Baylor v.s. McCallie, This year should be good

bigblu1

Still webcasting for those of us on the other side of the state? What is the start time?

Yes. According to the McCallie School athletic website, the match will be broadcast live starting at 6:00 p.m. EST with McCallie alums BB Branton '69 and Jason Finnell '00 calling the match. When I hit " Click Here For The Broadcast", this is the link I got:

http://www.sportsnation360.com/schools/webcast/McCallie

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Match is on. Pretty good picture. Big news according to announcers ( BB Branton ) is that Cole Hayes has an injured ankle and is out for the remainder of the season. Ankle is in a boot. Also, Alex Ward of McCallie ( 112) did not make weight by .2 lb. Announcers estimate crowd at 2,000.

Match starting at 189.

Match is on. Pretty good picture. Big news according to announcers ( BB Branton ) is that Cole Hayes has an injured ankle and is out for the remainder of the season. Ankle is in a boot. Also, Alex Ward of McCallie ( 112) did not make weight by .2 lb. Announcers estimate crowd at 2,000.

Match starting at 189.

Ferguson won by pin at 189. Then a stunner. Helton was leading Satterfield by a good margin in second period, was working a cradle for the pin, lost his lock, Satterfield reversed and subsequently pinned Helton (after about a minute ). I don't think anyone expected that----predictors had been giving Baylor a pin here. Might make final match outcome interesting.

Looks like no Zach Watson if I saw it correctly... also Hayes is out and Clements appears to be back from injury. We also saw the varsity debut of Josh Deckelman.

Correct. Watson did not wrestle. Announcers have said he is there, in uniform, but did not wrestle.

At start of match announcers said that Hayes had an injured ankle and they described him as being out for the rest of the year. Talked about how Hayes this was the second year in a row that Hayes had suffered a mishap at the end of the season ( last year it was mono) that caused him to miss the state tournament. Not sure how they know for sure he is out for the season but that is what they said.

Deckleman, who wrestled in the JV match against McCallie earlier in the week, looked impressive at 125 winning by TF.

Clements won a close decision over Cate.

Final results:

189--Ferguson (:thumb: pin 6-0

215--Satterfield ( M) pin 6-6

285--Mackie (:lol: inj. def. 12-6

103--Standefer (;) dec. 15-6

112--Eady (:o forfeit 21-6

119--Westbrooks (M) TF 21-11

125--Deckelman (:o TF 26-11

130--Manley (B) pin 32-11

135--Hooker (M) pin 32-17

140--Doster (B) pin 38-17

145--Clements (M) dec. 38-20

152--Duncan (M) maj.dec. 38-24

160--Martino (M) pin 38-30

171--Condrey (M) inj. def. 38-36 Baylor

In the speculation department: Good job by Baylor's 152 to keep from getting pinned by Duncan like I think everyone expected and only getting majored. If Duncan gets the pin, then the score would have been tied at 38-38 and we go to criteria. No unsportsmanlike penalties. 7-7 in matches. What's next, pins? 3-3 . Doesn't the forfeit factor in here somewhere? Would that .2 pounds that Watson was overweight have been the factor in criteria giving Baylor a win?

Also: What would have happened if Ward had made weight at 112 and got a win there? Even if just a decision, that would probably would have required Baylor to consider wrestling Watson at 119. Apparently he injured his ankle in warmups and according to the announcers was limping after the match so he might have still beat Westbrooks, but maybe no pin. But would Baylor have risked it?

Ynotme----good call on the Cate-Clement match. It turned out to be the closest and probably best match as you predicted.

Terrible news about Cole Hayes if he is indeed out for the rest of the year after having gone through this last season as well. Hope Watson's injury is just one of those where they did not want to risk anything for state and he will be fine.

In the high school tiebreak rules, all six-pointers are created equal. Assuming there were no coach's table warnings or match-point unsportsmanlikes, you would look at the first score in each match, and the greater sum would win. (Under NCAA rules, on the other hand, Baylor would win because once you've considered all the sixes, fives, and fours, the next step is forfeits above all other sixes.)

Even if Ward had made weight and pinned Eady like most expected then Watson still would not have wrestled in my opinion. The Baylor coaches are smart enough to consider the well being of a kid more than the wins and losses.

My question is why would McCallie forfeit 112? I understand that the starter, Ward, didn't wrestle, but Adam Connell wrestled 103 in place of Elsea, the normal 103 starter. I'm not sure who weighed in at what weights, but it would only seem logical to let Elsea weigh in at 103 and after Ward didn't make weight let one of the 103 pounders wrestle at 112. The worst thing that can happen is surrender a pin and six points which is the exact same as forfeiting. And as we saw tonight major upsets can occur as with Satterfield pinning Helton. Who's to say that one of the McCallie 103 pounders couldn't pull their own upset at 112.