Moore Co 2010

bigredbird

The kid will be ineligible now no matter where he lives. He lived in Franklin County while commuting to Moore Co, now he must sit out one year under TSSAA rules because he never lived in Moore County. Strange rule but it is in the handbook.

The Berry kid will be eligible to play because of the family moving to Tullahoma read the Handbook close.Plus it's sad when a kid comes home with tears in his eyes because of the things that parents are saying not the kids but the parents.From my understanding all the kids liked Berry and he loved it in Moore County.

Wish Moore County the Best of Luck this year.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read for several days now that Coach Smith will be excused if he does not have a winning season in Moore County; however, in an earlier post someone stated that he was excused from his last school for that exact reason..........now lets think about this: if he was excused from his last school for not winning, WHY was he hired based on his "proven track record of success". I also read that he was "14-17" his last three years....so again, where is the proven track record? He won a state championship nearly a decade ago; what has he done since then? You have to ask yourself, did HE build that team or stumble upon an opportunity. I also heard that he has been "consistently reaching the playoffs"over his career, but ironically only made it ONCE in the last three years; i must have misunderstood the consistency they are talking about. I think Moore Co may deserve better than that if they really want the "football tradition" back.

I think you are right on track with what much of Raider supporters are thinking. I think that Principal Mooney did this on his own while Director Moorehead stood by let Mooney make this mistake. It has hard for me to understand why Mooney wanted Smith. If you are a really succesfull coach and you have been doing well at bigger schools why step down to little old Lynchburg unless you are desperate which I think Smith was. If Smith wins he will be gone in two years and if does not he will be gone in two years. This job at Moore Co. is just a bridge till he can do better. His track record proves this out.

No coach can promise more than two years. The nature of FB is simple... win or move! Scott won 3 games last season. He did not want to leave but he had little choice. If he doesn't win next year he will receive the wrath of Moore County. You guys have already started even before he takes the reigns. Good luck Coach, you will need it in Lynchburg. The boy who left school to transfer to Tullahoma is ineligible.

I thought he won four games last year. I'm not just saying he will be fired for losing games within three years, I am saying that even if he wins and isn't fired, he will leave for greener pastures. I don't know Smith and only know what I have read about him. I did find his online resume and read it. (You can find it at www.coachbook.ning.com/profile/BScottSmith) I just don't see him staying away from the Nashville schools and/or higher classifications if he proves he can win again at Moore County. I think his track record of moving on after a few years speaks for it's self.

No coach can promise more than two years. The nature of FB is simple... win or move! Scott won 3 games last season. He did not want to leave but he had little choice. If he doesn't win next year he will receive the wrath of Moore County. You guys have already started even before he takes the reigns. Good luck Coach, you will need it in Lynchburg. The boy who left school to transfer to Tullahoma is ineligible.

I thought he won four games last year. I'm not just saying he will be fired for losing games within three years, I am saying that even if he wins and isn't fired, he will leave for greener pastures. I don't know Smith and only know what I have read about him. I did find his online resume and read it. (You can find it at http://www.coachbook.ning.com/profile/BScottSmith) I just don't see him staying away from the Nashville schools and/or higher classifications if he proves he can win again at Moore County. I think his track record of moving on after a few years speaks for it's self.

The man is taking at least a $15K pay cut to take over your program... be very thankful. The last two coaches that had no head coaching experience left because they could not get along with locals and the darn county politics. McDaniel won state at Oakland and Matthews will do a great job at SHS.

I thought he won four games last year. I'm not just saying he will be fired for losing games within three years, I am saying that even if he wins and isn't fired, he will leave for greener pastures. I don't know Smith and only know what I have read about him. I did find his online resume and read it. (You can find it at http://www.coachbook.ning.com/profile/BScottSmith) I just don't see him staying away from the Nashville schools and/or higher classifications if he proves he can win again at Moore County. I think his track record of moving on after a few years speaks for it's self.

The man is taking at least a $15K pay cut to take over your program... be very thankful. The last two coaches that had no head coaching experience left because they could not get along with locals and the darn county politics. McDaniel won state at Oakland and Matthews will do a great job at SHS.

He took a pay cut because no one else would hire him. And thats just the point. He won't be in Lynchburg very long. No one takes a pay cut because they want to. Smith had no choice.

You guys are too much. You lucked out and got the most experienced man searching for work and are upset because you wanted someone with 0 head coaching experience. You may be darned fools. MAC is the only coach to stay in MC for any length of time and he applies for jobs every year. This is the nature of coaching. Smith will win and when he does the phone will ring just like it did for McDaniels. Pray to God you don't run him off.

I don’t understand why Smith taking a $15K cut in pay should make the MC people thankful. Like Blue Boy said, if he could have done better, I’m sure he would have taken another job. Bigredbird, I just noticed that you are from Brentwood. You seem to be a Smith supporter, yet, you started this Moore County thread before Smith’s name was ever mentioned. You also seem to know a lot about him; maybe you knew he was going to get the MC job from the very beginning. I just wish you could have gotten him back at Independence and then maybe he wouldn’t have to work for MC peanuts; you would be happy and so would the MC people that wanted a coach that might be there for a while.

I don’t understand why Smith taking a $15K cut in pay should make the MC people thankful. Like Blue Boy said, if he could have done better, I’m sure he would have taken another job. Bigredbird, I just noticed that you are from Brentwood. You seem to be a Smith supporter, yet, you started this Moore County thread before Smith’s name was ever mentioned. You also seem to know a lot about him; maybe you knew he was going to get the MC job from the very beginning. I just wish you could have gotten him back at Independence and then maybe he wouldn’t have to work for MC peanuts; you would be happy and so would the MC people that wanted a coach that might be there for a while.

I have family who live and work in the MC school system. I thought ELA or Britton would get the job but I am happy to see Scott get the job. Any one of these men could have done the job. Give the man a chance and try to get those boys who left back on the team. If the Raiders win 7 games next fall everyone will forget McCurry and Smith will be your hero. If he doesn't make it to the playoffs you'll say: "I told you!" :blush:

You guys are too much. You lucked out and got the most experienced man searching for work and are upset because you wanted someone with 0 head coaching experience. You may be darned fools. MAC is the only coach to stay in MC for any length of time and he applies for jobs every year. This is the nature of coaching. Smith will win and when he does the phone will ring just like it did for McDaniels. Pray to God you don't run him off.

0 Head Coaching experience is not a bad thing. I bet that even The Great Smith had no Head coaching experience at one time and even Mac's first head coaching job was at MC. Mcdaniel's first job was at MC. All coaches have to have that first job. Why not take a chance on a local coach that really wants to be at MC. Bigredbird, you know win or lose Smith won't be at MC long. You know that he really wants to be in Nashville. Also experience does not make you qualified or the right pick for ever job that comes open. Several schools passed over Smith just in the last few weeks and hired less experienced coaches.

Praise the Lord. I wish I would have been at school on Friday when he came into town on his white horse. That must have been a beautiful sight to behold. Don’t act like Smith is doing all of us Moore Countians a favor.

As for Mac, compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Look at their winning percentage and playoff experience. I am not for sure if you could put Mac and Smith in the same category. Mac may apply for jobs but if you look at his track record he is not one that stays a few years and leaves. He did a great job at Moore County, Marshall County and seems to be doing a pretty good job in Ripley, MS. If I am not mistaken, I believe he was a first year head coach at Moore County when he got the job.

The nature of coaching, there seems to be a lot of coaches around the state that stay at their school year in and year out. I mean coaches who have been there for 5, 10, 15 years and who have been offered other jobs. I know there will be problems in marriages. I can assure you I don’t believe coaches have any more stress on their marriage than that of a doctor, lawyer, factory worker, or teacher.

You stated the following in one of your earlier post:

It's hard to find coaches who haven't had marital problems these days since they are expected to work 7 days a week in FB season. You get out what you put into it. I know of many coaches who have coached for years and have remained married to their spouse. If winning football, basketball, golf, softball, tennis or any other game is more important than your marriage/family than it seems your priorities may be out of order. You could win state championships and district titles but if you fail at your marriage and your family, do you really consider yourself a winner.

As for his resume: Have you actually read the resume? Not really impressed. Is Smith really the best the principal could find? 14-17 not that great. It is stated in the paper he has a proven track record but I seem to not be able to find it.

Bigredbird, as far as wanting guys with no head coaching experience, we just want the best for the program.

Congradulations to Coach Scott Smith. I am one of your previous colleagues. We taught at Independence, I was asst. FB coach at Page, and track coach at Franklin High. If you read this, Coach Smith, please call me at 931-626-2866, I would like to discuss the coaching situation at Moore County with you. BEST OF LUCK. - COACH BW

I have family who live and work in the MC school system. I thought ELA or Britton would get the job but I am happy to see Scott get the job. Any one of these men could have done the job. Give the man a chance and try to get those boys who left back on the team. If the Raiders win 7 games next fall everyone will forget McCurry and Smith will be your hero. If he doesn't make it to the playoffs you'll say: "I told you!" :thumb:

Not unless he stays 12 years, dominates a decade, and wins numerous region championships.

O yeah, dont forget people- 2001, Moore County 21- Ezell Harding 55. Lots of late scoring.