Beech vs. Columbia 5A State Championship

tandem

Columbia, according to some on this thread, has a great defense, particularly against the run. But yet in their first three playoff games chs averaged giving up 30 points per game. I'm interested to hear how this happened.

How it happened? One kid from Cleveland killed us. His number was 21, I don't recall the name. He looked around 5'9" or so and was the fastest kid on the field bar none. He was a wide receiver. He will be a corner or safety in DI whenever he graduates.

Against Hillsboro, we gave up a TD we should not have given up. They should have only scored 14.

Against Anderson County, it was a wierd spread offense that never ran the ball. Their QB set a passing record for the season. It worked against Columbias Defense, which is run stop related. Our starting safety was hurt as well, at least that is what I think.

Last week speaks for itself.

This week, if you can pass well, you have a chance. I've seen a few photos. Your RB's should be fast. If we can slow them down, and stop the pass, we stand a good chance of winning.

Columbia can do it all on offense. Run very well and pass with the best of them.

So how is Beech's passing? Is Beech a good passing team?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read alot of talk about Beech's run, the question is can beech stop an offense that has not been stopped all year. The only lose was to an Indy team who's line would make BAMA proud, they had the biggest line I have seen in years at the high school level, but they did not stop Columbia's offense. The way I see it Beech fans is if your run game is as good as you say it is, all Coumbia has to do is stop one third and short play and force a punt get a head buy one touch and lets see you guys do something no other team has been able to do, stop an offense that has weapons everywere. they only team that can stop Columbia is Columbia. Lions play your game, stay focused and please do not read coacht until next Saturday all this stuff we fans say will just get in your heads and coaches it will!

Cookeville beware the LION NATION is coming!!!!!!

Columbia, according to some on this thread, has a great defense, particularly against the run. But yet in their first three playoff games chs averaged giving up 30 points per game. I'm interested to hear how this happened.

Passing yardage... not the run

The points they give up come through the air and on special teams (which looked much improved last week)...not on the ground. CHS's run defence is tough, especially up the middle. If you can get it outside you have a chance. Don't believe me?? Just ask a very good SSteam, who has a run first offense, how good the Central D is. They were shut out in the state semi-finals last week....

I think Beech takes this one. Beech has a great running game and will pound the ball with 3 quality backs. The QB doesn't make mistakes and when they have to go to the air Zinchini is solid. The most impressive thing about the Bucs however is the offensive line and receivers blocking. They are very technically sound and will not awe you in size but they block better than any team I have seen all year. The defense tackles very well with not much yardage after the initial hit. I thought Columbia would be good this year with so many returning seniors and Beech is utilizing a lot of underclassmen. Beech I also think has played tougher competition all year and came out of nowhere to win district 9-AAA. They are on a roll and I really think will beat Columbia. I just hope that most of those linemen are seniors. Good Luck Beech.

when is this game and what time? thanks.

i swear i told u this like 8 times last friday night lol. it's december 4th at 7 pm at cookville

i take it you know who i am? and i'm not sure who you are. enlighten me.

lol i've had this name for ever and u don't remember that's just terrible harris. it's william

i don't think its 30.....but my guess would be b/c they don't play there starters the hole game....unless they have to

Columbia's weakness is not run defense.... it's the secondary. The run defense makes teams one dimensional .... a double edged sword .....teams start to pass ... then eat Columbia up.

Now if Beech can reach the edge and force the corner backs/safeties to support ...it will be interesting.

Columbia is a team that was 3-7 the last two years..... lots of freshmen and sophomores played and they are coming of age. The problem Columbia has is that they don't know how good they are. At times they play to the level of the competition. Don't be fooled by the records of the teams they have played .... when any team gets to this level they are a darn good football team. It's all about match ups and I think Columbia matches up favorably against the run.

Columbia will hit you and play hard ...... they are a big physical team.

I'm at a disadvantage I haven't watched any tape of Beech but I'm sure they have a heck of a running game .... but know that Columbia has been hoping to play a running team to see how they truly stack up against the run ( they are sooo happy to be shut of the spread). Me? I'm looking forward to watching a smash mouth football game. May the best team win (my nickels on Columbia)

Your hope may be your teams downfall in a running team like Beech -Columbia has given up about 4 to 5 games with teams rushing for 200 plus yards and INDY pushed them around.........

pick your your poison in any of the 3 backs that Beech has 1600, 700,500 yards- mark my words for you to win this game a MUST will be to hold BEECH to under 150 yds running and that is from the above mentioned with a 6.3,8.3 and 6.7 rush ave.

thats not true columbia has only given up two games with plus 200