Grundy at Sequatchie Preview

marcus62

Grundy fans have to be anxious for this game; Grundy has not beat Sequatchie County in 4 years! I realize that Sequatchie is in a rebuilding year, but I look for this to be a really good game. If Grundy can keep little Barker under control, I see Grundy's two bigs dominating inside. With Meeks' length on the perimeter, I see her easily keeping Sequatchie's main source of offense way under control. Good luck lady jackets.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grundy won 74-61. The game was a lot better than maybe what some on here were expecting. Sequatchie got out to a 15-2 lead on five three-pointers but by the end of the first Grundy cut it to 19-18. Grundy led 38-33 at the half and 51-41 after three. Sequatchie stayed within range and with three minutes left it was still just a seven-point game, same with 40 seconds left at 68-61. Grundy made their last four free throws and a lay-up to win by 13.

For Sequatchie, Barker wasn't exactly "easily controlled" as she scored 30 points, a career high so far. She faded a little late but still shot well for a guard handling the ball much of the game, 47 percent. She also had 7 rebounds, 6 steals. McAfee had 10 points, 12 rebounds. For Grundy Scissom scored 18 and Wiseman scored 16.

The clear difference was free throw shooting. If Sequatchie makes the percentage they did earlier in the week, on the road at Howard, they're right in the game at the end-but they didn't-and were well under 50 percent. Grundy made 23-40.

Sequatchie next gets another tough game, at Polk County. That tough schedule hopefully will benefit them in the postseason.

First game I have seen this year and these girls baring injuries etc.. should develop into a pretty strong team as the season goes along. They don't have any seniors on the team so that should go well for the next couple of years.

I thought the game was pretty good, Sequatchie needs to work on the free throw shooting and the officiating in the game was in mid-season form as I didn't think either team was going to have any players left with the way the whistles were going off in that first half. :thumb:

First game I have seen this year and these girls baring injuries etc.. should develop into a pretty strong team as the season goes along. They don't have any seniors on the team so that should go well for the next couple of years.

I thought the game was pretty good, Sequatchie needs to work on the free throw shooting and the officiating in the game was in mid-season form as I didn't think either team was going to have any players left with the way the whistles were going off in that first half. :D

There's still improvement to be made across the board, from the leading scorers to the girls who just see time in JV. Even as well as Barker scored, she should have had 40 with missed shots up close late and missed FT. Others didn't play as well as they could have either. Foul shooting was ridiculous and it will be stressed most assuredly. This was a very winnable game. The schedule will be tough from here on out-at Grundy, two vs CCS and their best player should be back for both, vs Whitwell (played Grundy close), vs Bledsoe (beat Whitwell), Dalton GA (four starters back), at Polk next week, among others. Having one of their backup guards back in there hopefully after Christmas break should help the depth.

If #42 for Grundy would have played like she has been it wouldn't have been close. I was looking for the post from GC to dominate. Gc missed alot of their fts as well. At GC I dont see this game being close at all. Good win though for GC to stay undefeated. Seq. is a decent ball team. I still think it will come down to CCS and Gc though.

Maybe she didn't play as well as in previous games because of the player guarding her. Sequatchie doubled Grundy's offensive rebounds which also is telling. She also could have fouled out earlier than she did but the ref got the number wrong so she had one fewer than she should have. They had Wiseman one too many apparently which didn't even have anything to do with that mixup but it was fixed which was fair. They gave Barker one and she was at the three-point line when the foul was under the basket, I'm not sure what was the problem with the refs getting the numbers right, overall I thought they were okay except for that and wouldn't mind seeing that group again. Free throws, there was no comparison, 58 percent to 28 percent.

Why should the game at Grundy be a blowout when this one wasn't?

Maybe she didn't play as well as in previous games because of the player guarding her. Sequatchie doubled Grundy's offensive rebounds which also is telling. She also could have fouled out earlier than she did but the ref got the number wrong so she had one fewer than she should have. They had Wiseman one too many apparently which didn't even have anything to do with that mixup but it was fixed which was fair. They gave Barker one and she was at the three-point line when the foul was under the basket, I'm not sure what was the problem with the refs getting the numbers right, overall I thought they were okay except for that and wouldn't mind seeing that group again. Free throws, there was no comparison, 58 percent to 28 percent.

Why should the game at Grundy be a blowout when this one wasn't?

There are several reasons why I do not see the second game being close: #1 it is at Grundy where past veteran Sequatchie teams have had trouble playing in the past. #2 Barker cannot win the game by herself #3 I thought alot of "luck shots" were made in the first to keep it close #4 And if any team had problems with free throws it was Grundy, so I believe that by saying that the game would have been close if Sequatchie made free throws is false because Grundy did not make them either.

Good game lady jackets and get ready for Christian!

23-40 to 6-21 (not even counting second shots wiped out by front of one and one misses)...are you capable of basic math? Which shots were lucky? The 9 three-pointers made by Sequatchie, or the Grundy 3 that bounced maybe 10 feet in the air off the rim and fell right through? Maybe it was luck Sequatchie had twice as many offensive rebounds. No one player will ever win a game even if one player gets the bulk of the points, there's lot more than scoring, but if you look at it that way her points were enough to make it a game late. I think several of you looked at blowouts Sequatchie took against Walker Valley (twice), Polk and Red Bank and can't stand the same didn't happen Friday. Maybe you're still seeking revenge for that 95-50 game a few years back.

I am not from either school. I have watched Seq. and Grundy play different people besides the game Friday night. Grundy is FAR better than Seq. They won the game regardless of offensive rebounds, etc. you LOST...not matter if by one point, 10, 20...you LOST. There is always a reason why you lost and its hardly ever Seq. girls fault. I will not be able to make the game at Grundy, but I do not see it being close at all. Give credit where credit is due. Grundy does need to work on their defense. As far as the girl guarding #42 stopping her...not at all. #42 stopped #42