Bands playing during game action..

EarlVolFan

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this year at home games that a few of Maryville's opponent's bands have been playing during the time we were running plays on offense -

Oak Ridge's band played through the entire first through third quarters, finally stopping when Maryville had the game in hand..

I didn't notice this again until we played Dobyns-Bennett in the first round of the playoffs. Their band played very loudly ONLY we we had the ball. In fact, they didn't even play during halftime. Their only apparent reason for being there, was to try to disrupt our offense. That didn't exactly workout for them!

Then the same thing occured during the Riverdale game last Friday - any time our offense was near the band's side of the field, their band played as loudly as they could while we were running plays. It wasn't a very effective strategy for them either...

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think this is very poor sportmanship...you don't see bands doing this at the college and pro levels. I hate trying to pass rules to solve every problem, but maybe it's time the TSSAA regulates this before it gets out of hand....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this year at home games that a few of Maryville's opponent's bands have been playing during the time we were running plays on offense -

Oak Ridge's band played through the entire first through third quarters, finally stopping when Maryville had the game in hand..

I didn't notice this again until we played Dobyns-Bennett in the first round of the playoffs. Their band played very loudly ONLY we we had the ball. In fact, they didn't even play during halftime. Their only apparent reason for being there, was to try to disrupt our offense. That didn't exactly workout for them!

Then the same thing occured during the Riverdale game last Friday - any time our offense was near the band's side of the field, their band played as loudly as they could while we were running plays. It wasn't a very effective strategy for them either...

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think this is very poor sportmanship...you don't see bands doing this at the college and pro levels. I hate trying to pass rules to solve every problem, but maybe it's time the TSSAA regulates this before it gets out of hand....

honestly, it's just you. you're in the state championship. if a tuba player had 3 sacks on your qb i could see it being an issue, otherwise just let it go man. :roflol:

honestly, it's just you. you're in the state championship. if a tuba player had 3 sacks on your qb i could see it being an issue, otherwise just let it go man. :roflol:

I hope it's not just me - for the sake of our young men that we are trying to teach life lessons through athletics. Yes, we've been fortunate to win a lot of games at Maryville and yes, we're gong to be playing for our first 6A championship Saturday...

but IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING - IT'S HOW YOU WIN (or lose, for that matter)

Let's stop the Cheerleaders form leading cheers when the teams are in the huddle also, and cheering right in front of me, when i get stuck sitting on the bottom row. lol. :roflol:

I think the Tennessee H/S football atmosphere has advanced leap years recently. Its about excitement. Players, coaches, & fans. HS and college have bands. Ours is great at pumping music to the boys. I love to see different teams pre-game warm up routines, game time antics, and half time performances. Adds to the experience. Ramp it up. Dream it up. Crank it up. This old man need the adrenalin ;)

Now the part about the tuba player is one of the funnest posts I have EVER seen ;);)

I thought it was already a rule

I could agree with the reason of wanting someone to stop the bands from playing during plays and such. I mean it does have some affect on the linemen hearing the snap count and such and it really showed this year when Alcoa played Howard. Howard having a band that was Always Rockin and Well I think Alcoa’s band is the only band in the state that plays while its own team is trying to run a play, but during the Howard game I really couldn’t hear the QB, I had to watch the ball and that’s kinda sad when you’re the guy on Offense dont ya think? So I could agree with a rule of not letting them play during a play, but it has been done for years and I doubt it would have been as much of a problem if our own band wouldn’t have been helping them drown out the snap count... Maybe our band should just quit playing while where on offense??? ;)

I could agree with the reason of wanting someone to stop the bands from playing during plays and such. I mean it does have some affect on the linemen hearing the snap count and such and it really showed this year when Alcoa played Howard. Howard having a band that was Always Rockin and Well I think Alcoa’s band is the only band in the state that plays while its own team is trying to run a play, but during the Howard game I really couldn’t hear the QB, I had to watch the ball and that’s kinda sad when you’re the guy on Offense dont ya think? So I could agree with a rule of not letting them play during a play, but it has been done for years and I doubt it would have been as much of a problem if our own band wouldn’t have been helping them drown out the snap count... Maybe our band should just quit playing while where on offense??? :lol:

No, our band at SC does it way too much also. In the Pearl Cohn game they played every time we got the ball, and for some reason our band tried to drown them out, there were at least 3 or 4 false starts in the second half. ;)