Fandetti Brawl 2010

ncwrestlingfan

Thanks everyone. I think I get it. In fact I think I got it by the aviator poking the behive!! haha. Seriously, it was not meant to be agitation for an argument. I simply did not know what the divisions are. In NC, we have private schools and public schools and a FEW private schools cross over into public school tourneys during the season. Post season is totally seperate. There are a few exceptions, but in general the private are FAAAAR behind the public schools. The public schools are broke down according to enrollment. 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A, with 1A being the smallest schools. WITH exceptions, larger schools are tougher than smaller schools. Which brings me to a VERY hotly contested debate. Cary HS has won 20 state 4A tittles and has only lost 3 regular season matches since 1977. Totally dominated the state over the long haul with very few hiccups along the way. Parkland over the last 5 years or so have been just as dominate over the 3A division. The last 3 years Parkland has been off the charts, setting all kinds of state records and national records too. This year Parkland has been reclassified into the largest class 4A with Cary. They are on a collision course in the dual team state championship as Parkland will emerge from the West region and Cary from the East. In years past it has been hotly debated as to who was better as they had not met. This year Cary is not as strong as it has been (though still VERY strong) and Parkland may have their best team ever. (two years ago they set so many state and national records I lose count). Both should make it to the finals and this state will pack the gym unlike EVER for a high school match in North Carolina. It should be a war! Check out both teams and see what you think, Parklandwrestling.com and Carywrestling.com . Make sure you click on the tabs and check both teams history and you can see what all the buzz is about. Parkland is wrestling in Tennessee a couple of times in January so you can check them out yourself. You may have seen better wrestlers (I'm sure you have) but it has all 14 weights loaded with very good wrestlers.
If Parkland & Cary are that strong maybe they should attend the McCallie, Father Ryan or Collins Hill tournaments! Should they bypass those tournaments for the Ironman or Beast of the East? There are hundreds of good high school teams but until you travel outside of your comfort zone you will never know how good you truly are.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to financial constraints neither teams travel as much as they would like. Cary goes up and competes every 2-3 years in Pennsylvania and does very well. Parkland is "new" to the scene of top level wrestling and their two trips this year are both in Tennessee. They both send wrestlers to Va Beach for the high school nationals and do quite well there as well. Cary's 285 lb was senior national champion. E. Palmer was ranked #1 nationally all year and is currently wrestling for NC State. In NC the "King Of The Mat" tourney usually has close to half of the field from out of state and is a tough as nails tourney. About the same time, the Tiger Classic is held and it too usually draws some of the best in state and a number of top out of state teams as well. I wish it were easier for NC high school teams to travel to OOS meets but it is VERY difficult to gain approval for such. BTW KOTM and the Tiger Classic are both looking for teams for next year's tourneys, to be held the week before Christmas!

Parkland was in a tourney with Bob Jones, Al before Christmas at KOTM in NC. Due to weather and the economy what was usually a 40 team tourney was down to only 20 teams. Bob Jones was a pretty good team, taking 3rd place. Here's the top 5 from KOTM.

Plc Points Team CH CONS

1 286 Parkland, NC - -

2 195 Lake Norman, NC - -

3 172.5 Bob Jones, Al - -

4 149 Upper Perkiomen, Pa - -

5 103.5 Glenn, NC - -

Link to all placers and all team scores: http://www.ncwrestlingscoutreport.com/f ... =7&t=11071

Since you're familiar with Bob Jones, here's how they did in a recent tournament in which one of Tennessee's more competitive teams, McCallie, participated:

Team Scores

1. McCallie 791.0

2. Vestavia Hills 707.0

3. Mount Anthony Union 703.0

4. Bob Jones 662.0

5. Brother Martin 574.0

6. Oak Mountain 523.0

7. Hewitt Trussville 443.0

8. Centennial 411.0

9. Prattville 359.0

10. Scottsboro 308.0

11. Oxford 283.0

12. Harrison 179.0

13. Vestavia Hills B 102.0

I'm aware of the quality of NC HS wrestling. Two sons of a good friend of mine wrestled in the Charlotte public school system. Both ended up wrestling for Cornell.

I think Tennessee wrestling stacks up VERY well with wrestling in NC. NC has a hand full of good teams and a lot of water weak teams. NC has some outstanding wrestlers SCATTERED throughout the state. Its just this year there are no teams close to giving Parkland a tough match in NC. They beat a top 15(?) team yesterday 62-6. They haven't had a close match yet and I doubt they will in NC. I do think there are at least a half dozen teams in Tennesse that are as good as Parkland, maybe simply better, and in Tennessee it seems the top teams are facing each other often in duals and see lots of stiff competition against each other in tough tourneys. With the talent spread so thin in NC the top teams are vey seldom pushed. I want to see how Parkland stacks up. Can NC's best hang with some of the big dogs in Tennessee? In a large individual tourney I think Parkland would be in trouble. In a duals format, Parkland is formidable. I can't wait until the 1/9 for the Brawl in the Hall and then 1/16 for the Fandetti-Ricardson. Does anyone know who will be at the "Brawl in the Hall" in Bristol? I haven't seen any info on that one.

Okay, Christian Brothers High School is coming up to Johnson City early on Friday to wrestle a couple of duals the night before The Fandetti Brawl and I know that one of the teams had to back out of the duals. If you have a date available, we would love to wrestle Parkland, and Science Hill would probably be interested too. If you are connected to the Parkland program, give one of us a shout and we will set it up.

Chris Lewis

CBHS

I am not connected to Parkland in ANY shape, form, or fashion. Not even a fan. I've just watched them over the last three years. I respect them greatly, don't care for them so much, but respect them a great deal. It would not hurt my feelings IN THE LEAST if they came over to Tennessee and had their arse handed to them on a platter. I wish you guys could hook up with them. 2 Reasons: you guys might beat them and I really would like to see how the best of NC stacks up with with some of the best of Tennessee. It looks as if they're some good teams at the Fandetti Brawl and I hope the same is true for the "Brawl in the Hall" in Bristol. There seems to be a lot of questions yet to be answered as to who the best is in Tennessee (says a lot about the quality depth of Tn wrestling), but there is not much debate in NC. Kick their butt and you know you can take any team in NC. Good luck with team as the season hits high gear and the states!

Okay, Christian Brothers High School is coming up to Johnson City early on Friday to wrestle a couple of duals the night before The Fandetti Brawl and I know that one of the teams had to back out of the duals. If you have a date available, we would love to wrestle Parkland, and Science Hill would probably be interested too. If you are connected to the Parkland program, give one of us a shout and we will set it up.

Chris Lewis

CBHS

I know that Science Hill, CBHS, and Hewitt-Trussville (AL) were to match up Friday night before Fandetti with the hope of another stepping up for a four way. Has H-T dropped out or is it still a 3 way?

I have spoken to Maurice several times about attending the match and it doesn't look as if Parkland will attend. I think the match between Parkland and Christian Brothers would be a good one for sure and would love to have it in our gym. I will contact Coach Atwood again this weekend and see if he would like to make this happen. I believe Parkland is having a time issue and make not be able to make it down on Friday night in time, but trust me we would adjust the weigh-in times if they would agree to wrestle that Friday night. All the teams involved are staying in town and would still get plenty of rest time that night after the matches.

2010 Fandetti-Richardson Brawl

Abingdon HS (VA)

Bearden HS (TN)

Bob Jones HS (AL)

Christian Brothers HS (TN)

Cleveland HS (TN)

George Walton Academy (GA)

Hewitt-Trussville HS (AL)

Jefferson Co. HS (TN)

John Hardin HS (KY)

Kingston HS (TN)

North Henderson HS (NC)

Ooltewah HS (TN)

Owen HS (NC)

Parkland HS (NC)

Perry Central HS (KY)

Science Hill HS (TN)

There are many highly ranked teams from several different states that are attending Fandetti this year. We try to make this tournament as good as possible for both the wrestlers and the fans.

Wrestling starts at 9:30 AM EST

Freedom Hall Arena

1320 Pactolas Road

Johnson City, Tennessee 37604

Greenback (TN) has been added. They will wrestle Friday Night with Science Hill, Hewitt-Trussville, and Christian Brothers in a four way.

I look forward to seeing Parkland heading over to Tennessee and mixing it up with you guys this weekend. They are killing us here in NC, though they lost one of their best wrestlers. It doesn't seemed to have slowed them down in their roll through the competition in NC. I have not heard what happend to the kid. Usually its all over the MBs but not this time. Only thing I heard is he is no longer on the team. Learning a bit more about the teams in Tennessee it looks as though Parkland will get all they want (and then some?) at the Fandetti Brawl 2010!