razer

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baylor Wrestlers Win Catholic Invitational Tournament

by John Shearer

posted December 5, 2009

Baylor School, which won 12 of the 14 championship finals, won the Catholic Invitational wrestling tournament Saturday in Knoxville with 379 points.

The next closest team was Lassiter of Marietta, Ga., at 205.5.

The Red Raiders received pins in the finals from John Eady at 112 pounds, Zach Watson at 119, Matthew Cate at 152, Adam Shuford at 160, Mac Ferguson at 189 and John Mackey at 215.

Winning with major decisions for Baylor were Bennet Reece at 125, Alex Manley at 130, Stuart Doster at 140, while Cole Hayes (135), Trey Stavrum (145), and Barret Gouger (285) also won.

Nick Standefer finished second at 103 after being pinned by Paul Pelletier of Lassiter, and Spencer Craig finished in third at 171 with a pin.

Hayes was named Best Wrestler, and Craig had the most pins in the shortest amount of time.

Baylor coach Jim Morgan was obviously happy with the outcome.

"I couldn't be any more pleased," he said. "I thought we gave it an ultimate effort."

Although he said the outcome was a good springboard for the season, he admitted that results mean little right now.

"Everything we are doing is for February," he said.

Behind Baylor and Lassiter were Hendersonville (200.5), Seymour (146.50), Marietta Sprayberry (95), Bearden (94.5), Heritage (90.5), Pope John Paul II of Nashville (88), Notre Dame (75), Halls (64.5), Catholic (52), Kingston (44), Webb (33), William Blount (28), Morristown East (16) and Christian Academy of Knoxville (15).

Notre Dame had two wrestlers reach the finals before finishing second -- Chase White at 125 and Jack Boone at 130.

Also, Grayson Mullin finished third at 119 with a pin for the Fighting Irish.

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_164439.asp

I always wonder with 4 mats why 15 teams warm up on 3 of them while TBSFBAG warms up by themselves on the other. Well the reason is that they own the tournament and can do pretty much whatever they want to do. They even had Seymour fans pulling for them.

The field had their pants pulled down, then bent over and had their behinds smacked with a 2x4 with nails in it.

There were some bright spots during the weekend, Mac had some great Margarittas fri nite that some of the daddies got to use to their advantage and I got to listen to my favorite parent cheer leader. If you ever get a chance go stand by Forrest Cate, he is classic, in a great way.

That's all I got from KTOWN

bcb iii :popcorneater:

HERE IS ALL THAT THE KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL HAD:

Penalty costs Shurina in finals

By John Shearer

Sunday, December 6, 2009

The victories were hard to come by for Knoxville area high school wrestlers Saturday during the championship finals of the Catholic Invitational.

However, two managed to receive at least a little applause.

Catholic senior Greg Shurina enjoyed a spirited third-period comeback against Chattanooga Baylor sophomore Barret Gouger at 285 pounds before Gouger - and carelessness - overtook him 5-4.

He said Gouger was trying to get a one-point escape, which likely would have sent the match into overtime, when Shurina accidentally touched his hands and was penalized two points for locking hands.

"It was bad luck on my part," said an exhausted Shurina. "I felt like I should have won it."

Shurina still received some consolation, as his final was voted Best Match.

Baylor, which won 12 of the 14 finals, won the team title with 379 points, while Lassiter of Marietta, Ga. - which won the other two finals - finished second with 205.5.

They were followed by Hendersonville (200.5), Seymour (146.50), Marietta Sprayberry (95), Bearden (94.5), Heritage (90.5), Pope John Paul II of Nashville (88), Chattanooga Notre Dame (75), Halls (64.5), Catholic (52), Kingston (44), Webb (33), William Blount (28), Morristown East (16) and Christian Academy of Knoxville (15).

While Shurina had a heartbreaker, Heritage's Nathaniel Molina had a heart-builder at 145.

He found himself behind 5-0 against Baylor's Trey Stavrum after the first period, but decided he was not going to give up and actually came close to pinning Stavrum before losing 14-8.

"I said I am not going to let that guy pin me like Baylor has all the other wrestlers," said Molina, a junior, who added he is trying to carry an extra load for Heritage after top teammate Devan Teaster was lost for the season with an injury last week.

Only two other area wrestlers reached the finals. Junior Luke Hall of Seymour was pinned by two-time state champion Zach Watson of Baylor in the first round at 119, while Peyton Landers of Bearden also suffered a first-round pin against Baylor's Mac Ferguson at 189.

Hall, who finished in sixth place in the state his freshman year, said that was the first time he had been pinned since the sixth grade.

However, he still remains upbeat about the season.

"I'm excited about this year and hopefully will get up there in the state and place somewhere this year," he said.

John Shearer is a freelance contributor.

© 2009 Scripps Newspaper Group — Online