Baylor v.s. McCallie, This year should be good

bigblu1

Great match tonight between two great teams. McCallie is certainly coming back into the mix as far as who is at the top.

Just an observation: McCallie wrestles a backup at 103 lbs possibly due to an injury, McCallie forfeits at 112 lbs because Ward does not make weight, Baylor Watson appears to be hurt and does not wrestle, Baylor wrestles an 8th grader at 125 lbs and looks great, Baylor Manley moves to 130 lbs and wins, McCallie 135 lbs Hooker comes down down from 140 lbs and pins, Baylor Hayes is hurt and possibly done for the year, Baylor heavyweight takes down McCallie heavyweight 10 seconds into the match and leaves hurt.

Can anybody remember a year where so many wrestlers get hurt during the season? Baylor is already missing a star member in Trey Stravrum. Baylor is now missing 2 star members of their team and possibly a 3rd, McCallie is missing 1 and possibly 2 now. It appears the top teams are moving back into the pack.

Where does this leave Ryan, Christian Brothers and MBA? What are their injuries or do they have any? I have never seen anything like this. I know that you have to fight through adversity, but I do not remember a year like this where so many good wrestlers get hurt during the season.

I really feel for Cole Hayes as this could be the 2nd year that he misses the state tournament due to something at the end of the year. Great kid and great family.

Baylor is missing much more than that. They are missing Watson, Stavrum, Hayes, Pinkstaff and Shuford. 5 studs. Terrible, terrible luck this year.

tnlonghorn, I agree with you. I only threw out a few of the studs that are possibly hurt. Has anybody seen anything like this?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the high school tiebreak rules, all six-pointers are created eThen under Silverpie's "all six-pointers are equal" criteria, it looks like Baylor would still have won had Duncan been able to get the extra two team points awarded for a pin at 152 and the score ended at 38-38. There were no a., b. or c. For d., matches were even at 7-7. Move to e. and each had 3 falls, each had one injury default, but Baylor had the only forfeit. So, in the event the match had been tied at the end, it looks like the forfeit at 112 would have decided the match for Baylor. Thankfully, due to the the Baylor 152 avoiding getting pinned by Duncan, it did not have come to that.

No, that would have been McCallie's 4th pin. Both teams would have had five sixes, a five, and a three, so you'd be in the deep end of the tiebreakers.

Silver, not sure I follow you. Criteria (e) says: "The team having accumulated the greater total number of falls, defaults, forfeits and disqualifications shall be declared the winner. Each team accumulated three three pins. Each team accumulated one default. Baylor accumulated one (and the only) forfeit. Baylor would have had 5 sixes and McCallie only 4,wouldn't they? We are discussing a hypothetical that did not happen, but I amj ust curious of how to read that criteria. Thanks.

In the high school tiebreak rules, all six-pointers are created eThen under Silverpie's "all six-pointers are equal" criteria, it looks like Baylor would still have won had Duncan been able to get the extra two team points awarded for a pin at 152 and the score ended at 38-38. There were no a., b. or c. For d., matches were even at 7-7. Move to e. and each had 3 falls, each had one injury default, but Baylor had the only forfeit. So, in the event the match had been tied at the end, it looks like the forfeit at 112 would have decided the match for Baylor. Thankfully, due to the the Baylor 152 avoiding getting pinned by Duncan, it did not have come to that.

No, that would have been McCallie's 4th pin. Both teams would have had five sixes, a five, and a three, so you'd be in the deep end of the tiebreakers.

Silver, not sure I follow you. Criteria (e) says: "The team having accumulated the greater total number of falls, defaults, forfeits and disqualifications shall be declared the winner. Each team accumulated three three pins. Each team accumulated one default. Baylor accumulated one (and the only) forfeit. Baylor would have had 5 sixes and McCallie only 4,wouldn't they? We are discussing a hypothetical that did not happen, but I amj ust curious of how to read that criteria. Thanks.

McCallie had three actual pins (215, 135, and 160), and 152 would have been a fourth in the hypothetical scenario, plus the default at 171 to make five sixes.

Who is going to give props to ymotme. For his prediction of Baylor's new stud Deckelman????? :thumb:;)

If that was his prediction?

Decoy:

Ynotme The Renegade's prediction was that Clements vs Cate would be the best match. I recognized him for that earlier. He called that one right. Ynotme is a contender not a pretender.

The "Baylor's new stud" ( a/k/a Sidd Finch) prediction was from tnlonghorn but he has yet to come forward and claim that Deckelman is who he was talking about. That may be because he described someone who as of Friday still had some eligibility issues that had to be resolved while Deckelman wrestled on Thursday as part of a Baylor JV squad that won 13 out of 20 matches with McCallie. However, Deckleman did look pretty studly in getting a 20-3 tech fall for Baylor in his match.

ynotme the renegade had some good predictions. Cate vs Clements and even a couple of guys wrestling weights they normally dont. He had some inside knowledge for sure. As far as Sidd Finch goes he has yet to toe the line. Deckelman is an 8th grader that has been at Baylor throughout middle school from what I heard in the stands from some insiders. Definite Stud to watch for in upcoming years.

McCallie had three actual pins (215, 135, and 160), and 152 would have been a fourth in the hypothetical scenario, plus the default at 171 to make five sixes.

Yeah, you are right Silver. I was only counting the actual pins recorded and not Duncan's hypothetical pin. That would have given them both five six pointers. Each had a TF and a pin by Duncan would have wiped out the only major decision,the next two criteria, so as you said the match would have gone to the next criteria, most first match points. You are a wise old man. Only the bookkeepers know the results of that criteria so I guess we will never be sure what would have happened if Baylor's Craig had not been able to keep from getting pinned by Duncan.

Links to this morning's newspaper articles on the match:

Ward Gossett:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010 ... 36/?sports

BB Branton:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_168054.asp

Well in spite of all the injuries, the tribe went on the warpath and ended up with the blue scalps. I wondered if the move to Monday would affect attendance - NO. Another great crowd! Some suspect wrestling by some as the nerves of being on the big stage always rattles a few. YnotME the Renegade offers his thanks to the 27 dogs in the race who provided an evening that beat the pants off of 24 (TV show on Monday nights).

As for my predictions.....I'm a pretender at 215 - didn't see that one comin. But like I stated with Silberman, you don't get better at wrestling watching from the bleachers. Maybe Helton paid the price of spectating for 2/3 of the season? Either way, congrats to the young Satterfield for capitalizing on his opportunity.

As for the Ward and weight talk, word amongst the tribe was that Ward had the worst looking ringworm ever seen therefore no use in making weight as he wouldn't have been able to wrestle anyway. One word for that - Lamisil

I'm giving myself a pass at 119 as I can't be held accountable for warm up injuries. Zack might want to consider taping his ankle prior to warm ups in the future?

I knew that the tribe wanted the Silberman / Manley matchup and would insert either Bryant or Deckleman if the blue tried to bump away. I figured it would be Bryant since he's already in hs, but again I can't be held accountable for warm up injuries which forced the use of Bryant at 121.

Someone please explain to me why the blue would allow Hooker to avoid Dostor? With Hooker at 135, blue gets the pin with Dostor picking up the pin at 140. Would Martin at 135 not have been favored over Reece bumping up from 130? If the blue keeps Hooker at 140 and coach him up against Dostor, then the blue takes home the scalps with the warmup injury and the 215 surprise. Seems illogical to not place the outcome of the match on the backs of your best horses against their best horses - but what do I know?

Cate / Clements was close and exciting, but Cate can wrestle much better. Clements has been hurt so he may have more game himself. Should be more fun down the road.

Duncan didn't have enough fire water for the 3rd period. Wonder what happened as his gas was good against the Luster kid in Atlanta?

With a miracle and a prayer, Wrestle90's call of a close one happened but alas their lost opportunity for victory lies at the feet of the blue coaching staff who didn't believe their top dogs could get the job done against the red's best. That's YnotMe the Renegade's take - the contender.

P.S. check out the match pictures on the Chattanoogan site and see if you can spot coacht's tempermental poster.

Great match, 38-37 Baylor.

12 point swing when Helton gets pinned by Satterfield. Watson gets hurt in warmups and McCallie gets a tech at 119. Another 10 point swing. Elsea can't make weight. Clements beats Cate is a pick'em match.

McCallie need pins in the last 3 matches (152, 161, 171) TJ Duncan can't pull the pin on Spencer Craig so Baylor wins 38-37

Chatt: The two McCallie announcers on the webcast said that it was Ward who did not make weight for McCallie at 112-------that he was .2 over. Was it Ward or Elsea?

My bad. It was Ward. All them little guys look alike.

Well in spite of all the injuries, the tribe went on the warpath and ended up with the blue scalps. I wondered if the move to Monday would affect attendance - NO. Another great crowd! Some suspect wrestling by some as the nerves of being on the big stage always rattles a few. YnotME the Renegade offers his thanks to the 27 dogs in the race who provided an evening that beat the pants off of 24 (TV show on Monday nights).

As for my predictions.....I'm a pretender at 215 - didn't see that one comin. But like I stated with Silberman, you don't get better at wrestling watching from the bleachers. Maybe Helton paid the price of spectating for 2/3 of the season? Either way, congrats to the young Satterfield for capitalizing on his opportunity.

As for the Ward and weight talk, word amongst the tribe was that Ward had the worst looking ringworm ever seen therefore no use in making weight as he wouldn't have been able to wrestle anyway. One word for that - Lamisil

I'm giving myself a pass at 119 as I can't be held accountable for warm up injuries. Zack might want to consider taping his ankle prior to warm ups in the future?

I knew that the tribe wanted the Silberman / Manley matchup and would insert either Bryant or Deckleman if the blue tried to bump away. I figured it would be Bryant since he's already in hs, but again I can't be held accountable for warm up injuries which forced the use of Bryant at 121.

Someone please explain to me why the blue would allow Hooker to avoid Dostor? With Hooker at 135, blue gets the pin with Dostor picking up the pin at 140. Would Martin at 135 not have been favored over Reece bumping up from 130? If the blue keeps Hooker at 140 and coach him up against Dostor, then the blue takes home the scalps with the warmup injury and the 215 surprise. Seems illogical to not place the outcome of the match on the backs of your best horses against their best horses - but what do I know?

Cate / Clements was close and exciting, but Cate can wrestle much better. Clements has been hurt so he may have more game himself. Should be more fun down the road.

Duncan didn't have enough fire water for the 3rd period. Wonder what happened as his gas was good against the Luster kid in Atlanta?

With a miracle and a prayer, Wrestle90's call of a close one happened but alas their lost opportunity for victory lies at the feet of the blue coaching staff who didn't believe their top dogs could get the job done against the red's best. That's YnotMe the Renegade's take - the contender.

Ynotme aka RENEGADE. Spot on ole chap! I must agree that is was a very entertaining evening, especially with so many key participants missing from action. Couldnt agree more about the attendence. Its a shame more high school matches arent like that. The only thing I have seen close in recent years is Soddy Bradley a few years back when both were loaded.

Nobody could have seen 215 coming. You street cred isnt dropping from missing that one. I think you hit the nail on the head. Helton was very, very sloppy. He left himself open on a couple of occasions In terribly vunerable situations for someone of his caliber. I agree with you, you cant sit out most of the season and then be on top of your game. Definite talent there, just has to shake off the cobwebs.I was never real clear and why he set out all year to begin with?

The ringworm at 112 makes more sense. The kid has been making 112 all year and now its 114 and he cant make weight for the biggest match of his life to date? I thought that sounded kind of sketchy. I have seen more ringworm this year than in the past 3 combined. I hope its not becoming resistant to medicine.

119- No kidding, what a shocker. I saw his foot while it was iced and it did not appear to be taped. They could have removed it or maybe my old eyes cant see that far from the top railing but all the people around me were commenting on the fact that it wasnt taped before hand. Im sure it will be from now on. Hopefully its just tweaked or something.

Silerman/Manley- I must say they blue crown thinking Silberman could come out of retirement and hang with a top notch talent was wishful thinking. That was an impressive showing by Manley I thought.

Hooker- I couldnt agree more. Im sure they had their reasons for the avoidance. Maybe they were just trying to keep the match close. Maybe there is a bigger gameplan? I think Deckelman gets added at that weight even if Bryant wasnt used at 119. That kid looked really good.

Cate/Clements- Couldnt agree more. Very exciting. I felt Cate was a little too respectful at the beginning. I think if Cate opens up a little more he can win that one. Clements was gassed and those blood times saved him. Also I thought the out of bounds call when Cate had the single leg in the air was HORRIBLE! I have never seen a McCallie team so gassed as they were last night.

Duncan/Craig- again I was suprised at how easily Duncan gassed. he wasnt even working all that hard to be that tired. Thought he should have switched away from the cradles even though he was getting back pints. There are a lot easier ways to pin someone.

P.S. check out the match pictures on the Chattanoogan site and see if you can spot coacht's tempermental poster.

Which coacht poster is pictures on Chattanoogan.com? Is it in the picture of Clements/cate?

A lot of second guessing of the blue here but after the upset win at 215, doesn't blue feel like things are going the blue way? Blue has to like its chances of a pin at 119, a win at 125 (although the red 125 looked to be a stud), and a pin at 152. Who knows? And based upon comments in the paper, blue didn't fel as though they had a viable 112 although they couldn't have done worse than a forfeit.

That's what makes sitting in the stands second guessing the coaches so much fun.

Regarding Helton's absence this season.

David was invited to participate in the U.S. Army All-American Combine in San Antonio,TX which took place in early January. David was one of 500 HS juniors from around the entire nation to be invited to this event, which provides young athletes the chance to showcase their abilities to college football coaches from around the country. David took the time from the end of football season until the combine to prepare for the event and get better at all of the events he would be participating in. Hopefully his time at the combine went well and helped him in the recruiting process.