Players playing up?

fastpitchdadd

Then they need to reclassify the private schools that use 8th graders, as well as the rural 7-12 types that have them too.

I have to agree. To a point, if a small school had an eighth grader than can play up and help the team why not? But I would have to guess that there are alot of kids that could qualify to be on the team, but not really get on the field.

I would just hate to see the feeder program (middle school) raided of its talented eighth graders to just put more depth on the bench of the high school program. Which is better for the player in most instances- be a spot player/back-up or alot of regular playing time on the MS team?

From what I understand, this is a regular occurance in South West Virginia (especially Washington County) so much that some of the Middle Schools do not even field a softball team, partly because the 8th graders are on the HS JV squad.

I know that this discusion is about TENNESSEE sports, but I wonder if anyone else has thoughts on this angle? With a child of my own playing middle school softball in a couple of years, I have apprehensions about seeing MS programs lose players to play up, when they may not get to play that much.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then they need to reclassify the private schools that use 8th graders, as well as the rural 7-12 types that have them too.

I don’t have a problem with small schools or large schools for that matter who elect to pull up 8th graders to play any sport neither does the T$$AA. But should we really have a different classification for schools that do????That seems a bit trivial. If the T$$AA was to reclassify public & private schools who pulled up 8th graders to play HS sports my goodness can you imagine all the other circumstances that schools should be reclassified for as well. By my count instead of the “5” classifications we now have for softball “A” “AA” “AAA” “DIIA” “DIIAA” we would have in excess of “10” classifications if the T$$AA reclassified schools based on all the different circumstances that parents complain about with the different private & public school situations. :thumb:

The issue of “Players Playing up” seems more like an issue of parents being concerned that another school is having to field a team using some younger players so that there high school can actually have a Softball team, which in a lot of circumstances is the case. I’m sure there are some cases where the school feels it is good just for the younger 8th graders to get to play with the older HS players to help them develop faster & it probably does. Does this give these particular schools an unfair advantage? In very few circumstances it may but in most probably not. If your child’s school doesn’t allow this maybe you should ask them if they would since it is allowed by the T$$AA, pretty sure you might have more luck with that since the T$$AA is probably not going to change something that they are pretty sure isn’t giving someone an unfair competitive edge since all schools can do this if they want to.

:thumb:

:roflol:

I really don't understand why a school should reclass due to playing 8th graders. The best nine should play, I don't think coaches should bring a kid up if she is not going to start or be a productive player. The biggest concern should be the maturity level of the kid and if she can handle being around the older girls. Most girls who play at a high level in the summer are already playing more competative softball than high school anyway.

Well, If they allow 8th graders to play HS then regardless of whether the middle school is part of the HS or if it is a feeder middle school they should allow 8th graders. Either that or grades 9-12 only. Make it the same for all if part of the same classification.

I think it should be all or none...or maybe limit it to small schools with a definite feeder only. That would include public or private. I don't get letting some schools of the same size use them...but other schools cannot because they are not under one roof or principal as it has been in the past. If a school has a middle school program...they cannot move up is another option.

• 5 weeks later...

My two cents, our school mainly parents are going through this as we speek. With the exception of 8th graders. We had a very talented 8th grade class move up this year, some of those freshman are going to play while less talented sophmors and juniors sit. Some parents like myself spend countless hours, and money for trainers and travelball teams plus the training in which I give to help out the effects of the trainers. Some of these young ladies and parent at the end of reg season through there gear down till next year. If the sophmores and Juniors wanted a starting position than the PARENTs as well as the kid should have done something about it. Lots of Good travel teams out there to learn from. Enough said. :popcorneater:

• 2 weeks later...

Amen! If the freshman are better players I hate it for the older ones. But like you said at the end of the season you throw your bag down and it collects dust until your high school coach decides he wants to practice. When other girls are out there playing travel ball getting better then they deserve to play. Travel girls will play 6 sometimes 8 games in one weekend. They get so much experience at these tournaments.

For those of you who don't know, TSSAA does have a rule for 8th graders playing up. If your school is K-12 under one roof, 8th graders are given 5years of eligibility to play. There is nothing wrong with the younger ball players playing up as long as they can contribute. Look at Coalfield in East Tennessee, the pitcher they have now played as an 8th grader and even made the TSWA Single-A All State Team and then backed it up her Freshman year with another TSWA Single-A All State Team and lead her team to the "Boro" for the schools first ever state tournament. Who knows what She'll do this year ??? With competitive travel ball becoming popular, the younger kids are definitely bringing area softball to a new level.