District 4 AAA

easttnbball11

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are glad to be out of this district. It is always scary at this time of the year. Here are my predictions:

Bearden vs Maryville in Championship

Faragut vs Catholic 3rd Place game

Coaching becomes very important in this district to determine winner. I picked Bearden but that game with Faragut scares me if I was them.

Friday night's match-ups: Lenoir City (3) vs. William Blount (7) and West (4) vs. Farragut (5). Should be some exciting games.

This is a much different format that District 3. I actually like it better, rewards the top 2 teams for the body of work during the season. Any ideas why? I know it might be related to the fact we have 9 teams in district, and have a "play-in" game between the 8-9 seeds. Just curious. This automatically qualifies the top 2 teams for Regions for placing 1-2 in District 4AAA.

Wish I could be at the West-Farragut game. West has struggled at the end of the season, and it would be a shame to see them gone before Regions.

LC beats Catholic by 2 in a nailbiter.... Bearden beats West by 20 something, didn't catch the final score. Thought this game would have been closer after watching West handle Farragut the other night.

LC played very well in the second half. Hood clearly showed why he is the 2 time MVP of the district. Coach Windle did a great job keeping everyone composed when down 14 pts. Catholic got away from what carried them in the first half but Broussard's foul trouble changed Catholic's game plan. Overall I thought the game was pretty well officiated but it is hard to rationalize Catholic never getting to the bonus in a very physical game.

With all that being said, it amazes me that in a tournament setting you would be forced to play with only one scoreboard. That is unexcusable. Also since Catholic was technically the home team should they not have been on the working scoreboard end(home side)? That is a huge advantage in a tight game with every second counting. And speaking of counting seconds--PLEASE FIND A COMPETENT CLOCK OPERATOR!!! With Catholic holding the ball for the last shot of the first half with 14.5 seconds, clock operator never turned on the clock until Catholic attempted a shot which should have been with 1 or 2 seconds left. this allowed LC to come down take a shot and attempt a rebound bucket. Then when Hood made his final FT with 7.4 seconds on the clock, clock operator started the clock as soon as Catholic took the ball out of bounds. Catholic called an immediate timeout upon catching the ball and the clock showed 4.1 seconds. 3.3 seconds is a long time lost in a close game. Catholic then inbounded the ball, got it across halfcourt and called timeout and the clock wasn't stopped until .5 seconds. Officials discussed the situation and reset the clock to 1.2 seconds which gave Catholic time to get a very good look with their best 3 point shooter. It didn't however leave them a chance to enter the ball to the post where they had been very effective or penetrate.

Again this is not to take any thing away from LC or make excuses because they did a great job executing down the stretch and knocked down their FTs. All three games with LC were great games with all coming down to the last seconds. Congrats to the Panthers.

With all due respect irish bball, thats not exactly how the last seven seconds went down. Catholic threw the ball in under the Lenoir City basket. The player dribbled toward the Lenoir City bench. Lenoir City had fouls to give, and fouled him. Time out was called at this point. Catholic took the ball out again, and after throwing it in, dribbled diagonally across the point. After crossing half court, the player called time out. The time clock showed .5 seconds. After conferring, the officials put 1.2 seconds on the clock. Not unusual in this situation. You should not make it sound as if the clock operator just let the clock run. Also, both teams had to deal with the working scoreboard at their backs for a half.