MBA-Ensworth

Manzikert

I didn't see the game, but read in the paper that Ensworth won a close one over MBA last night 71-68. I was talking with an Ensworth mom who was at the game and she told me, in fairly hysterical terms, about a couple of incidents that led to two MBA players being ejected from the game, including Brad Bars (who is a big kid, Penn State football signee) "picking up an Ensworth player and body slamming him to the court, giving him a concussion , and he (the Ensworth kid) may not be able to play for the rest of the season". Frankly, that sounds like an unbelievable story to me, and this woman, while nice, really knows nothing about basketball and can be prone to "over enthusiastic" story telling. So--- can anybody else who was at the game shed any light on the accuracy of what I was told? If anything close to what she described actually happened, I would be astonished and it would amount to by far the most unsportsmanlike act I've ever heard associated with MBA (and I've been watching MBA athletic contests for nearly 50 years) --- about as far from "Gentleman Scholar Athlete" as it could be. I know that being ejected from a game means you can't play in the next one or two games, I don't remember which, but I'd be very disappointed --- again, if the story I heard is true, if Kevin Anglin didn't kick Brad Bars off the team for the rest of the season. There is simply no excuse for anyone doing what was descibed to me--- frankly, if it's true, Joe Paterno ought to think about whether he's just signed a major head case/discipline risk. I hope it's not true and that my friend just got carried away with her story telling--- I hope someone who was there will respond and give a realistic account of what really went down.

I was there and saw it. Yes it was a hard foul. It happened on a breakaway layup attempt, Bars collided with the Ensworth player and took him to the ground. It was correctly called an intentional foul with the Ensworth player shooting two foul shots and possession of the ball. Whether or not Bars should have been ejected is debatable.Hard fouls are part of the game....they happen at every level(watch Sportscenter). This was an extremely hard fought and emotional basketball game as it seems all MBA-EHS sporting events have become. It also appears that the drama of EHS closely follow each of these athletic events. Last year the MBA students were too mean..this year the players were too rough. Anyway it was a great high school game played in a great environment. Congrats to Ensworth on their victory!!

It was pretty bad, Bars knew what he was doing. The correct calls were made, William Gittens, the player fouled may have a mild concussion but that's it. It was uncalled for but it happens, the worst thing that we can do is whine about it and make it into a bigger issue than it really is. Bars lost control of himself, it wasn't Anglin's fault. Bars is just the guy that goes 110% every minute but he needs to learn to hold back a bit.

Colbert had a hard foul late in the game that was called intentional, there wasn't any malice but he didn't make an effort to go for the ball. That's something Coach Anglin should of told his team in a timeout.

MBA has not been able to silence Ensworth's bigs, Connor McDermott and Daniel McFadden. MBA relied heavily on perimeter shooting which isn't consistent to the point where they can beat a team like Ensworth by jacking up threes.

Responses to this emotional fan who made these outrageous (and downright inaccurate claims) . . . . well done! This is a great rivalry in sports and it's up to both sides to keep it that way! At half time, the student bodies were both having great fun together in the middle of the court and the game was played hard and with great intensity. I challenge anyone to find better basketball played in Middle Tennessee in these last 2 MBA-EHS games. Please enjoy . . . EVERYONE!

I didn't see the game, but read in the paper that Ensworth won a close one over MBA last night 71-68. I was talking with an Ensworth mom who was at the game and she told me, in fairly hysterical terms, about a couple of incidents that led to two MBA players being ejected from the game, including Brad Bars (who is a big kid, Penn State football signee) "picking up an Ensworth player and body slamming him to the court, giving him a concussion , and he (the Ensworth kid) may not be able to play for the rest of the season". Frankly, that sounds like an unbelievable story to me, and this woman, while nice, really knows nothing about basketball and can be prone to "over enthusiastic" story telling. So--- can anybody else who was at the game shed any light on the accuracy of what I was told? If anything close to what she described actually happened, I would be astonished and it would amount to by far the most unsportsmanlike act I've ever heard associated with MBA (and I've been watching MBA athletic contests for nearly 50 years) --- about as far from "Gentleman Scholar Athlete" as it could be. I know that being ejected from a game means you can't play in the next one or two games, I don't remember which, but I'd be very disappointed --- again, if the story I heard is true, if Kevin Anglin didn't kick Brad Bars off the team for the rest of the season. There is simply no excuse for anyone doing what was descibed to me--- frankly, if it's true, Joe Paterno ought to think about whether he's just signed a major head case/discipline risk. I hope it's not true and that my friend just got carried away with her story telling--- I hope someone who was there will respond and give a realistic account of what really went down.

10 cent advice, Manzikert...Confirm facts before writing a long hysterical post--with judge, jury, and executioner roles covered-- based on an account of events given to you by a crazed soccer mom at Starbucks.

So your telling me there is a mom at private school who gets all worked up about something she has no real knowledge of and might not have seen first hand........get out of town!

hahaha..... I love this, it is so true. Actually, delete one word, and it applies to most schools in middle Tennessee. Twin, if it would be alright, i may use this quote on another school's thread somewhere down the line.