angry in region 7

cmmndalum

I can agree... I was at the Region trny on friday night and there were some calls I had to scratch my head about.

Can someone correct me on this but I had a wrestler hit for stalling in KY Region 1 match for being "too defensive" even though he was scoring points... The ref said if wrestler A shots (legitimate shots) 3 times and wrestler B stuffs it 3 times then he will be hit for stalling for not being offensive even though he was scoring on a front head lock.. I am writing this on a TN Message Board as well because I have seen this happen twice this season both in KY and TN.. Will a ref email me to clarify this please before I argue this matter at state.

my email is: anthony.shingler@gmail.com

Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last PD that rigger is referring too was NOT a PD it was in fact an ILLEGAL move. A wrestler cannot be mat returned from behind to the side of a trapped arm. It is illegal and should be stopped before it happens the first time and DEFINATLY THE SECOND TIME. This was the situation in the 130 conso semi match. The wrestler was mat returned to the side of a trapped arm twice in a five second span the first knocked him silly and the second knocked him clean out. He was wheeled out on a stretcher and backboard after this. A wrestler injury defaulting on an ILLEGAL move? Sounds like a wrestlers chances of going to state where wheeled out with him and the handbook.

Is the H'ville kid ok? I didn't see what happened, but I hate to see any kid get hurt. Hope he's alright!

The last PD that rigger is referring too was NOT a PD it was in fact an ILLEGAL move. A wrestler cannot be mat returned from behind to the side of a trapped arm. It is illegal and should be stopped before it happens the first time and DEFINATLY THE SECOND TIME. This was the situation in the 130 conso semi match. The wrestler was mat returned to the side of a trapped arm twice in a five second span the first knocked him silly and the second knocked him clean out. He was wheeled out on a stretcher and backboard after this. A wrestler injury defaulting on an ILLEGAL move? Sounds like a wrestlers chances of going to state where wheeled out with him and the handbook.

The Harpeth wrestler had far wrist and was working an arm bar. Nothing what so ever illegal about the move. I am sorry the kid was hurt but don't tell me that it was illegal. It was hard wrestling. Period.

as much negative we will put on this board, including myself, I thought it appropriate to say kudos to those 5 officiating Region five. Confidence, Decisiveness, Knowledge, Consistency, Care, Communication, Safty were unmatched by any team I have witnessed in some time. Jim McCoo may have called his best tournament i've seen him call in the 10 years I've known him. barry Clark and Dav id Hodges as well as Kyle (?) were as steady as you can ask for. Paul (?) a former Whitescreek wrestler with Norfleet in 90's and this black haired fella (mid 50's)that came up here from Florida some five years ago were a class act and nearly flawless from what I saw. And they usually know when I question something :roflol: (not a in the face thing and certainly never on this board).

With specific names and others working so hard for our boys being mentioned in a negative light elsewhere, I thought this was more than warranted.

BTW - the entire tournament was outstanding. Great job to Bray, Lester and their support team!

Soms

I agree! They allowed wrestling, and they watched out for the kids safety.

Only problem I noticed was with the clock. It was not up to "Regional"

standards. I don't think it caused a problem with the wrestlers, but the

refs had to make adjustments.

as much negative we will put on this board, including myself, I thought it appropriate to say kudos to those 5 officiating Region five. Confidence, Decisiveness, Knowledge, Consistency, Care, Communication, Safty were unmatched by any team I have witnessed in some time. Jim McCoo may have called his best tournament i've seen him call in the 10 years I've known him. barry Clark and Dav id Hodges as well as Kyle (?) were as steady as you can ask for. Paul (?) a former Whitescreek wrestler with Norfleet in 90's and this black haired fella (mid 50's)that came up here from Florida some five years ago were a class act and nearly flawless from what I saw. And they usually know when I question something :roflol: (not a in the face thing and certainly never on this board).

With specific names and others working so hard for our boys being mentioned in a negative light elsewhere, I thought this was more than warranted.

BTW - the entire tournament was outstanding. Great job to Bray, Lester and their support team!

Soms

Second seeded wrestlers having matches while seventh seeds have byes. That is not how you run a wrestling tournament.

Actually, it is, according to the NFHS book--byes are random unless all agree to do otherwise. (Remember, in team scoring, a bye can be a disadvantage, because the wrestler with a bye can only score a regular decision's worth of points.)

Is the H'ville kid ok? I didn't see what happened, but I hate to see any kid get hurt. Hope he's alright!

The H'ville kid is ok. He has a concussion so he can't wrestle for two weeks. No other injury as a result of the match with the Harpeth boy. He and his family are disappointed but understand that these things happen. He'll be back next year.

Second seeded wrestlers having matches while seventh seeds have byes. That is not how you run a wrestling tournament.

Actually, it is, according to the NFHS book--byes are random unless all agree to do otherwise. (Remember, in team scoring, a bye can be a disadvantage, because the wrestler with a bye can only score a regular decision's worth of points.)

Glad someone else got on here to post this. I read this thread over the weekend but didn't have time to post.

If you are in a tight team race you want all of the first round matches your team can get because those are opportunities you have to score bonus points. Especially if you have a top seeded wrestler (say second as the example stated) you want them to have matches as their likelihood for bonus is very high early in a tournament.

I have been to many a tournament where we knew a tight team race was imminent (say the DII individuals this upcoming weekend) where we are hoping for as few byes as possible.

The only way to keep team scoring fair in an individual tournament is to randomly assign the byes... if you are going to complain about that then you need to look at it from all sides of the argument.

Glad someone else got on here to post this. I read this thread over the weekend but didn't have time to post.

If you are in a tight team race you want all of the first round matches your team can get because those are opportunities you have to score bonus points. Especially if you have a top seeded wrestler (say second as the example stated) you want them to have matches as their likelihood for bonus is very high early in a tournament.

I have been to many a tournament where we knew a tight team race was imminent (say the DII individuals this upcoming weekend) where we are hoping for as few byes as possible.

The only way to keep team scoring fair in an individual tournament is to randomly assign the byes... if you are going to complain about that then you need to look at it from all sides of the argument.

I will agree that byes can hurt a team in a team race. But, isnt the goal at regionals to advance as many kids to the state tournament? I would be willing to bet that most coaches would rather advance an extra couple of guys than win a region title. Take your byes at the region tournament and be happy with it.

I would say there are other ways to have a fair team race even if byes are automatically granted to the top seeds, but they require a tweak to the team scoring. Illinois has my favorite (the bye counts as the same kind of win that follows it, so the bonus as well as the advancement get doubled), and New Mexico has another (in any round with a bye, no one gets bonus points).

So to expand on ghouse's statement, "The only way to keep team scoring fair in an individual tournament with by-the-book team scoring is to randomly assign the byes." (bold words are my addition)

Since we have gotten off the topic at which this thread first started I thought I would bring it back to focus.

The Refs at the tournament were absolutely horrible!! I have been with this sport for 30+ years and the championship round of this tournament was beyond horrible!!

Someone is going to come on here and tell me that since this is my first post I should shut up and not complain about the refs. Forget you! I have the right to speak my mind!!!

Someone is going to come on here and defend the refs. Forget you! This is why these refs have gotten the attitude of "BEING GOD"

Refs have to be accountable for their actions and if we do not have a place to voice our concerns then they will become gods in their own mind and at matches. They are not gods but yet mediators to the matches and rules.

I was at the matches and I did see how they determined the outcome of several of the championship matches by their calls. I also got to see first-hand at their arrogance at which they treated not only the coaches but also the parents of the wrestlers. I talked to several of the coaches and heard first-hand from them of how they over heard the refs "laughing at how stupid the coaches were acting."

It is not like people can complain and really honestly be heard and it would not matter since one of the people who was overheard making fun of the coaches was P.A. Bowler himself. If he was acting the way some of the coaches were talking about then how can there be any change??