biggest rule change in years

fblover

"However, when the head coach does question a judgement call (thereby violating a BOOK rule), he should be the only one on the team to do it. The assistant/first base coach's job is to tell a runner to go to 2nd or to get back on a pickoff attempt or to take batting gloves. PERIOD!"

glock:

Are you serious? If you are, then you have either never been a coach (head or assistant), or obviously have never been a GOOD coach if you think this is an accurate description of an assistant coach. Trust me, it goes FAR beyond the sad picture you have painted!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"However, when the head coach does question a judgement call (thereby violating a BOOK rule), he should be the only one on the team to do it. The assistant/first base coach's job is to tell a runner to go to 2nd or to get back on a pickoff attempt or to take batting gloves. PERIOD!"

glock:

Are you serious? If you are, then you have either never been a coach (head or assistant), or obviously have never been a GOOD coach if you think this is an accurate description of an assistant coach. Trust me, it goes FAR beyond the sad picture you have painted!

Let me clarify then.

During the course of a game, the assistant coach's job, while occupying his coaching box is to tell a runner to go the second, get back on a pickoff attempt or to collect helmets or batting gloves. If there is something different in the rule book, post it. An assistant has NO rights on the field as a coach as far as interaction with an umpire goes, none.

Umpires generally don't care who wins, but they do care about what's most important to them. Strikes and outs, otherwise known as game management. Most coaches or fans for that matter, don't mind if it's a blow out, but if it's just a long game, use that judgement you're so fond of. Really, who cares who's arguing the call? The first base coach has a better view on his side of the field than all of the time, the coach on the other side of the field and oftentimes the umpire making the call. If an umpire is lazy on rotations, is too sensitive to his calls being criticized or is just a jerk, why shouldn't he be challenged? He's not going to get a $250 fine if he royally screws up a call that costs a team a game nor can the game be protested successfully if he is completely in the wrong. Professionalism cuts both ways.

Pitch counts are used and rightly so, by every level of baseball for the well being of the player. It doesn't matter if the kid has a shot at the next level or not. He has a shot at his next opportunity on the mound and who knows what the underclassmen might have a shot at if their pitch counts aren't monitored as they should be. Even if he doesn't, nobody has the right to put the kid's health in jeopardy.

It's about the kids. All of the time.

I see how this is going to work.

Game one, toss the head coach because the assistant argues a call. Not restricted to the dugout. Tossed. No bad language, nothing. Just another 'judgement call' that a bad umpire can screw up.

We didn't need more rules, we needed better implementation of the rules that we have.

Nope. Never confined to the bench. Just tossed.

I think the fine will be over turned on appeal and I hope blue is tweaking his 'game' at the middle school level.

Here's the bad thing about bad new rules. There's always somebody that wants to either make an example out of someone because they can or they want to be the first to put a notch in their belt.

New rules after in 2010? That just means you couldn't adequately enforce the rules you had in 2009. How long have we been playing baseball? Why any new rules that don't involve the evolution of equipment? I'd like to see a $250 fine for an umpire that puts himself before the game or makes a mockery of it. A coach gets out of line and they're restricted to the dugout at the least, tossed and then fined at the most. An umpire loses his cool and maybe he gets blackballed by that coach.

Respect the game.