Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

Well considering I see that DB and South took their time to take their own team stuff (which should be applauded since they have a lot of fans who take part in this forum) I figured instead of making one about my own team I'd just make a general one to talk about the conference and what we have to look forward to in August.

Sullivan Central - Best QB in the league, maybe be able to see something out of them this year

Sullivan South - lost a lot but always loaded, should still be a strong team

Tennessee High - lost a lot and don't really know much yet, but we can always expect a pretty strong team

Volunteer - terrible season, but I think everyone is back and this crew could make some noise

Davy Crockett - lost a ton and should be on the rocks this year

Daniel Boone - lost some key players but returning a very large class

Science Hill - new coach (wait who really?) and a young class with a ton of talent

Dobyns- Bennett - down season, but bringing back almost everyone especially a certain RB.

Thoughts?

Regular Season

DB 9 - 1

Science Hill 7 - 3

South 7 - 3

Daniel Boone 6 - 4

Tenn. 6 - 4

That's the playoff teams. Still haven't figured out the playoff system, however. I believe a 7 -3 SH would have gone this year? Central best of the rest? DB should never lose in this conference, but will trip up against someone. Great home field advantage this year for DB, I believe. Everybody in JC will be singing Carter's praises for making the playoffs. One and done though. South has more home games, but not the big games. DB should beat them handily. I say should. Hope they get over-confident, but with new coaches and the unpredictability that entails, not one for DB to take lightly. I believe South starts with West again. Tough game. The South - Science Hill game should be circled on every South player's calender. Hopefully the best game of the year and looking for the team with the ball last to win.

Regular Season

DB 9 - 1

Science Hill 7 - 3

South 7 - 3

Daniel Boone 6 - 4

Tenn. 6 - 4

That's the playoff teams. Still haven't figured out the playoff system, however. I believe a 7 -3 SH would have gone this year? Central best of the rest? DB should never lose in this conference, but will trip up against someone. Great home field advantage this year for DB, I believe. Everybody in JC will be singing Carter's praises for making the playoffs. One and done though. South has more home games, but not the big games. DB should beat them handily. I say should. Hope they get over-confident, but with new coaches and the unpredictability that entails, not one for DB to take lightly. I believe South starts with West again. Tough game. The South - Science Hill game should be circled on every South player's calender. Hopefully the best game of the year and looking for the team with the ball last to win.

Well if he makes the Playoffs, better hope it isn't 5-5 or 6-4 because they will be playing Maryville for either DB or Science Hill. If Science Hill does NOT make the playoffs this year then something is terribly wrong in JC.

Boone has Science Hill, DB, Seymour, Cherokee, North, and TN High as home games. Huge games from the home perspective so good crowds will be aplenty from week 3 on for Boone.

We travel to South, a tough game, but I'd say this will be the toughest Boone team South has faced, more so than last year, but Boone has only won one time in school history at South so week 2 will be huge for South and Boone.

Even if we lost to the three teams you stated, I still see my boys at at least 7 wins. I think they will be able to take it to TN High. If that Science Hill team is too young, they could probably take it to them as well. DB will be the toughest game of the year, and DB will be itching for some payback. I see the TN High game as being emotional, but one that we can win. Cherokee will be a big game, since I think they will come loaded this year or the next.

Lots more competition, just like last year. The conference should be a good one to watch this year. I wonder if we will see any changes the year after next since a lot of people complained. If they would just put a stipulation that a team MUST be 5-5 to reach the playoffs then a lot of griping would go away and people would be happier. I doubt they will change the system too much tho, since they made about 600k more, based on what they reported a few weeks ago, on this playoff system.

2009 was a great first big 8 for many of the teams.To say DB should never lose a game in this conference is way to much Jhilts.Tennessee High and Science Hill have had great athletes for years.South has been special for the last few years.We had three of the states best 5A teams in the conference last year.Sure DB and SH should be a favorite to finish very high every year .The bottom line for DB and SH is finding a little something for teams like Maryville to try and get out of the east.I think most years TH,South and Boone will be in the playoff mix. The road for the 5A teams in the playoffs got a 100x better when Maryville moved up,and I think someone might get it done one of these days.My guess would be a good Tennessee High team like this past year or when they did it back to back in the seventies.

This is a discussion because the talent level has dropped dramatically at D-B. I don't mean to offend parents or friends, but it's true. When D-B had those semi-final teams from 1998-2002, no one in this area has had anything that could play with them.....ever. Coach Clark did a great job of getting the minority kids out and they were loaded. If D-B were still at that level it wouldn't matter what anyone else had. Shoot, they have managed to convincingly beat South regardless, and South has had the best teams in the history of their program. Even the guys who found trouble and ulitmately had to leave the team were phenominal while they were there. (IE- Sentell Brice, Tylee Henry, Jermaine Carpenter, etc.) D-B looks far more like a county team now and that's why they have played like one. It will be interesting to see if the general appearance of the team changes anytime soon.

Stonewall,I agree that we had a few kids that could have made a difference in the last couple of years,but they didn't play.The best athlete to walk the halls in the last few years was not available to play.We had a lot of very good all around athletes that would have made a difference as well.One or two guys with speed and skill would have made a big difference for our overall team.Five or Six guys and we might have been playing Maryville in the quarter round this year and playing for the state last year.

2009 was a great first big 8 for many of the teams.To say DB should never lose a game in this conference is way to much Jhilts.Tennessee High and Science Hill have had great athletes for years.South has been special for the last few years.We had three of the states best 5A teams in the conference last year.Sure DB and SH should be a favorite to finish very high every year .The bottom line for DB and SH is finding a little something for teams like Maryville to try and get out of the east.I think most years TH,South and Boone will be in the playoff mix. The road for the 5A teams in the playoffs got a 100x better when Maryville moved up,and I think someone might get it done one of these days.My guess would be a good Tennessee High team like this past year or when they did it back to back in the seventies.

As it got on later in the year, you either got out played or out coached. First time Boone played TN High, Boone got absolutely out played hands down. Second time, TN High just got out coached. South nipped Boone in the bud twice and made it to the 4th round only to lose fairly handily to the runner up in the state. Go back to South and DB and you have a game where South absolutely got outplayed, but if you go tot he Boone vs DB game you get down to an outcoached game. This past year was interesting in that anything could happen week to week. I think each of the teams got better knowing DB was on the schedule and that is key...if you can play with DB you should be successful, and that says a lot about the program that DB has put together.

Who will be the players to watch for next year on each team? In ya'lls HUMBLE opinion?

Whoever that running back is from DB I forget his name... :thumb:

QB from Central if he can get things going.

QB/Receiver from South should be stepping into his own, but I see he needs to work on throwing it better, but I think he could be a real warrior this next year.

Chandley for Boone should make some noise on offense and defense. Good could be the best lineman in the conference. Big 50 whatever his name is could be a monster for Boone next year too.

Im not going to pretend to know everything about all the teams in the Big 8, but I'll make a short stab at next years possibilities. I think DB will be the team to beat in the conference next year "IF" the team works hard in the off season. Especially the offensive & defensive lines. I was happy to see the words by Hayworth in the paper yesterday. Hopfully the rest of the team has the same mindset. If the line gets back to what we're used to seeing at DB in the past years the Indians will be looking at a 10-0 or 9-1 regular season record. I don't see them losing a in conference game. I think Daniel Boone will be the second place team with their only in conference loss to DB. I think South will finish third with loses to DB & DB. Science Hill forth, Tennessee High fifth, Volunteer sixth, Central seventh, and DC bringing up the rear.