New Franklin Co HS FB Coach

RebelHeart

Pepsi you will not get 4th block athletics back in FC. The DIRECTOR OF SCHOOLS put an end to it and she has stated she will not address the issue again. This is why 4 or 5 men turned down the position before they offered it to Coach Carr. They could have hired Mac McCurry. The sticking points as I understand them came down to about $10,000 which he was willing to lower, 4th block athletics, and he wanted to work in the cafeteria in 3rd block and teach two weight training classes (one being 4th block football). The previous coaches had contracts that would have provided $5,000 additional funds and all the boosters had to do was match that amount out of the tens of thousands they raise each year. There was only one or two on the booster club that objected to paying the money to get Mac. Oddly enough they both wanted Carr because he was willing to take a pay cut if that was what it took to get the job. I have been told that the things Mac asked for were not out of the norm. I think the money could have been worked out in other ways. The local car dealerships (all owned by the same man) were willing to provide extra money to the coach to promote their products. I think the sticking points were with the number of classes Mac would have had to have taught and the 4th block football class. If they would not agree to it to bring in the right coach then why would you think they will consider it for coach Carr?

I have said it before I have nothing against coach Carr. He is a good man as far as I can tell but he does not have any experience as a head football coach. I just don't see this team improving next year and it will be a rebuilding season at best without Terrance Martin, Childress, and Jonah Sells. There is no offensive line to speak of and not much in the way of defensive backs or linebackers. A few good young 10th grade athletes but at least one is headed to Huntland because his mom has said she will not allow him to play for Carr and Reed and another to Tullahoma at the end of this school year because the family is moving to CC. There are reports that Moore County officials are talking to Atkins and that at least one possibly two players may be headed in that direction if Atkins gets the job in Lynchburg.

This is going to take three to five years to just get back to the place it was this season and I don't see much progress for at least two seasons. I'm notbeing negative just realistic. I will be the first to stand up and give Coach Carr and Reed credit when they turn this ship around and win a region championship but that has not happened in 14 or 15 years. I think you have to go back to Red Roberts team in the 90's to find a great season with the exception of one winning year with Mantooth.

This past season was not a good one. You were 4-7 annd 1-4 in the district. Not good. GC had better talent than that. Talent will be off for a while. What Carr will bring is hard work, respect for every member of the team and discipline. Coach Carr has no ego and will not promote himself. FC is going to stuggle no matter who their coach is. I hope the administration lets him have a full coaching staff.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm good with the hire, Coach Carr was my #2 from the start. I really wanted McCurry, and to know he was even interested suprised me. Then I found out how the negotions went between he and the DOS, and was kind of pissed. I can only hope we get 4th block back for our athletic program as a whole. With Mantooth being AD, and almost everyone within every athletic team being angry, surely something can be done to change her mind.

Coach Carr has a tough road ahead without a doubt! Not a lot of depth, and the program needs several years of stability. Wins would cure some, but reaching out into the community is big too. We need excitement back that has been missing for over a decade. Hopefully fans, and others will give him time and a fair shot at turning things around. Although its a shame he and his football players are at a disadvantage from day 1 with less practice time.

I am constantly amazed on here when folks say the 'Super' will not do something. When folks run into that they either do one of two things:

1. Go to the Supers BOSS and have them influence the super, or

2. If they have no boss and are elected, remind them ALL the parents are voters!

Supers are not all stupid or they would not have the job and WILL see the light.....eventually.

LostOldDad: We no longer have superintendents in TN. We have Directors which do not answer to the electorate, they are hired by the school board and have complete and total authority in hiring although the good ones will allow their principals to hire through recommendations. I knew the FC Director when she was in Williamson County and I can tell you she is no friend to athletics or coaches.

LostOldDad: We no longer have superintendents in TN. We have Directors which do not answer to the electorate, they are hired by the school board and have complete and total authority in hiring although the good ones will allow their principals to hire through recommendations. I knew the FC Director when she was in Williamson County and I can tell you she is no friend to athletics or coaches.

Ahhhh, the 'witch' DOES have a boss then that is elected and hopefully she has to answer to and has the power to take her broom away. With that you put the pressure on her boss and keep it up until they at least address it.

If the board does not want to address it, ask them how impressed with the election results in Mass. they were. dry.gif

Work is McCurry was never a serious contender. Past ghost has and continues to haunt him and he was given a cursery interview to ease tension amongst a few loyalist. Look for Mac to interview for the Moore County job. He is a good football coach with a history that will nix him in most places except Lynchburg.

What is this "past ghost" you speak of???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...