Private Schools should be in a seperate division!!

flyingblind

Just ran across this on District 14A Girls Basketball forum....harmless post, but things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Does the game start at 6? I'll see if I son wants to go..I believe he is friends with both Molly and Jenna on myspace..lol..He's driving to Lake Co every day to go to school from Newbern this year..Suppose to play baseball for Lake Co this coming year..So..depends if he comes straight home,wants to go..We may just come to get out of the house.!

Mapquest shows Newbern to Tiptonville (Lake Co.) Total Travel Estimate: 43 minutes / 33.05 miles

:blink:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real debate is with Rural vs. Metro schools, not public vs private. Here's why. The rural areas generally only have one high school, therefore, there is little opportunity for "recruiting" players away from another school. So all they can understand is that "we have to play with whomever is born & lives in our town, while other schools get players from all around, and thats not fair." The Metro public schools are "recruiting" legally & illegally as much or more than any division one private school you can find. The legal recruiting is formulated around the "no child left behind" laws that allow students from those schools to transfer to any other school of their choice so long as it is not another no child left behind school. Believe me when I say, practically every public school football coach who can, takes advantage of this law. Additionally, team rosters of Metro schools are littered with players with bogus "educational custodianships" granted to friends, relatives, and even assistant coaches living in a different school zone other than the one the player should be attending. Yet, that player is not actually living with those custodians. Not to mention the athletic advantages that "open zone" schools have over other public & private schools. The division one private schools are already at an athletic disadvantage because you have to pay tuition to go there, and not many of those street tough or farm feed boys that are the backbone of many successful football teams are economically capable or even interested in attending a private school. In addition, the TSSAA hits the privates that play public with a 1.8 multiplier so they are forced to play up. At any rate, thats just my perspective after having my kids involved in both public and private school athletics.

• 4 weeks later...
I think the real debate is with Rural vs. Metro schools, not public vs private. Here's why. The rural areas generally only have one high school, therefore, there is little opportunity for "recruiting" players away from another school. So all they can understand is that "we have to play with whomever is born & lives in our town, while other schools get players from all around, and thats not fair." The Metro public schools are "recruiting" legally & illegally as much or more than any division one private school you can find. The legal recruiting is formulated around the "no child left behind" laws that allow students from those schools to transfer to any other school of their choice so long as it is not another no child left behind school. Believe me when I say, practically every public school football coach who can, takes advantage of this law. Additionally, team rosters of Metro schools are littered with players with bogus "educational custodianships" granted to friends, relatives, and even assistant coaches living in a different school zone other than the one the player should be attending. Yet, that player is not actually living with those custodians. Not to mention the athletic advantages that "open zone" schools have over other public & private schools. The division one private schools are already at an athletic disadvantage because you have to pay tuition to go there, and not many of those street tough or farm feed boys that are the backbone of many successful football teams are economically capable or even interested in attending a private school. In addition, the TSSAA hits the privates that play public with a 1.8 multiplier so they are forced to play up. At any rate, thats just my perspective after having my kids involved in both public and private school athletics.

Well sounds like the playoff system to me.