Jefferson County Football 2010

JCSP20

Therealjuice, do you know how long it takes to actually rebuild a program from the ground up? Tradition is a great thing but tradition wont win ball games after a program is disamated like Jefferson county's was after euverard (sp?). It just takes time. Stability is what is required to bring brack a program. If the coach is fired than stability is completely lost and all progress is negated. As I have said so many times before, this is the year to judge.

Euverard was not the problem. Euverard had a fine system that had won him a state championship before arriving at Jefferson county. Granted he had a lot of talent on that team, but he still knew what to do with it. By your post you make it sound like he drove this program into the ground. In all honesty, I believe that he had the right intentions coming to Jefferson County, but some of the players didn't buy into what he had for them. I have heard from some of his former players that he communicated with them before each season started and asked each player "What their goals for themselves were, and for the team." That to me shows dedication to your players and football team. Does this mean i agree with everything Euverard did? No. Seemed to me his players were not used to his tough style of coaching. We need more of that get in your face attitude with our coaches these days.

Jccountryboy, with a "fine" system you dont go down to 20-30 kids on the sideline of a school that is one of the top 5 largest schools in the state of TN. If you subtract the players who signed the petition against him as a head coach then it brings you to around 10 players. It is absurd that you would side with a coach that only 10 players on the team believed in. Where there is a smoke, my friend, there is a fire. I guess you missed the black cloud 5 years ago.

While both posters made and could continue to expound on the Facts regarding that "former" Head Coach,I for one would like to leave that painful time buried in the past. Linemanpat can uyou tell us about any current 40 times or other accomplishments made in the weight room?I saw a big freshman lineman today at the Center ripping out some 225lb bench reps!Oh and I think we are the second largest school in the state,if anyone is counting.

Well it is my understanding that Goins tore it up at a Nike Combine. I believe he ran a 4.51 lazer timed 40 and over all blew away the compitition. I am not sure of exact numbers but it I do know that Stooksberry, Winstead, Bradly, Esparza (an upcoming sophmore!), and a few others are really tearing up the weight room this year.

One note, however, one of the teams strongest players, Kountz, has been recovering from a torn labrum so there will be no strength numbers for him until he is cleared to lift.

Well it is my understanding that Goins tore it up at a Nike Combine. I believe he ran a 4.51 lazer timed 40 and over all blew away the compitition. I am not sure of exact numbers but it I do know that Stooksberry, Winstead, Bradly, Esparza (an upcoming sophmore!), and a few others are really tearing up the weight room this year.

One note, however, one of the teams strongest players, Kountz, has been recovering from a torn labrum so there will be no strength numbers for him until he is cleared to lift.

I also know that many of the players are not taking a "break" during spring break, but are lifting/working out at the center or at D1 in Knoxville or both.

Great job, keep up the hard work team.

Keep pushing each other and the encouraging the weaker players to push harder.

You may find a diamond in the rough.

The hard work will pay off.

Hopefully Kountz can get into the weight room soon. He is going to be one of the big keys to the team this year, even if he has had a rough past.

He should be able to lift again in the the coming weeks. Other than him, Jenkins is the only one still recovering from an injury sustained last year. His is also a torn labrum but it was torn a little worse than Kountz's so his recovery is a little longer.

Other than that and the strength numbers, there seems to be little going on with the football program which is exactly how you want it. If your working hard in the weight room than few people notice but if you are making mistakes outside of the football fieldhouse than every one knows it.

My sources have given me some pretty accurate facts about the testing that went on the week before spring break. As far as the Bench Press Max, the top few guys were: 315- Goins, and Winstead. 300- Stooksburry. 295- Cain and 280- Bradley. 40 times (stop watches) have improved dramatically. Goins and Hopkins were in the 4.4's. Mcfall and Turner in the 4.5's. Cain and Trower in the 4.6's, and many others were in the range of 4.7's-4.9's. Stooksbury squated 275 pounds 21 times to lead the team. These are just a few stats that i was told. I can see that many have improved a great deal! Im excited to see what next season holds!! GO PATRIOTS!

I think the coaches have a quick watch. From what I hear. Outside sources have Goins anywhere from 4.57 to 4.6. D1 and Combines. Lets make no mistake about it. Hes fast but not world class. If so he better move to track.. Nothing like inside sources to take a few tenths off the old forty times.. Last fall he was closer to 4.6 to 4.7 at the combine!! This has been going on for years but lets get close at least. 4.41 is Deon Sanders speed. This is why most athletes show up an lose 2 tenths when timed by college coaches or laser watches!!!!

Hopefully i get to get up there this year and watch this team play... But your alls expectations seem a little high. We have heard all over east tennessee howd gosh darn good the upcoming senior class is... and we have all just been so gosh darn un impressed with them since they moved up to varsity ball. This class will once and for all prove they have been nothing but talk. This team is undersized and lacks knowledge of the game, well on the offensive side atleast. I just dont see it happening for this team. Im sorry, i really try to but i cant. Everyone knows how to stop you all. Put 8 in the box and send them all. 90 percent of the time your going to be successfull doing that against ur run priority offfense. And as for last years Qb throwing for over 1000 yards. HAHA. There have been qbs at that HS do way better than that. and throw for way more TD's as well. Zach long has been the best qb the last three years, whoever said you put your best athlete at qb, you wrong. Name one team, other than jeff, who had there playmaker at qb. Thats right there were none. Devrin Young for example, does bearden have him at qb? nope. he is distrubuted the ball by the... Oh my goodness thats right the QB. Actually if you watch them play he lines up slot back alot and they do all kinds of things with him. Hmmm i wonder why? Its because Qb's are not meant to be every down playmakers, they are the point guard of football, they distribute and lead... A QB is THE FIELD GENERAL. Now in battle is the General the one you would expect to be firing the bullets and carrying out the operation? No he is directing his troops. A General isnt the best fighter, isnt the most skilled, but he makes quick smart decisions, he is inteligent, calm, cool, collective, and when his men are in trouble he gets them out of trouble. The best are out there in the battle and being directed by their general. Well this is the same just in football and this team needs a General. Someone who is calm, cool, collected, a quick and smart thinker, not the most talented player but one who is most capable of getting the athletes (your best troops) the ball. The troops go as their general goes. So as a team goes as their Qb goes. A team feeds off a Qb whether positive or negative. JCHS will be as good as their General this year. But just remember the commander and cheif appoints his General, and if he dont appoint the right one the results will show. Zach Long has been the closest to a General compared to the last 3 (Mcfall, Darby, Goins) Zach wasnt our playmaker, h we actually had our playmakers at wr and rb and te that year and he distributed the ball and it showed. 6-4 made the playoffs.

EastTNfootball, Im sure your not a big nfl fan so I guess you missed the whole wildcat thing that started in miami with Ronnie Brown and now has hit every team in the NFL. If you didn't know which given your last post I assume you didn't. The wildcat formation is a variation of a single wing offense in which the BEST offensive athlete is put at QB. Try telling Miami that having the best athlete at QB won't work :thumb: If you want a high school example than did Tee howell not take snaps at QB for East?

Now to adress the rest of your idiotic post, I find it quite fascinating that you are comparing a mostly senior squad quarterbacked by Zach Long to down a mostly junior team piloted by Anthony Goins. Its also amazing that you believe 6-4 is SOOO much better than 5-5. I think this group of upcoming seniors will easily meet the 6-4 mark. Than what will you say? "Well...ummm...zach long was still a better QB"

If you just give these kids a chance to grow up like most do over their junior to senior year than I think they will be alright. Its people like you who just enjoy ripping a group that came in with hype. The reason they had hype was they won. Its still more than most others can say.

Also, most generals are troops who have been promoted due to excellent performance. I just thought I'd let you know on that too.

I think the coaches have a quick watch. From what I hear. Outside sources have Goins anywhere from 4.57 to 4.6. D1 and Combines. Lets make no mistake about it. Hes fast but not world class. If so he better move to track.. Nothing like inside sources to take a few tenths off the old forty times.. Last fall he was closer to 4.6 to 4.7 at the combine!! This has been going on for years but lets get close at least. 4.41 is Deon Sanders speed. This is why most athletes show up an lose 2 tenths when timed by college coaches or laser watches!!!!

Anthony does run track and he has done quite well with it. I believe he has competed at state every year. If you go on espnrise and type "charles goins" than a video will pop up of him and he actually says his 40 time of around 4.5 that was lazer timed at a nike SPARQ camp (I realize this information was posted in another thread but it is relavent information here too). The conclusion I have come too is the difference is speed and acceleration. Some people are just fast and have a good top speed, Deon Sanders could get up to speed insanley fast which is what equals speed in pads. Before you say "well Goins isnt quick then," he also had a pretty stout pro-agility time too.