Can the Wing T win a title

diggerdog

I would like to hear from some Gallatin fans/players how they feel about the wing t. They face a few teams every year that run it and seem to struggle defended it. But when they face other offenses they pretty much shut them down. I know GWave has been on here and don't seem to be for it but his team sure had trouble stopping it this year against MJ and HHS. And no i'm not trying to put down GHS because everyone had trouble with stopping MJ's wing t. I'm using GHS because GHS had a solid defense this year except for when facing MJ and HHS wing t.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defending the Wing T requires disciplined players who read there keys. I agree its more about the Jimmys and Joes. If you have the players to run the wing t more power to ya. In gallatins case I think Mt.Juliet was only the real time they couldnt stop the wing t. I think Gallatin has a better time stopping other offenses because thats what they run on offense like the spread that Henry County ran. Gallatin stopped the Station Camp wing t which comes back to the Jimmys and Joes statement.

Hey lost old dad. Saw where you posted that someone had to win it in 6a for you to be a believer.

In georgia, which has better football than in tennessee, there have been several championships at the highest level. Lowndes has won a few and there are a very vanilla wing t team, and Camdem county has won 2 in the last several years and are in the semifinals again this year. I know for a fact that guy runs it exactly the way delaware ran it. He used their terminology just so he could communicate with them. Camden had always won a lot of games before he got there but could never win it till he got there and started running the wing.

I'm not saying everyone should run the wing, I'm just saying it can be a good offense and needs to be respected. different strokes for different folks.

I just have ONE question for the WingT supporters. If it is such a GREAT offense, can you name ONE pro team that is using it? I take it the NFL does have some compitant 'Jimmys and Joes'! dry.gif

Oh, I thought we were talking about 5A/6A H.S. football not the pros. As far as the pros. You probably could throw the wing t out there for a few plays a game and it work like it does for the wildcat formation.

Defending the Wing T requires disciplined players who read there keys. I agree its more about the Jimmys and Joes. If you have the players to run the wing t more power to ya. In gallatins case I think Mt.Juliet was only the real time they couldnt stop the wing t. I think Gallatin has a better time stopping other offenses because thats what they run on offense like the spread that Henry County ran. Gallatin stopped the Station Camp wing t which comes back to the Jimmys and Joes statement.

Thank you, and that was my point made. Like I stated earlier, the wing t can win a title but you must have a complete team (Coaches, offense, defense, and special teams) MJ had the offense but not the defense. Poor Station Camp didn't have an offense or defense.

Hey lost old dad. Saw where you posted that someone had to win it in 6a for you to be a believer.

In georgia, which has better football than in tennessee, there have been several championships at the highest level. Lowndes has won a few and there are a very vanilla wing t team, and Camdem county has won 2 in the last several years and are in the semifinals again this year. I know for a fact that guy runs it exactly the way delaware ran it. He used their terminology just so he could communicate with them. Camden had always won a lot of games before he got there but could never win it till he got there and started running the wing.

I'm not saying everyone should run the wing, I'm just saying it can be a good offense and needs to be respected. different strokes for different folks.

Folks keep saying Georgia is so much better and I am NOT buying that either. Yes some teams are really good, but there has been some REALLY good teams here in Tn at the same time. I would put the 2004 R'dale team against ANY team in Georgia and feel good betting on them. At the same time there were also some great teams in Fla, Texas, Alabama and California that were REAL good that did NOT use the WingT. I would also bet those teams would be glad to play and BEAT those same WingT Ga teams.

As to comparing the Pros and the T$$AA level......ALL football tends to be folks copying folks on offense and defense at various levels and times. Folks admit the WingT they are trying to win with is a copy of the Delaware (COLLEGE) offense. Some folks are winning with the spread and other various college and Pro formations and offenses, so comparisons are natural. This years prime example of teams running various college offenses run from a GREAT copy to WC and their trying the 'Tony Franklin' offense. :roflol:

Folks keep saying Georgia is so much better and I am NOT buying that either. Yes some teams are really good, but there has been some REALLY good teams here in Tn at the same time. I would put the 2004 R'dale team against ANY team in Georgia and feel good betting on them. :

Agreed. I think because Tennessee traditionally hasn't as much D1 talent statewide as some of the other southeastern states, people overlook some of the really great TEAMS from Tennessee.

Bluetubby,

Right on target................absolutely. Now, can the very good TN teams compete in any state..........absolutely!!! and win state championships. :rolleyes: Yes, Yes, Yes,

Here is the difference; where there is (1) great 94 Riverdale team or (1) great Maryville team...........say we have 2-3 teams of that caliber; The Georgia's and Texas's each will 10-15 teams of that type caliber............WHY!!! Both state have a much larger population.............much much larger; thus a much larger talent base AND both those states have area pockets that really put money (the mother's milk of success) into the programs. About the only programs in TN that can match them money-wise are some of the privates like MBA, Ensworth, McCallie...............we really have nothing like a public Hoover (AL) or a Camden Co (GA), Grayson (GA).............money-wise! If we do.............name it!!

Point is..............the chances are slimmer that a TN team will win with the offense is because few teams really run the offense in TN unlike say GA, but I assure you if one of the really potent GA wing teams of the last 4-5 years had been playing in TN..............they could have won the 5-6A level.

Some people just make unusual statements, and then cannot bring themselves to admit at least the possibilty.................!

Then there is a couple of folks that dislike their coach so much.............they will find fault in spite of whatever he might do..............and would never admit even the slimmest possibilty.

For the record................a right fair old NFL coach named .............hmm lets see Vince Lombardi!! made quite a name for himself running a thing called the Green Bay Sweep (*note...about as wing-t as you can get)

What about Florida..............they run the Single-Wing!!

What about all that so-called "Wildcat" crap that colleges and pros are running............JET SWEEP!! (many HS have been running it for years) from the wing-t. Want to know how that got started?? A prominent HS coach followed his high-profile QB to Arkansas and brought the play with him.............and many have copied it!!

A very average team in TN added the wing stuff to there Power smoke stack I attack and made the finals............they had better players last year. Heard of Beech?? I think that the added wing stuff gave them a boost.....

I just have ONE question for the WingT supporters. If it is such a GREAT offense, can you name ONE pro team that is using it? I take it the NFL does have some compitant 'Jimmys and Joes'! dry.gif

This argument doesn't hold water because the NFL has a ton of market research that proves that throwing the ball around = more money. Ticket sales, TV, etc. With all the rules changes to encourage dink and dunk passing offenses, it's a wonder anyone bothers to do anything besides throw quick stuff 70 times a game. With the rules and marketing pressures there it's really a whole other world of football from HS or the pros.

The Wing-T has been ran in the NFL before, however. Some very good teams ran it in the 50s and 60s. Marv Levy was the last NFL coach to run it, back in the 70s on a PITIFUL Kansas City team. They were one of the league's best rushing offenses and it kept them in some games they shouldn't have been in, but the defense stank so the team lost games. He got fired after 2 years because they weren't selling enough tickets, even though the team was improving.

Even then, the Wing-T didn't entirely disappear from the NFL. Bill Walsh's run game in his original West Coast Offense back during the 49ers glory years was VERY heaviliy based on the Wing-T. The Pittsburgh Steelers ran some Wing-T stuff in the early Bill Cowher years when they were always near the top of the league in rushing.

Again, the NFL, college, and HS football are worlds apart because of subtle rules changes. When the wishbone was dominating elite college and HS football in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s it was NEVER ran in the NFL. Nowadays you've got great spread option offenses at BCS schools, but you don't see them in the NFL either.

If you look at college football, there's actually a lot of Wing-T stuff being run out there in spread offenses. It's just that people don't recognize it because the formations are different. The offenses at Florida and Georgia Tech have a lot of Wing-T in them. People call Florida a single wing team, but they're really more of a shotgun Wing-T (a real single wing team would have the C snapping direct to all the backs). Georgia Tech is a flexbone triple option, but their complimentary running plays are Wing-T. Same goes for a lot of other spread option teams out there.

Outside of TN, there are TONS of elite HS teams at all levels who are winning championships with the thing, though they might not always look like "Wing-T" to the folks in the stands. In fact, the Wing-T has evolved a lot over the past 20 years from the old sweep/trap/waggle offense of the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

If you ask any GOOD Wing-T coach, he'll tell you that Wing-T is really more of an approach to blocking and playcalling than specific formations and plays. You have certain blocking rules, certain types of blocking, and the plays are all organized into groups so that a coach knows "We want to run play A. If it works, we run it 'til the defense has to change what If play A doesn't work, we try play B. If play B doesn't work either, then play C has to be wide open!" That opens things up a lot to coaches with some imagination.

So yeah... it's a good offense that can win a title. It is winning titles at the highest levels in other states. I don't know why we've not had a good enough Wing-T team to go all the way in TN, but that's not the offense's fault.