New Franklin Co HS FB Coach

RebelHeart

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great hire

For those of us who do not know him, where is he from and where has he been coaching?

Third has the booster club bought him a knife proof vest yet with excellent BACK protection? dry.gif

Anyone ready to start the pool on when he is run off? Or better yet when the first promise to him is broken?

Forgot to add, Congratulations Coach and GOOD LUCK and I mean it! :popcorneater:

No head coaching experience. I like Coach Carr but remember he was the kicking coach last season. Three blocked punts, two missed PAT's. Special teams cost the Rebels three ball games. Steve Britton was a great assistant coach that had no head coaching experience and even though he had a couple of state championship rings he could not manage to win more than five games in two years. Atkins had two or three district championships and was coach of the year in two states and could not win more than 9 games in 2 years. Mantooth is the one who should have been brought back to coach football. He is the best coach in school history, even better than the great Red Roberts imho.

I have spoken to a lot of locals who are upset that the director of school would not bend to get Mac McCurry. He came down on his financial demands and the booster blub was willing to help out but the director killed the deal because she would not bring back 4th block athletics for football. There are a lot of very upset Rebel fans in FC today.

I hope Coach Carr does well for my Rebels but there will be many challenges ahead. I wonder if Coach Atkins gets the job in Moore County if any players drift to lynchburg. Every few years Moore county steals a few of FC's better players.

Pepsi you will not get 4th block athletics back in FC. The DIRECTOR OF SCHOOLS put an end to it and she has stated she will not address the issue again. This is why 4 or 5 men turned down the position before they offered it to Coach Carr. They could have hired Mac McCurry. The sticking points as I understand them came down to about $10,000 which he was willing to lower, 4th block athletics, and he wanted to work in the cafeteria in 3rd block and teach two weight training classes (one being 4th block football). The previous coaches had contracts that would have provided $5,000 additional funds and all the boosters had to do was match that amount out of the tens of thousands they raise each year. There was only one or two on the booster club that objected to paying the money to get Mac. Oddly enough they both wanted Carr because he was willing to take a pay cut if that was what it took to get the job. I have been told that the things Mac asked for were not out of the norm. I think the money could have been worked out in other ways. The local car dealerships (all owned by the same man) were willing to provide extra money to the coach to promote their products. I think the sticking points were with the number of classes Mac would have had to have taught and the 4th block football class. If they would not agree to it to bring in the right coach then why would you think they will consider it for coach Carr?

I have said it before I have nothing against coach Carr. He is a good man as far as I can tell but he does not have any experience as a head football coach. I just don't see this team improving next year and it will be a rebuilding season at best without Terrance Martin, Childress, and Jonah Sells. There is no offensive line to speak of and not much in the way of defensive backs or linebackers. A few good young 10th grade athletes but at least one is headed to Huntland because his mom has said she will not allow him to play for Carr and Reed and another to Tullahoma at the end of this school year because the family is moving to CC. There are reports that Moore County officials are talking to Atkins and that at least one possibly two players may be headed in that direction if Atkins gets the job in Lynchburg.

This is going to take three to five years to just get back to the place it was this season and I don't see much progress for at least two seasons. I'm notbeing negative just realistic. I will be the first to stand up and give Coach Carr and Reed credit when they turn this ship around and win a region championship but that has not happened in 14 or 15 years. I think you have to go back to Red Roberts team in the 90's to find a great season with the exception of one winning year with Mantooth.

I think most coaches in this county teach a full load of classes. I know all the coaches at Huntland and the middle school have 1 period off for planning. Why would a person not want to teach class if he is hired to be an educator. If Mac did not want to teach he should have worked for the coaching supplement which is not much or he could volunteer and not teach. FCHS is much better off with hire that they made. Congrats Coach Carr.