyone on his schedule. Some key transfers and a reasonably deep bench should aid Madison in their transition to the post-Faulkner years.

I will agree with you blind man they need 2 divisions. #1. For all the schools who want to play football and schedule stiff competition and improve each week or #2. Those who want to whine and cry like little baby's and will never have anything cause they think the system stinks. I think that #2 teams should just quit playing the game, it gets old playing teams that think they are beat before they even get off the bus

Make it simple-classify by real student population, no multiplier. However, if you win three state championships in four years in a sport, you move up a classification for the next four years.

Open zoning exists in many places and if we are going to keep the multiplier those public schools should have to use the muliplier too-they are no different than the private school that does not give tuition assistance.

CAK's QB has been at CAK since K, as have three of the WRs--we have great coaching and very hard working players. period.