Stacy Carter new Science Hill Football Coach

NETFan

My understanding from a good friend of his is that he wants his career to lead to college coaching. I can see some reasoning in moving to a bigger program(6A) versus staying at a county school with declining future enrollment a certainty. I can also see value in nearly doubling your income, but Stacy never seemed to be motivated that way.

I, for one, wish him the best....except against South Rebels. My loyalty now lies with our new chief, Coach Haynie.

A big DUH there. 2Rebels, I'm glad somone else sees it the way I do. If you follow the Scott Smith thread back to the beginning you will see my analogy that this is a stepping stone to ETSU. I said it two months ago. All the brainiacs laughed. The timing will be about right. They will get football back...that is a fact. One way or another. And why would the man leave his alma-mater with such success? Because he has bigger fish to fry. Everything is perfect for him...his age, his background, his philosophy, and so far his coaching history. You think he had a burning desire to go to the Hill? Good grief. :oops:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding from a good friend of his is that he wants his career to lead to college coaching. I can see some reasoning in moving to a bigger program(6A) versus staying at a county school with declining future enrollment a certainty. I can also see value in nearly doubling your income, but Stacy never seemed to be motivated that way.

I, for one, wish him the best....except against South Rebels. My loyalty now lies with our new chief, Coach Haynie.

A big DUH there. 2Rebels, I'm glad somone else sees it the way I do. If you follow the Scott Smith thread back to the beginning you will see my analogy that this is a stepping stone to ETSU. I said it two months ago. All the brainiacs laughed. The timing will be about right. They will get football back...that is a fact. One way or another. And why would the man leave his alma-mater with such success? Because he has bigger fish to fry. Everything is perfect for him...his age, his background, his philosophy, and so far his coaching history. You think he had a burning desire to go to the Hill? Good grief. :oops:

ETSU will not bring back football,Science Hill will not be a stepping stone to the college ranks nor will they beat Dobyns-Bennett will any regularity,South may shrink in enrollment while continuing to support a thriving football program and eventually become Kingsport's 2nd city high school in effect garnering pay raises for those who have remained faithful to the cause. A pipe-dream? Laugh all you want. These scenarios are more likely outcomes than the others I've read posted; IMHO.

A big DUH there. 2Rebels, I'm glad somone else sees it the way I do. If you follow the Scott Smith thread back to the beginning you will see my analogy that this is a stepping stone to ETSU. I said it two months ago. All the brainiacs laughed. The timing will be about right. They will get football back...that is a fact. One way or another. And why would the man leave his alma-mater with such success? Because he has bigger fish to fry. Everything is perfect for him...his age, his background, his philosophy, and so far his coaching history. You think he had a burning desire to go to the Hill? Good grief. :x

ETSU will not bring back football,Science Hill will not be a stepping stone to the college ranks nor will they beat Dobyns-Bennett will any regularity,South may shrink in enrollment while continuing to support a thriving football program and eventually become Kingsport's 2nd city high school in effect garnering pay raises for those who have remained faithful to the cause. A pipe-dream? Laugh all you want. These scenarios are more likely outcomes than the others I've read posted; IMHO.

I agree with you crawdad. It has already been discused having a second high school in the city of Kingsport. I don't see them building one.

The Southers will burn the school down before they let the city get their hands on it. What should happen is the city needs to buy North (already in city limits) from the county and turn it into a Vocational type school that will feed into Eastman and all the new programs going on downtown. They will keep DB for college prep only, the vocational school won't have sports, but somehow they will manage to get it under the DB wing and we can attract all the county kids who want a really good vo-tech type program and want to play ball....... and the county people will hate the city (DB) even more for it.

ETSU will bring back football, but unless the adimistration believes in bringing more regional people, they will look elsewhere for their football coach. Specifically, if they are looking for a new coach for a program that just started up again, they will look for someone who has experience building a brand new program.

ETSU will be looking for a college coach, not a high school coach. And if money is all it is about, and as good as Coach Carter has been....there are other coaches in the state I would look to first before I would look at Carter.

Good luck Coach Carter, I wish you well. Played for you when you were a position coach at South. Thanks for the memories. I wish you success except when you play us. Now that the pc thing has been said... oh by the way good luck getting past DB and Maryville later on. My alligence will always lie with the school not the coach. Geez how many days till football season? Looks like we have another rivalry game to look forward to for the next couple years!

Good luck Coach Carter, I wish you well. Played for you when you were a position coach at South. Thanks for the memories. I wish you success except when you play us. Now that the pc thing has been said... oh by the way good luck getting past DB and Maryville later on. My alligence will always lie with the school not the coach. Geez how many days till football season? Looks like we have another rivalry game to look forward to for the next couple years!

:x

ETSU will bring back football, but unless the adimistration believes in bringing more regional people, they will look elsewhere for their football coach. Specifically, if they are looking for a new coach for a program that just started up again, they will look for someone who has experience building a brand new program.

ETSU will be looking for a college coach, not a high school coach. And if money is all it is about, and as good as Coach Carter has been....there are other coaches in the state I would look to first before I would look at Carter.

Nope. You're wrong FB. ETSU will return to football because of regional interest. And it will be a regional coaching staff that carries the flag. The complaint in the past is that the Bucs didn't pay enough attention to regional athletes. Therefore regional interest and regional attendance was non-existant. That won't happen again. It will be all about the local area. At least to begin. And that is what will bring in the fans. To see their local hero coach take it up a notch and compete with our local superstars. You'll see...it will be this time around the way it should have always been. Tons of good talent in East Tennessee and Southwest Va. ETSU is a great accademic school. Can you imagine Curt Phillips, Coty Sensabaugh, Jay Cobb Coleman to mention a few. I'm telling you it will happen and it will happen just like that. Only one problem. ETSU is almost landlocked. They need more space. This should be their primary concern at the present. I would say 4-7 years at most.

Good luck coach Carter. Its an exciting time at the Hill in football with a new stadium, artificial turf and a new coach.

Doesn't apply to football, but topper basketball will also have a larger version of the 'Topper Palace to play in a couple years down the road. Great time to be a 'Topper indeed.

Nope. You're wrong FB. ETSU will return to football because of regional interest. And it will be a regional coaching staff that carries the flag. The complaint in the past is that the Bucs didn't pay enough attention to regional athletes. Therefore regional interest and regional attendance was non-existant. That won't happen again. It will be all about the local area. At least to begin. And that is what will bring in the fans. To see their local hero coach take it up a notch and compete with our local superstars. You'll see...it will be this time around the way it should have always been. Tons of good talent in East Tennessee and Southwest Va. ETSU is a great accademic school. Can you imagine Curt Phillips, Coty Sensabaugh, Jay Cobb Coleman to mention a few. I'm telling you it will happen and it will happen just like that. Only one problem. ETSU is almost landlocked. They need more space. This should be their primary concern at the present. I would say 4-7 years at most.

Well we are going to agree and disagree on this one buddy. First let me say I see what you are saying and I will admit, I think it would be awesome to have local flavor on an ETSU football team. Hands down, that would keep a lot more people in the area interested in the football team if you had 15 or 20 kids a year from THIS region playing, walking on, scholarships, etc. And I will admit, having a local coach running the program and doing all that is exciting as well. I won't argue with that at all.

Here is the problem as I see it starting up though. High school and college is two different territories. Not only do you have the play calling and such, but you also have the following the rules and recruiting. ETSU or any school is not going to take a chance on the first year by hiring someone who is out of high school and hasn't had college football coaching experience SINCE college. ETSU may bring back football, but ETSU will fall into the same trap they did last time UNLESS they put in more region flavor. Am I saying hire only locals? Nope. But whoever is in there needs to look locally at the kids. Even when some of them were on there, kids I played with got scholarships but never even saw the field except in practice.

I promise, if this does happen 7 years from now, please call me out on it because I would be excited for ETSU to bring back football this way. I just don't see it as realistic because ETSU will look at bringing kids from all over, maybe one kid locally, just like they used to. Look for an outside hire, probably an assistant at some other college who wants to try their hand at a head coaching job.