AP Poll 2/1/2010

foxylady

Tennessee Girls Basketball Prep Poll

By The Associated Press

The Associated Press’ Top 10 teams in each of Tennessee’s three Division I non-financial aid classifications and in the combined Division II financial aid classification as selected by Tennessee AP-member sportswriters and broadcasters. With first-place votes in parentheses, records through February 1, total points based on 10 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 10th-place vote:

Class AAA

School;Record;Pts;Prv

1. Morristown West (15);20-1;182;1

2. Mt. Juliet (1);21-1;150;2

3. Memphis Central (2);14-3;137;3

4. Riverdale;16-2;124;4

5. Walker Valley (2);22-1;106;5

6. LaVergne;20-1;92;6

7. Millington;22-2;71;7

8. Clarksville;18-3;58;8

T9. Cocke County;18-5;29;10

T9. Blackman;16-3;29;9

Others receiving 12 or more points: Maryville 28. Lawrence County 25. Jackson Northside 16. Kingsport Dobyns Bennett 14.

Class AA

School;Record;Pts;Prv

1. Obion County (7);19-3;172;4

2. McMinn Central (7);19-1;164;2

3. Gibson County (3);20-1;161;1

4. Elizabethton (2);19-1;144;3

5. Cannon County;19-1;101;5

6. South Greene;15-4;71;7

7. Westview;17-3;66;8

8. Livingston Academy;18-6;60;6

9. Upperman;16-5;39;10

T10. Macon County;20-1;31

T10. Fairley;17-3;31;9

Others receiving 12 or more points: CPA 27.

Class A

School;Record;Pts;Prv

1. Jackson County (12);20-3;183;1

2. Middleton (6);19-0;179;2

3. Gleason (1);17-2;135;3

4. Forrest (1);19-4;127;4

5. Lake County;21-3;118;5

6. Greenfield;18-3;92;6

7. Cornersville;19-2;78;8

8. Tellico Plains;19-2;58;9

9. Clarkrange;15-6;57;7

10. Scotts Hill;18-3;12

Division II

School;Record;Pts;Prv

1. St. Benedict (11);19-3;160;1

2. Franklin Road Academy (4);16-2;155;3

3. Ensworth (2);15-4;131;2

4. Davidson Academy (1);18-1;126;5

5. Briarcrest;16-5;121;4

T6. Ezell-Harding;17-5;63;7

T6. Girls Prep;14-6;63;6

8. Harding Academy;9-4;48;8

9. Lausanne Collegiate;11-6;46;9

10. Father Ryan;12-7;29;10

Others receiving 12 or more points: Baylor 15. Harpeth Hall 12.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big 8 Conference Overall

W L W L

Science Hill 9 1 17 5

Dobyns-Bennett 8 2 15 5

Sullivan Central 7 3 15 7

Tennessee High 6 3 14 7

Daniel Boone 3 6 7 10

Volunteer 3 7 8 10

Sullivan South 3 7 6 9

David Crockett 0 10 1 12

Three Rivers Conference Overall

W L W L

Elizabethton 7 0 19 1

Unicoi County 5 1 16 5

Sullivan East 4 2 8 11

Sullivan North 1 6 7 12

Happy Valley 2 5 6 12

Johnson County 1 6 3 13

Monday, January 25

South Greene 56, Tennessee High 46

Nice recognition for the Lady Rebels but a #1 state ranking can work in two different ways. :thumb:

It all depends on how you handle the hype that comes with this from your fan base. B)

No matter who is ranked where at the end of the regular season, the post-season tourney gets underway in a couple of weeks and whoever shows up and performs the best will be the the one to take home the big prize- state rankings will not help you B)

With that being said- congrats to the "OC" for the #1 ranking which is much deserving after knocking off the #1 ranked team last week who had won 55 straight(40 straight at home) and are the defending 2A state champs and still poised to make another post-season tournament run.

again the post-season tourneys, especially in West TN will be very interesting ;)

Congrats to the Central girls for their number 1 ranking.I saw where an Obion Central fan thought it was well deserved.This isnt a knock on Central.I'm sure they are a top 5 team as far as rankings but Gibson Co should still be the number 1 ranked team,even with a loss.Gibson Co still only has 1 loss.Central has 3.I know Central won the last meeting .Still cant see how Central moved up over 2 teams with better records.I look at polls and some of the scores.About the only thing the voters can do because they arent able to see all then teams.I saw Lake Co play for the first time last week and they were very impressive against Dyersburg.So I saw that they were 5th in Single A.Then I started looking at some of the teams they had played and saw that Central played some of the same teams and looked at Lake Co's record.Lake Co has lost 3 games,a couple 1 point games to a team in Kentucky and 1 point to Greenfield.Another game to Liberty by 5.Since then Greenfield beat the number 1 team in the State at the time in Gleason and then Lake Co beat Greenfield ,who is highly ranked.Now,Central is ranked number 1.They have lost to Gibson Co by 16 points,lost to Liberty by 2,the same team and one of the few teams to beat Lake Co.Obion Cen beat Dyersburg by 12 points.Lake Co beat Dyersburg by 19.Central beat South Fulton by 16 and about 20 points.Lake Co has beaten South Fulton by about 20 points and 30 points.So.it doesnt seem like the voters are voting the same .Central is ranked number 1 in AA and Lake Co is no higher than 5th in Single A.And they have played about the same teams in a lot of cases.If that's the case then just by looking at the voters,then Single A ball must be better than Double A this year.Gibson Co is the best team in our area.This wasnt a knock on Central.Just that I went and watched Lake Co and looked at their ranking and then saw the teams that they have played were some of the same teams that Central has played.But yet..the polls are so different.Lake Co has won by a larger margin and just as impressive but yet the votershave Lake Co 5th in Single A.Now in saying this,Lake Co may be the number 5 team in the State in Single A.If they are ,then it looks like Central should be about the same in Double A.No big deal,as I was just comparing some scores and didn't notice a lot of difference.Some people are going to say,you can't compare scores but that's all the voters can look at is the scores.I just wish I could see a good girls team with our boys team but Dyer Co has improved I believe.

Congrats Obion Central on the #1 ranking....

I was surprised to see they had jumped over McMinn Co and Elizabethton who were #2 and # 3 respectively last week....I guess in the eyes of the voters a win on the road against a team with 3 DI signees that had won 55 straight games overall and 40 in a row on their home court AND that team being the defending state champion carried a whole lot of weight....

Not sure about all those Lake County comparisons though or what it matters....Lake County is a very good team..How they would stack up against Jackson Co, Middleton, Gleason, or Forrest THIS YEAR is yet to be seen...I think the #5 ranking for LC may be low...I might have them at least at #3...

I think Elizabethton did have their loss last week at the same time GC lost their game- so I can see why they didn't move up. Some say it's a bit of a surprise though that McMinn didn't lock down the top spot.

OC received 7 first place votes though which helped their overall votes and gave them the nod B)

everyone is still impressed by the OC win over a good GC team but only time will tell if this was just a case of "having a good night" or the makings of a consistent team when it comes to taking on the most talent in the area- and winning. ;)

With all this said-- 13AA may be the place the be come tournament time--

you know , you got to get yo popcorn ready!! :thumb:

I was surprised to see they had jumped over McMinn Co and Elizabethton who were #2 and # 3 respectively last week....I guess in the eyes of the voters a win on the road against a team with 3 DI signees that had won 55 straight games overall and 40 in a row on their home court AND that team being the defending state champion carried a whole lot of weight....

Not sure about all those Lake County comparisons though or what it matters....Lake County is a very good team..How they would stack up against Jackson Co, Middleton, Gleason, or Forrest THIS YEAR is yet to be seen...I think the #5 ranking for LC may be low...I might have them at least at #3...

That is McMinn CENTRAL... McMinn Co. is a AAA school and usually not very good... just sayin'

That is McMinn CENTRAL... McMinn Co. is a AAA school and usually not very good... just sayin'

I guess you're right.It'll all work out.Maybe Lake Co just looked very good the night I saw them against Dyersburg.I was expecting a close game.Anyway,

congrats to the Central girls on their ranking.!

OK...Thanks

I think Elizabethton did have their loss last week at the same time GC lost their game- so I can see why they didn't move up. Some say it's a bit of a surprise though that McMinn didn't lock down the top spot.

OC received 7 first place votes though which helped their overall votes and gave them the nod B)

everyone is still impressed by the OC win over a good GC team but only time will tell if this was just a case of "having a good night" or the makings of a consistent team when it comes to taking on the most talent in the area- and winning. ;)

With all this said-- 13AA may be the place the be come tournament time--

you know , you got to get yo popcorn ready!! :thumb:

Just for the record, Elizabethton hasn't lost since November. Regardless, I wasn't surprised they dropped down since I expected OC to move up. However, I was surprised that OC jumped all the way to #1 and that GC dropped to #3. I thought GC would retain the top spot or, if not, that McMinn Central would move up. I expected OC to be #3 or possibly be #2. It was certainly impressive for OC to go to GC and win, but GC has already defeated OC earlier plus OC has a couple other losses on their resume (to teams that GC beat). However, it appears that logic rarely plays into these rankings. No matter - the AP rankings are mainly for giggles and grins anyways. The real season starts with the district tournaments in a couple of weeks. After the initial district seedings, everyone is 0-0 at that point. Good luck to everyone. As for me, I will be rooting for the Lady Cyclones...