D2 Brackets Question?

PUMMELKING

Ok Pummelking, your right......the potential D-II state champs this year might as well not even show up to Frank town this weekend, because their championship simply won't matter. But anyone that knows anyhting about TN wrestling know that the top 3 or 4 in each division are about the same caliber.

Great Thread Pummelking :thumb:

I never said it did not matter, just that D2 state champion has a much easier road to follow without regionals and not a full wgt. class except for two and only being 16 man bracket.

State Champ is State Champ, I'd rather see A, AA, AAA so on, as compaired to D1 D2.

Pummelking, you are right about DII being easier to win. I made a request to my sons coach to move into DII because it is easier to win a state than DI. I can't figure out why more schools don't do this.

Because according to the DI Gestapo on this board, all DII teams must surely spew out athletic sholarships and financial aid to every wrestler on the roster in addition to recruiting them from far away places. They also claim it is simply not possible that these wrestlers come from feeder programs that are affiliated with the mentioned schools and there is no way they have been brought up in private schools their whole lives. If your team meets this criteria then DII will be more than happy to have you.

You should also reread some previous posts on this thread which show that it is, in fact, not easier to win state in The DII than in the other division. It varies with each weight class. For example, no one in the DII or DI could beat Croy or Allen of Mt J, however the same can be said for a healthy Zach Watson or Cole Hayes against DI.

Just because one division may have the advantage in quantity, certainly does not mean they have an advantage in quality.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Pummelking, your right......the potential D-II state champs this year might as well not even show up to Frank town this weekend, because their championship simply won't matter. But anyone that knows anyhting about TN wrestling know that the top 3 or 4 in each division are about the same caliber.

Great Thread Pummelking :thumb:

I never said it did not matter, just that D2 state champion has a much easier road to follow without regionals and not a full wgt. class except for two and only being 16 man bracket.

State Champ is State Champ, I'd rather see A, AA, AAA so on, as compaired to D1 D2.

Pummelking, you are right about DII being easier to win. I made a request to my sons coach to move into DII because it is easier to win a state than DI. I can't figure out why more schools don't do this.

Pummelking/Dragonfly, What a joke!!! Are you kidding??? Why is it that 4 of the top 5 teams in this State are D2?. Its because D2 is tougher to win. Granted that you might be able to get 4th-6th place (depending on the weight class) easier in D2, but the top 3 steps are the same or more difficult to obtain. We do this analysis every year...champions against champions and it usually is D2 that wins (not always, but usually). Take it to the next level, who succeeds? D2 in a landslide. Why, because the best wrestlers (Leen, Marable, Simpson all recent either NCAA Champs, Finalists or mulitple time NCAA all americans), the top dogs, the guys that take it to the next level are almost always D2. If our state gets any publicity for its wrestling, its mostly for what the D2 guys have accomplished outside of the state and in the NCAA's. Take a great look at all those guys standing on the top step of D2 this weekend, you are much more likely to see them wearing an NCAA D1 uniform at the big show in the near future. Quit knocking it and be thankful that D2 is around to raise our image!

You should also reread some previous posts on this thread which show that it is, in fact, not easier to win state in The DII than in the other division. It varies with each weight class. For example, no one in the DII or DI could beat Croy or Allen of Mt J, however the same can be said for a healthy Zach Watson or Cole Hayes against DI.

Not sure I would throw Hayes in that mix, but only because of his issues with staying healthy, we haven't seen a healthy Hayes in a while, but in December he was healthy and Johnson beat him, so I'm not sure I would add him to this list (not trying to belittle his accomplishments, but when you mention the other 3, you have to give them their due). Also, you have to add Baucke in this list. He beat the #1 ranked D1 kid this year 10-0. That wasn't just a fluke, it was totally in his control the entire match.

Would love to see a match between Duncan and Aguilar. Would pay for that one.

smwwrest,

Pummelking/Dragonfly, What a joke!!! Are you kidding??? Why is it that 4 of the top 5 teams in this State are D2?. Its because D2 is tougher to win. Granted that you might be able to get 4th-6th place (depending on the weight class) easier in D2, but the top 3 steps are the same or more difficult to obtain. We do this analysis every year...champions against champions and it usually is D2 that wins (not always, but usually). Take it to the next level, who succeeds? D2 in a landslide. Why, because the best wrestlers (Leen, Marable, Simpson all recent either NCAA Champs, Finalists or mulitple time NCAA all americans), the top dogs, the guys that take it to the next level are almost always D2. If our state gets any publicity for its wrestling, its mostly for what the D2 guys have accomplished outside of the state and in the NCAA's. Take a great look at all those guys standing on the top step of D2 this weekend, you are much more likely to see them wearing an NCAA D1 uniform at the big show in the near future. Quit knocking it and be thankful that D2 is around to raise our image!

D2 does not make you a better wrestler or have the opportunity to become great college wrestler. D2 does mean that your parents have alot of $$$$$$$$$$$. Seriously there have been sum great wrestlers from D2 and D1.

It is not how there teams are ranked in top of anything, those are just done by others opponion. Besides all rankings are out the door because, now it is INDIVIDUAL tourny. So you can be from worst school in state and take home an individual title. Having to go thru regionals does make it tuffer, any given day and wrestler can lose!!!!

Not sure I would throw Hayes in that mix, but only because of his issues with staying healthy, we haven't seen a healthy Hayes in a while, but in December he was healthy and Johnson beat him, so I'm not sure I would add him to this list (not trying to belittle his accomplishments, but when you mention the other 3, you have to give them their due). Also, you have to add Baucke in this list. He beat the #1 ranked D1 kid this year 10-0. That wasn't just a fluke, it was totally in his control the entire match.

You guys make my point. There are very few guys in DII who are top notch. I don't see why you think Duncan and Aguilar would be a good match. While we were competing in the duals 2 weeks ago, we saw Duncan lose his match. Is there anyone on the DII side who can go with Aguilar?

smwwrest,

D2 does not make you a better wrestler or have the opportunity to become great college wrestler. D2 does mean that your parents have alot of $$$$$$$$$$$. Seriously there have been sum great wrestlers from D2 and D1.

It is not how there teams are ranked in top of anything, those are just done by others opponion. Besides all rankings are out the door because, now it is INDIVIDUAL tourny. So you can be from worst school in state and take home an individual title. Having to go thru regionals does make it tuffer, any given day and wrestler can lose!!!!

ok, first please learn to use the quotes, when quoteing something that someone else wrote. Make is a lot easier to follow along

I'm gonna only paritally agree with you on the regionals. Only in some does the regionals make it any tougher. And there isn't one region in particular that makes it any tougher. There are some tough weight classes in all regions, but then again, there are some that aren't even close. Where the #2 guy won't even come close to placing. So to say that having to wrestle regions makes it tougher does not hold true in all cases. In some yes, but not all that many if you look at them in a whole.

Difference though. In D2, you have to wrestle well all year long as opposed to one extra weekend. In D2, because of the seeding, if you fail a couple times, you will be on the wrong side of the bracket, and it will greatly determine how and where you may finish.

You guys make my point. There are very few guys in DII who are top notch. I don't see why you think Duncan and Aguilar would be a good match. While we were competing in the duals 2 weeks ago, we saw Duncan lose his match. Is there anyone on the DII side who can go with Aguilar?

First, if you are paying attention to the list that has been mentioned, there are as many, if not more, names of D2 wrestlers. Next, to bring up points from smwrest, there are more (a lot more) D2 kids that go on to suceed at the next level. Not saying anything of why that is, but it just is.

And lastly. If you weren't watching. Duncan wrestled UP, and still gave a bigger and stronger wrestler a pretty darn good match. If you don't think that Duncan can hold his own with Aguilar, then I say you are strongly mistaken.

smwwrest,

ok, first please learn to use the quotes, when quoteing something that someone else wrote. Make is a lot easier to follow along

I'm gonna only paritally agree with you on the regionals. Only in some does the regionals make it any tougher. And there isn't one region in particular that makes it any tougher. There are some tough weight classes in all regions, but then again, there are some that aren't even close. Where the #2 guy won't even come close to placing. So to say that having to wrestle regions makes it tougher does not hold true in all cases. In some yes, but not all that many if you look at them in a whole.

Difference though. In D2, you have to wrestle well all year long as opposed to one extra weekend. In D2, because of the seeding, if you fail a couple times, you will be on the wrong side of the bracket, and it will greatly determine how and where you may finish.

All wrestlers must wreslt all year long, not just a weekend. Besides you have to manage wgt with regionals and yes #2 wrestlers are good enough to place and win state. Another thing, you have to win your region and placed the previous year to even be seated/seperated in a 32 man roster.

Another thing, you have to win your region and placed the previous year to even be seated/seperated in a 32 man roster.

right, it's basically 2 criteria for seeding, where in D2 is it's head to head, and common opponents that come into play. So in D1, if you wrestled well the previous year's tournament, and won this year's regionals, that is what counts.

NOW, I will say this. In D2, it's easier for a new kid to get a seed, because head to head takes a higher precedence. But, that is what should count. This YEAR! Not this past weekend.

There are some great wrestlers in DII, but I think you undersell the number. You saw Duncan drop a close match to Daniel Todd, that is likely the best 160 lb (next weight class up) in the state. Having seen Aguilar (coached against him this summer), I would say that he is more physical than Duncan, but TJ is a much more skilled wrestler. Nothing meant to devalue either of these guys--would love to coach either, anytime!

Todd or TJ against Aguilar would be a great match. TJ had a good match a few weeks ago with a nationally ranked wrestler (ranked #7) in Jason Luster at 152 lbs. Can you give me similar results with a nationally ranked guy for Aguilar? Why do you think Aguilar would beat TJ?