sissygirl

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in an attempt to get this thread back on topic:

new coach, meet new stadium

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?ID=72925

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/the_plans_for_science_hills_new_stadium_move_forward/37493/ - video report

*edited to add additional news report

I like it. Smart of them to add the dirt track around the field. They can have high school football on Friday nights and dirt racing on Saturday nights. Theres alot of dirt racing fans in the area. Should bring in alot of money for the school. :)

The banquet is not until middle of January. I agree with you...bad timing. Think about it guys...what are the consequenses of announcing it now versus then? You are probably right...he should announce it now. Not only South's banquet...but how about East's, Central's and Science Hill's. What are the thoughts on the implications's in those houses? Central...?They wanted rid of Scott long ago. Science Hill...?They're shell shocked so nothing will affect them. East...well all you have to do is watch an East film for the past 4 years and what you will see is laziness, lack of dedication, and overall disregard for the game. Sure they had a couple of athletes but by and large they were just a number on the team. Yes, in my view that is a knock on Ralph. X's and O's is one thing but downright military dicipline is another. Stacy will drive that boat and Ralph will create Mr. Atlas linemen. East had potential but only to a pile driver. Ralph has skill and expertice but attracting, motivating, cultivating, and replicating the system was not his vision. Stacy will fully well scrape it down and pour a new pad. Meanwhile, in my view South will be left with a packed house...for the right man. All in all...I view it as a win/win situation. We give Science Hill the best we got but they will forever be branded with a Rebel Flag on their shoulder just small enough to remind them of where they came from. And given South gets the right man, will be a jewel in the rough with the correct dedication. Talk about drama! Boy, we sure do know how to spread a party around don't we. Meanwhile Scott Smith will go back to Independence and party with Stacy in Cookville next year! Ha!

This is why Stacy will never coach at Science Hill, nor Rebel Ralph, nor Rebel Scott. The African American players have indicated they will NOT play for these Rebels.

The banquet is not until middle of January. I agree with you...bad timing. Think about it guys...what are the consequenses of announcing it now versus then? You are probably right...he should announce it now. Not only South's banquet...but how about East's, Central's and Science Hill's. What are the thoughts on the implications's in those houses? Central...?They wanted rid of Scott long ago. Science Hill...?They're shell shocked so nothing will affect them. East...well all you have to do is watch an East film for the past 4 years and what you will see is laziness, lack of dedication, and overall disregard for the game. Sure they had a couple of athletes but by and large they were just a number on the team. Yes, in my view that is a knock on Ralph. X's and O's is one thing but downright military dicipline is another. Stacy will drive that boat and Ralph will create Mr. Atlas linemen. East had potential but only to a pile driver. Ralph has skill and expertice but attracting, motivating, cultivating, and replicating the system was not his vision. Stacy will fully well scrape it down and pour a new pad. Meanwhile, in my view South will be left with a packed house...for the right man. All in all...I view it as a win/win situation. We give Science Hill the best we got but they will forever be branded with a Rebel Flag on their shoulder just small enough to remind them of where they came from. And given South gets the right man, will be a jewel in the rough with the correct dedication. Talk about drama! Boy, we sure do know how to spread a party around don't we. Meanwhile Scott Smith will go back to Independence and party with Stacy in Cookville next year! Ha!

This is why Stacy will never coach at Science Hill, nor Rebel Ralph, nor Rebel Scott. The African American players have indicated they will NOT play for these Rebels.

They didn't play for Smith either!

Your chops have been busted! :)

I dont know what you meant about that last statement. May not agree with the way smith calls plays but he has never been anything less than far with all his kids. race has no place in sports and it was not an issue at science hill the last 3 years...all the names mentioned on this thread would do a great job, all are fine men

P.O. can't be a serious contender for the head coaching position, come on now. The article in JC Press was nice, that was all it was! He needs to go outside the JC school system to be a head coach. Don't think that will ever happen. It's hard when you've been in one system/school your whole career.

Promoting from within not always the right decision

By Douglas Fritz

Press Sports Writer

dfritz@johnsoncitypress.com

Printer-friendly version

Email Article

Paul Overbay has been getting support in the community to become the next head football coach at Science Hill.

But despite saying Overbay is a strong candidate who will be given serious consideration, Hilltoppers’ athletic director Keith Turner did not label the longtime assistant as a front-runner or even a favorite.

“This is such a critical hire,” said Turner on Friday as Science Hill was closing the application-taking process. “We’ve got to look at all options.”

Turner said it’s not unusual for local people to support promoting an assistant coach.

“It’s just part of it,” said Turner. “But some of them don’t know all of the intricacies involved with making this decision.”

Turner has basically been trying to keep everything on an even keel. If someone was interested in the job but thought an assistant had the inside track, that person might decide not to apply.

And the biggest thing at this stage of the process is having several good candidates, in case some coaches fall out of the running for one reason or another.

Overbay fits the bill of being a good candidate, said Turner.

“Paul is a very strong candidate,” said Turner. “He is somebody who has been in the system for 19 years. He played here, and he played college ball at Emory & Henry and set some records. He will get a solid look.”

But one thing Overbay will have to overcome is the current state of the program. If the team had been winning year in and year out, Overbay would almost certainly be the No. 1 candidate.

However, Science Hill has gone 31-32 in the six seasons with Overbay as defensive coordinator. The ’Toppers made the playoffs three times in those seasons, but lost each postseason game and allowed an average of 38 points.

Last year, the Hilltoppers allowed an average of 23.5 points per game in a 4-6 season. In 2008, the defense surrendered only 14.7 points per game in the regular season. They gave up 18.2 points per game in 2007.

But there is only so much a defensive coordinator can do. If the defense takes the field with the ball deep in its own territory, it’s much more difficult to prevent a score.

And sometimes a gamble offensively can lead to disaster for the defense, not to mention the times the offense can actually give up points itself — which happened quite a few times in the last three seasons for Science Hill.

Overbay’s defense had its share of bailing out the offense after being put in a compromising position.

There seems to be little doubt Overbay is ready to become a head coach. And with his love for the program and knowledge of the game, he could be successful.

But if Science Hill gets a chance to land a proven winner, it wouldn’t make sense to turn down someone like Sullivan South’s Stacy Carter in order to go with Overbay.

Science Hill will take a look at the 25-plus applications it has received, and narrow things down to three, four or five people for interviews. Overbay will almost certainly be on the interview list.

And from there, it’s up to Science Hill’s administration.

Ok....so we had this article why? The more I hear from the SH AD the more I would not want anyone to take the job. I mean heck, an article just came out with comments saying he wasn't going to get the job pretty much. And Fritz is a moron, time and again a band wagon reporter who at the end of the day... blah. This should have not been published, PO probably is pretty ticked right now.

Why won't everyone just yell out loud that Stacy Carter is the head coach, apparently the whole world knows he is the new coach besides himself.