D2 Brackets Question?

PUMMELKING

smwwrest,

D2 does not make you a better wrestler or have the opportunity to become great college wrestler. D2 does mean that your parents have alot of $$$$$$$$$$$. Seriously there have been sum great wrestlers from D2 and D1.

It is not how there teams are ranked in top of anything, those are just done by others opponion. Besides all rankings are out the door because, now it is INDIVIDUAL tourny. So you can be from worst school in state and take home an individual title. Having to go thru regionals does make it tuffer, any given day and wrestler can lose!!!!

ok, first please learn to use the quotes, when quoteing something that someone else wrote. Make is a lot easier to follow along

I'm gonna only paritally agree with you on the regionals. Only in some does the regionals make it any tougher. And there isn't one region in particular that makes it any tougher. There are some tough weight classes in all regions, but then again, there are some that aren't even close. Where the #2 guy won't even come close to placing. So to say that having to wrestle regions makes it tougher does not hold true in all cases. In some yes, but not all that many if you look at them in a whole.

Difference though. In D2, you have to wrestle well all year long as opposed to one extra weekend. In D2, because of the seeding, if you fail a couple times, you will be on the wrong side of the bracket, and it will greatly determine how and where you may finish.

All wrestlers must wreslt all year long, not just a weekend. Besides you have to manage wgt with regionals and yes #2 wrestlers are good enough to place and win state. Another thing, you have to win your region and placed the previous year to even be seated/seperated in a 32 man roster.

Don't forget you started this argument...I don't like bashing any division, but feel compelled to set the record straight (facts are facts).

Very few of the D1 regions are great...great example, our second and third string D2 135 lbs wrestlers met in the finals of our local preseason tournament that included almost all of the D1 teams. Our local region D1 team champ lost by 50-60 points (placed 4th in the D1 state) to the top D2 school in the area. Unfortunately, there are way too many weak D1 regions to be too impressed with having to qualify for State.

I love wrestling in general whether D1 or D2. Quit trying to devalue one division or the other. We two divisions (like it or not)...let's just celebrate what these wrestlers accomplish, either Division!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some great wrestlers in DII, but I think you undersell the number. You saw Duncan drop a close match to Daniel Todd, that is likely the best 160 lb (next weight class up) in the state. Having seen Aguilar (coached against him this summer), I would say that he is more physical than Duncan, but TJ is a much more skilled wrestler. Nothing meant to devalue either of these guys--would love to coach either, anytime!

Todd or TJ against Aguilar would be a great match. TJ had a good match a few weeks ago with a nationally ranked wrestler (ranked #7) in Jason Luster at 152 lbs. Can you give me similar results with a nationally ranked guy for Aguilar? Why do you think Aguilar would beat TJ?

When was this match and what was the final score (and if you could, could you give a synopsis of the match)? Thanks

Dragon Fly, not trying to bash or anything like that, but I find it funny that you are now saying that it's easier to win at the D2 level, when just a year ago you said (and I quote)

It makes me mad as heck that DI kids can't perform on the college level like the boys in DII. I just want to know why this is.

Dragon Fly, not trying to bash or anything like that, but I find it funny that you are now saying that it's easier to win at the D2 level, when just a year ago you said (and I quote)

It makes me mad as heck that DI kids can't perform on the college level like the boys in DII. I just want to know why this is.

:thumb:

my opinion has changed. It is a lot harder to win in the DI tourn than in the DII tourn.

Why not stop the crying about D1 or D2. Start a rally to put the two divisions back together (like it should be for individual sports) and let the Big Dogs Eat! If the two divisions were combined only the true animals would win state titles not some little lap dog.

I agree 110%,,,its the total,,and only real solution.

CC

So your telling me it is justified to win one match at state and place????? At 112 with only 9 entries a wrestler only has to win one match and can place 6th Medal at the State Tournament.

Apparently, that's the way it has ended up--just to refresh everyone's memory, it wasn't as though the D-II schools voted to start their own division. They were summarily booted out. And I know the response will be that they can get back in by doing away with finacial aid, but that's an unrealstic and short sighted view.

Apparently it works in other states... Separate divisions based upon school size. So then why would it matter if the schools in TN were separated based upon scholarship? In the end, does it really matter? Most of us are past our wrestling prime and are following the sport because of love or blood... A state champ is a state champ!

So your telling me it is justified to win one match at state and place????? At 112 with only 9 entries a wrestler only has to win one match and can place 6th Medal at the State Tournament.

We can easily solve this problem. Let's have one tournament. If you want to criticize the fact that there is a DII tournament, I'm there with you. I have a tough time with criticism of the tournament itself because it is the DI schools that created the DII tournament in the first place. The DII schools will be happy to go back to a single championship.