Maryville Alcoa Daily times is the Worst

LordInfamous

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gov man, I might have missed the boat on some Willy B scandals, but I know that WB has had some good athletes and teams from time to time who you could not find a write up on in the Daily Times. Local papers should be about local events and people and this especially means high school sports in a place like Blount County. The 4 schools there have been sending kids to colleges all over the country in lots of different sports, i.e. track and field, softball, baseball, and so on, but from the looks of the sports section you would think that it was a small NASCAR magazine with wildlife feature in it.

Gov man, I might have missed the boat on some Willy B scandals, but I know that WB has had some good athletes and teams from time to time who you could not find a write up on in the Daily Times. Local papers should be about local events and people and this especially means high school sports in a place like Blount County. The 4 schools there have been sending kids to colleges all over the country in lots of different sports, i.e. track and field, softball, baseball, and so on, but from the looks of the sports section you would think that it was a small NASCAR magazine with wildlife feature in it.

Lord ... pretty much sums it for me. Good post.

The Blount Today with Stefan Cooper rocks! :roflol:

If the Blount Today would turn Stefan lose with MORE local sports.........it would be great. It already makes the Daily "fishwrap" local sports coverage look BAD.

This is a great example:

http://www.blounttoday.com/news/2009/dec/09/during-football-season-alcoa-exxon-becomes/

Stefan understands the special place that H.S. sports has in our lives - it's a big part of what makes him the best sportswriter in E.T..

OK it is evidently time again for LOD's guide to getting papers in line and flying straight.

First and foremost and last the only thing newspapers listen to is MONEY. Today that comes from one place and that is advertising. Now to influence the paper you have to start influencing the ADVERTISERS! Buy a paper and actually look who is doing the most advertising. Next go to that buisness and let them know you and LOTS of your friends would be much more likely to do buisness with them 'IF' they would try and 'ask' the paper to cover more local HS sports.

Alright now to hit their second highest form of revenue and that is subscriptions. If you have one call and ask to speak to the EDITOR. Inform him how you would love to actually see some articles on local HS sports and that barring that you are sorry but you will have to cancel your subscription because you will be spending your available funds to actually go see the games as the paper don't have time to cover them.

It will take awhile but it will work eventually. Simple matter of using both the carrot and the stick. If they will not follow the gentle guidence of the carrot, then beat the heck out of them with the stick! This has worked with the daily newless Journal here in Murfreesboro.

If nothing else start a DAILY calling program to inquire if the paper knows they have some HS sports teams and if they know the way to the schools!

Yes I do know LOTS of ways to make a PITA of myself. :roflol:

The Blount Today with Stefan Cooper rocks! :D

If the Blount Today would turn Stefan lose with MORE local sports.........it would be great. It already makes the Daily "fishwrap" local sports coverage look BAD.

This is a great example:

http://www.blounttoday.com/news/2009/dec/09/during-football-season-alcoa-exxon-becomes/

Stefan understands the special place that H.S. sports has in our lives - it's a big part of what makes him the best sportswriter in E.T..

I have been out of Blount County for a while and wondered what happened to Mr. Cooper. Now, he did care about sports. How can you forget him on that bike, I remember seeing him riding up Alcoa Highway in a light rain headed to Knox West for the District BBAll Tourney we offered him a ride but he just waved his somewhat still light cigarete and kept rolling. I would him from time to time at softball games and even swim events. I hope they let him write more than the DT did, they had to many writers, and I cannot read anything Sam Al Bundy writes, he is always a grumpy gus.