Stacy Carter new Science Hill Football Coach

NETFan

What made Carter a good coach is probably staying at South. His offensive line coach. The word is Overbay, Ferrell, Miller and Shively resigned thier coaching positions today.

Sounds like a mutiny.

Maybe part of the deal? Resign or be forced out? Will be interesting where they end up.

What about their teaching position? I mean, for Stacy to bring in people they have to have a teaching position right?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about their teaching position? I mean, for Stacy to bring in people they have to have a teaching position right?

Some article somewhere at sometime, I forget the past few days, has stated that he will be able to bring one no problem, but anymore than that depends on if there are any open positions. I'm thinking if all these people have tenure, then you can forget about finding postions for them unless they come somewhere else looking for a job. Now, they might be able to hire assistant coaches, but they will NOT have a teacher's salary to compensate for that. Hard to find coaches that way.

If they stay you can't get "rid" of anyone. It is near impossible to hire people for tenure. Again, these are teachers, and their first job is to teach. If they want to coach, then they get hired on and get a little extra.

Now if JC says "It is in your contract to coach football, you have to coach" then that is something different.

And I did hear from a Hilltopper fan tonight. She said she was excited to see Carter get the job but was heartbroken that Overbay got passed over again.

And let the fireworks...begin.

Edit: One more thing from the news. Haynie has first shot at the South job, if he wants it it is his. If not, the second name mentioned was Ralph Nelson. Haynie will stay at South as head coach, and the Rebels are in good hands.

Edit the Edit:

From Tricitiessports.com

"Turner said an second assistant could possibly be included.

"We'll have to look at the teaching positions that are open or will come open," continued Turner. "We're a public school so we can't just create positions, but if we can work it our for a second coach to come with him, Stacy will have that option."

Turner said that no members of the current staff will be required to be retained by Carter, but virtually could have a role within the 'Topper football program."

I think a mutiny might actually work to derail the entire Science Hill football program and their shiny new coach....ouch if some of the rumors are true.

Comp,

That was a good read. I enjoyed watching your son play. True to your words about Stacy, you son ran the way he coached. I loved watching him lower his shoulder and deliver the hits. How is he doing?

TTR

TTR, thanks for the kind words. His football career is over. He left Charleston because he was not a good fit for their offense. He was told that he hit the hole too fast. They tried to teach him to slow down and wait for the block to develop but to him that was counterproductive. He left there and ended up at UVA Wise. He bought himself a starting job at TB over 2 seniors, 1 junior and 1 soph. Not to mention 5 frosh RB's. He was the slowest RB they had but he was the quickest. And immediately became the leading rusher. In game 7 he fumbled and caused a score and was removed from the game. He had some choice words for the coach. He was relegated to special teams for the remainder of the season. The coach telling him that he would be the featured back for 2010. Meanwhile their running game disappeared. He asked for more money for 2010 and was told to wait and see. He decided to persue his medical career at ETSU and is there today.

if SHHS wants open positions they can find them or make them. There are teachers that don't have tenure that can be fired. There are teachers that the pressure to teach can be turned up on to the extent that they quit or move. The coaches that resigned can be pressured in the classroom to the point that they want something else. It can be done, just don't know if SHHS will do it. Them quitting may be the best thing for Carter if they will let him get his assistants. The teachers that were hired to coach would be moved to places they didn't want to be and forced to quit at a football school. I don't know about SHHS.

I know coaches in other states at football powerhouses, the coaches do not get tenure as teachers. That way when they need to make a football change, it can be done. But they also pay a lot more than NET.

It will be interesting. I reckon we will find out how much SHHS wants football.

Ok...I'm ready to reevaluate my allegiances and alliances and I definately won't be bashing the new SH head prophet/messiah......at least not today. Forget the money, the new field, the 2100 world class atheltes. To paraphrase Carter on TV: "God called me to Science Hill". Implied has to be that he told him to get the heck out of South while he can.

lightning-gallery-18.jpg

if SHHS wants open positions they can find them or make them. There are teachers that don't have tenure that can be fired. There are teachers that the pressure to teach can be turned up on to the extent that they quit or move. The coaches that resigned can be pressured in the classroom to the point that they want something else. It can be done, just don't know if SHHS will do it. Them quitting may be the best thing for Carter if they will let him get his assistants. The teachers that were hired to coach would be moved to places they didn't want to be and forced to quit at a football school. I don't know about SHHS.

I know coaches in other states at football powerhouses, the coaches do not get tenure as teachers. That way when they need to make a football change, it can be done. But they also pay a lot more than NET.

It will be interesting. I reckon we will find out how much SHHS wants football.

1. There is definitely one position there besides the one that Carter has taken, and from different news reports and rumors, it seems like Ralph Nelson has that spot if he wants it. It matches what he can teach or they can move people around so it works for him.

2. There MIGHT be a second spot available for someone, but they are not sure. In other words, a teacher has told the administration that they may or may not be coming back/retiring. I'm assuming this person has tenure so...it is up to them not the school system.

3. Ok, you are right about one point, if someone wanted to they could pressure a teacher to quit...and then end up getting sued as it became widely apparent that they were treated unfairly so that a new football coach could get a job. But you are right, pressure could be done...but it will not.

It has already been said by the AD or Director of Schools that they can NOT create positions out of thin air. They have a budget, they have to meet that budget. They will NOT spend another 80k in their budget a year just to have two more assistant football coaches. If the state gave them more money or classrooms were filled to the brim, then they would go and get someone else.

Understand, the whole city of JC is not just eager to have a new football program that is incredible and makes everyone go "Awwww". The only people who care about that are football fans, alumni, parents of students. The rest of the people in JC probably could care less about football but they do care if their taxes are raised because of football. If it got out to the press that "the budget is not working out because we hired 4 assistants so we are 160k off" then you would have a lot of unhappy whoever complaining to the city.

It's what JC does best... complain. Anyone who has watched city meetings or been in the area knows JC is full of drama that only JC creates.

Ok...I'm ready to reevaluate my allegiances and alliances and I definately won't be bashing the new SH head prophet/messiah......at least not today. Forget the money, the new field, the 2100 world class atheltes. To paraphrase Carter on TV: "God called me to Science Hill". Implied has to be that he told him to get the heck out of South while he can.

lightning-gallery-18.jpg

Your post definately sounds like bashing. Carter is not only a good coach, but also a good man who knows that there is more to life than just football. He has been a good infleunce at South High, as he will be to SHHS I respect Carter or anyone else who knows what is best for them and their family. If the shoe was on the other foot, would we not also jump at that chance. I definately believe that God does direct our path if we are in the position to listen.

Your post definately sounds like bashing. Carter is not only a good coach, but also a good man who knows that there is more to life than just football. He has been a good infleunce at South High, as he will be to SHHS I respect Carter or anyone else who knows what is best for them and their family. If the shoe was on the other foot, would we not also jump at that chance. I definately believe that God does direct our path if we are in the position to listen.

Amen brother. Just havin a little fun.

ps Are you sure God didn't guide me to post that?

lightning-gallery-18.jpg

None of us "know" what is best for our family any more than we can predict the future. Those of us who lead our families make our decisions on what we "think' will be best for them. Unfortunately most of us tend to think that more money is always the best thing. I know Coach Carter is a good man and excellent football coach who sought God's direction in this decision. If he felt led to make the move, then I believe it. To assume that God is leading him to a new,bigger and more important ministry in Science Hill football would be pretentious on our part and his. The experience may be about revealing weaknesses in his own character. Time will tell. Good luck Coach Carter.

My understanding from a good friend of his is that he wants his career to lead to college coaching. I can see some reasoning in moving to a bigger program(6A) versus staying at a county school with declining future enrollment a certainty. I can also see value in nearly doubling your income, but Stacy never seemed to be motivated that way.

I, for one, wish him the best....except against South Rebels. My loyalty now lies with our new chief, Coach Haynie.