District 14 A Championship

Monday night at Trenton Peabody High School.....7:30 PM

Monday night is the annual installment of the UC-Humboldt tournament rivalry....These two 1A powerhouses have to play each other twice a year anyway but this game will mark the 7th time they have met in district or regional tournament play....Humboldt holds the advantage during tournament action at 4-2....Actually, Humboldt is the only team in 1A in the entire state of Tennessee that doesn't have a losing record vs the Tornadoes since UC dropped down from 2A ball in 2005-2006...They have played each other 16 times and the record is 8-8 with Humboldt winning 4 of the last 5 meetings...

Both teams come into the championship game by winning razor close games in the district semi-finals....Union City got a three-pointer at the buzzer in overtime to defeat upset-minded and 5th seeded Trenton Peabody 69-66....Humboldt held on late to defeat Lake County after the Falcons missed two free throws with about 2 seconds remaining in that game...

The two teams have split this season...Humboldt broke open a tight game in the last half of the 4th quarter in Humboldt to defeat Union City 68-56...Union City controlled most of their ballgame at home vs the Vikings but saw Humboldt rally late to take a lead...Union City had to hit two buzzer beaters, one at the end of regulation to send the game to OT and then another to win the game 68-67....

Union City will have to play great defense and keep from turning the ball over...With a team made up of mostly guard size players, the Tornadoes should be much better ball-handlers and free-throw shooters than they are....The most important factor will be keeping the much taller and much more physical Vikings off the boards..Humboldt has dominated the glass in both contests..I personally think UC has a decided edge in the coaching department...I also think that with what he has this season, Shane Sisco has done his best coaching job since coming to Union City...His teams have beaten a much more athletic Lake County team 2 out of 3 times this season and have split with Humboldt....

As for a prediction, I say it will be another classic between these two...I'm going to be a homer, surprise right, and say Union City 63-61...

Thoughts ???...Predictions ???

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Region bracket will look like this :

Games will be played Friday night

#4(13A)

@ #1(14A)

#3(14A) Trenton Peabody

@ #2(13A)

#4(14A) Lake County

@ #1(13A)

#3(13A)

@ #2(14A)

The winner of the championship game between Union City and Humboldt stays away from a possible do-or-die region semi match-up with Lake County and possibly West Carroll if their seeding holds out and they win their district tournament....

Monday night is the annual installment of the UC-Humboldt tournament rivalry....These two 1A powerhouses have to play each other twice a year anyway but this game will mark the 7th time they have met in district or regional tournament play....Humboldt holds the advantage during tournament action at 4-2....Actually, Humboldt is the only team in 1A in the entire state of Tennessee that doesn't have a losing record vs the Tornadoes since UC dropped down from 2A ball in 2005-2006...They have played each other 16 times and the record is 8-8 with Humboldt winning 4 of the last 5 meetings...

Both teams come into the championship game by winning razor close games in the district semi-finals....Union City got a three-pointer at the buzzer in overtime to defeat upset-minded and 5th seeded Trenton Peabody 69-66....Humboldt held on late to defeat Lake County after the Falcons missed two free throws with about 2 seconds remaining in that game...

The two teams have split this season...Humboldt broke open a tight game in the last half of the 4th quarter in Humboldt to defeat Union City 68-56...Union City controlled most of their ballgame at home vs the Vikings but saw Humboldt rally late to take a lead...Union City had to hit two buzzer beaters, one at the end of regulation to send the game to OT and then another to win the game 68-67....

Union City will have to play great defense and keep from turning the ball over...With a team made up of mostly guard size players, the Tornadoes should be much better ball-handlers and free-throw shooters than they are....The most important factor will be keeping the much taller and much more physical Vikings off the boards..Humboldt has dominated the glass in both contests..I personally think UC has a decided edge in the coaching department...I also think that with what he has this season, Shane Sisco has done his best coaching job since coming to Union City...His teams have beaten a much more athletic Lake County team 2 out of 3 times this season and have split with Humboldt....

As for a prediction, I say it will be another classic between these two...I'm going to be a homer, surprise right, and say Union City 63-61...

I will go out on a very shaky limb and say that my Falcons WILL make it to the state tournament this year just as they have for the last ten years.............are you confused.............you didn't know that the Falcons have made it to state the last ten years.............oh let me clear that up for you..........they won't be playing..........but they will be there............the legend is consistent..........no disputing that!

I agree with with one another classic matchup between two great bb schools! Let me say first whale of a job Peabody! Peabody is a team as a coach i wouldn't want to play right ! In order for UC to win this game is for them to shoot well from 3 point land. As UC usally does and try to get more rebounds as u said. Dunbar must stay out of foul trouble and put points up in the paint. He was a factor against LC on the boards when he was in! He sat down almost 12 minutes of the game. He must Monday night be a factor in the paint and put up more points! Campbell must also stay out of foul trouble for HBT to win. LC had a great chance to beat HBT with Dunbar on the bench the other night but didn't get it done! And their is nothing wrong with being a homer UC has great tradition and u should be proud of the Purple and Gold! ITs hard to pick this one but i am going with HBT by 8! HBT let the regular season District Championship slip away. I don't think they will let that happen going into Region play! Good luck to both squads!! :thumb:

I will go out on a very shaky limb and say that my Falcons WILL make it to the state tournament this year just as they have for the last ten years.............are you confused.............you didn't know that the Falcons have made it to state the last ten years.............oh let me clear that up for you..........they won't be playing..........but they will be there............the legend is consistent..........no disputing that!

So our Falcons are going to be there?Ten years in a row..That's awesome.Didn't realize that..Well..one thing is certain.Coach had better not fool around and start his best players or he's liable to break that streak...It's all up to the players now.Patrick needs to stay down low.Cody Taylor and Patrick need to stay down low on defense so teams can't get easy layups.It all depends if they want to play team ball.The talent is on the floor.!

speller....

You know that Whitby has concocted some sort of equation that will prove coming in 4th in the tournament will be beneficial to his team during the regional tournament.... :thumb:

Whitby has me sold on that equation.Good luck to Humboldt and Union City.!Should be a good game..I'm going with Humboldt by 5 !

If your prediction comes true that will mean that would set up the possibility of a Union City/Lake County "Loser Leave Town" match.... :thumb:

speller....

You know that Whitby has concocted some sort of equation that will prove coming in 4th in the tournament will be beneficial to his team during the regional tournament.... :lol:

Whitby has me sold on that equation.Good luck to Humboldt and Union City.!Should be a good game..I'm going with Humboldt by 5 !

If your prediction comes true that will mean that would set up the possibility of a Union City/Lake County "Loser Leave Town" match.... :thumb:

Well..if Lake Co beats Big Sandy or West Carrol..the Falcons were going to have to play a good team either way..Union City or Humboldt..pick which poison they'd prefer..a taller team or a smaller team with some sharp shooters.Maybe if that's the case..a loser leave town..have something like some of the old Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee matches..They were always putting up something..hair..loser leave town..even Dundee's wife had her head shaved..Maybe we could have the losing coach leave town or swap teams.I'm sure speller would go for that..probably would even like Lake Co to lose..lol..!