District 14 A Championship

Humboldt is in the same talent cycle Union City was in prior to this season and last....There is NO reason Humboldt shouldn't win a state title soon..NONE...

A very good middle school team at Humboldt..But you also know Lake Co had a good middle school team also..But also on the high school team,Ricky Boyd,Rafael Tyler,Caleb Bledsoe are all sophomores and Devon Jones is a freshman..And if Swift does come back,another sophomore,will be very good.

So, swift is a freshman this year?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really had the West Carrol-Lake Co game as a close game..Was thinking Lake Co by about 5 to 8 points since it's at West Carrol..Figure Greer will get his points and West Carrol may get some points outside..Now if Cody Taylor isnt playing..going with West carrol by 5 points..So unless Cody Taylor goes an talks to Whitby or some of the other players talk to Whitby trying to get the coach to let him play..Think Lake Co will be the only team from District 14 A to not advance !

LOL, you don't even have faith in your own team but I think LC will still win by 10 without taylor and 20 with him if they play as a team. LC-72 WC-62

I think Lake Co can win..They're quick but still smaller..Not sure which team is going to show up.And who will even be starting.West Carrol may not be as good as Union City and we gave Union City a decent game without either of them.But West Carrol may be better also.I havent seen them.But I did see Thomas Greer a couple years ago when Russel Avery and Lake Co played them.Russel had his way as did Lake Co but I saw the potential in Greer..And two years older..believe he could be a load to handle..And I agree with you and Wildfalcon.Too much selfish play.

LC still will match up with WC because greer is about 6'3 but weighs around 165 and the rest of the team is average. If, LC uses ther quickness they should be fine! ;)

Well I will post my 2 cents worth. Got to see Lake Co. for the first time on Friday vs Humbolt. I saw a very talented team that was not very disciplined and not real fundamentally sound. Too many missed free throws, lay ups and unforced errors. Again not going to bash the Coaching because I know how things go but at what point is it time to step back as a Coach and say it is time to go on. Saw Coach Whitby as well and he did not look good to me. Maybe time to retire. I know alot of those kids on the team very well, as bigster knows, saw them in middle school. They beat humbolt, they beat union city when they were in middle school. You talk about the kids and being accountable and I agree. I also know kids are going to do what you let them so you want to ask about team discipline. I have seen some of these same things for a while. As a coach you adress these things early. Stay on top of it. I know some players have been alot alot more lease while others were kicked off quick. Talent level plays alot into that. Well get off my soap box but for the players who I care for got to work and get a win vs West Carrol. Play hard and together!! Go LC

Hey Guys, hav'nt been on for a couple of days cause my laptops sick (a virus they say). Anywho wanted to chime in on the game last night. I don't think people were too sold on Humboldt the way they finished out the reg. season but looks like they are serious now! Bryson has such a fluid turn-around and Humboldts defense on the perimeter was the difference! I have never seen a UC team shoot that poorly from behind the arc.

Purple and gold standard you know I love u (in a manly sorta way of course) but the highlight of the night was when Shane Sisco was announced "coach of the Year" and the Humboldt crowd absolutely lambasted him with a hearty shower of BOOS! Classic moment indeed.

Well its just round 1 and we will more than likely see these two again in the region trophy game!

Good luck to all! ;)

Any night Sisco loses is a good night. Congrats to the Vikings. Bigster, call your contacts...Rumor has it C. Taylor has been removed from the team!

Sisco would have won a couple state championships with the talent you guys and Humboldt have had over the last five years... ;)

When is Coach Boykin going to get credit for the job he is doing? I know he isn't the greatest coach in the world, but I also don't think Sisco is the greatest either. Let's look at this season, just the games between UC and Humboldt. When does the coach make the biggest difference in a game? At the end of the game, correct. Just look at how Humboldt outplayed UC the last half of every fourth quarter they played this year. At Humboldt, UC was down 4 with a few minutes left. What happened? At UC, UC up double digits then had to be bailed out by not one but two three pointers. One in regulation and one in overtime. Now last night, Humboldt had the lead and didn't allow UC to get the game to a one possesion game for the last half of the last quarter. I am sick and tired of hearing how great Sisco is, what is his record against Boykin since 2005, anyways? (Boykin 9 Wins - Sisco - 8 Wins) Is that above a .500 winning percentage?

OMG!...All u Lake Co. and Bolt fans stop crying about Sisco..All im gonna say is if Lake Co. and the Boldt had Sisco u would of had at least 2 or 3 state titles..My God people look at UC's starting lineup..5'6 ..5'6..5'9..5'11 and 6'0...case closed..When UC wins the region title and stuns everyone..Then What???..nd im not a huge UC fan by no means..I call it like i see it..Sisco is Impressive...I speak facts people! ;)

Any night Sisco loses is a good night. Congrats to the Vikings. Bigster, call your contacts...Rumor has it C. Taylor has been removed from the team!

Sisco would have won a couple state championships with the talent you guys and Humboldt have had over the last five years... ;)

When is Coach Boykin going to get credit for the job he is doing? I know he isn't the greatest coach in the world, but I also don't think Sisco is the greatest either. Let's look at this season, just the games between UC and Humboldt. When does the coach make the biggest difference in a game? At the end of the game, correct. Just look at how Humboldt outplayed UC the last half of every fourth quarter they played this year. At Humboldt, UC was down 4 with a few minutes left. What happened? At UC, UC up double digits then had to be bailed out by not one but two three pointers. One in regulation and one in overtime. Now last night, Humboldt had the lead and didn't allow UC to get the game to a one possesion game for the last half of the last quarter. I am sick and tired of hearing how great Sisco is, what is his record against Boykin since 2005, anyways? (Boykin 9 Wins - Sisco - 8 Wins) Is that above a .500 winning percentage?

He'll get credit when he wins state championships with the overwhelming athletic ability and talent he has had the great fortune to have...You are exactly right about the 9-8 record....He has 5 of those wins over mediocre, by Union City standards, teams...The last two years, Boykin has had a ridiculous advantage in talent over Union City..He had a better team than Union City back in 05-06...3-1 against a team that did what ??..Yes that's right...Won a state championship....Sisco has done his best coaching job since he has been at Union City this season...For him to be able to stay with this Humboldt team this year with what I feel is essentially Peabody talent is pretty remarkable....If Shane Sisco was coaching your team, you would be in the midst of probably the most dominating period of any team ever in 1A basketball because your team has had the talent to be going for 5 state championships in a row right now....

When will he start getting credit ??...When he wins some rings.... ;)

In Boykins defense, if not for a game-winning shot by Manassas last year, Humboldt would have won the state title. But yal all are right that HB has had the talent year in and year out to win state titles consistently. I actually think the year Epperson played for HB and took his team to the first or second round of the state tournament was the best team he has had and could have easily beat last years team. I also agree that Sisco does a great deal with the average talent he has, if Sisco isn't at UC, UC is fighting with the rest of the lower pack of the district with Peabody, Halls, and Greenfield.

OMG!...All u Lake Co. and Bolt fans stop crying about Sisco..All im gonna say is if Lake Co. and the Boldt had Sisco u would of had at least 2 or 3 state titles..My God people look at UC's starting lineup..5'6 ..5'6..5'9..5'11 and 6'0...case closed..When UC wins the region title and stuns everyone..Then What???..nd im not a huge UC fan by no means..I call it like i see it..Sisco is Impressive...I speak facts people! :hungry:

Sisco is just a love'em or hate'em guy, and I would not be surprised if most people in UC are the ones doin the lovin. He's alot like John Callipari. flashy dresser, flamboyant, and good with the ladies (well Im not sure about that one) . Oh yea and he can coach a little. It was still a classic moment Monday night when the Humboldt crowd let him have it! UC fans shoulda stuck around to take up for him!

I agree with some of the previous posts on here and Purple & Gold made them as well about Humboldt's talent over the past few years. In my opinion, UC and/or Humboldt should've won all of the state titles in Class 1A since the middle part of last decade(from around 2005 on .. ) UC won a couple of gold balls with talented teams, but the other years when they weren't up there, Humboldt should've had a couple in the trophy case as well.

UC has definately suprised some with their play this season as most thought this could be Lake County's time to shine. But at the moment it looks like a possible UC/Humboldt rematch in the regional finals :hungry:

always like to see West TN with as many teams possible in the BORO, so maybe we'll get our wish this post-season :hungry:

Humboldt is in the same talent cycle Union City was in prior to this season and last....There is NO reason Humboldt shouldn't win a state title soon..NONE...

A very good middle school team at Humboldt..But you also know Lake Co had a good middle school team also..But also on the high school team,Ricky Boyd,Rafael Tyler,Caleb Bledsoe are all sophomores and Devon Jones is a freshman..And if Swift does come back,another sophomore,will be very good.

So, swift is a freshman this year?

No..I was saying all the players I named are sophomores this year..Same as Swift..Will be juniors next year..Devon Jones will be a sophomore..I believe Rafael,Devon and Ricky Boyd all started againsr Humboldt..Bledsoe started against Trenton..So those will be your stsrters more than likely next year along with Swift..And B.J. Gauldin ,the player about 6'6 should play a little more . I'm not looking for any of the middle school players to start for a couple more years at Lake Co..Rumour is the Flowers kid is going to go to Dyer Co next year to play football..Big mistake if he does..Dyer Co has their running back coming back the next several seasons and have a couple guys that probably will be the running backs starting at different positions this year because they are so talented.Cranston Fisk and the kid names Spur both started this year at Dyer Co and probably will move to running back.Plus they have Jacob Hudson also a freshman this past year that is already there..Big mistake if he does..And sure not going to play basketball at Dyer Co.Dyer Co is young and loaded.!

In Boykins defense, if not for a game-winning shot by Manassas last year, Humboldt would have won the state title. But yal all are right that HB has had the talent year in and year out to win state titles consistently. I actually think the year Epperson played for HB and took his team to the first or second round of the state tournament was the best team he has had and could have easily beat last years team. I also agree that Sisco does a great deal with the average talent he has, if Sisco isn't at UC, UC is fighting with the rest of the lower pack of the district with Peabody, Halls, and Greenfield.

Had Humboldt been able to hit free throws against Manassas the Vikings would have never been in a position to lose the game on a last second shot.....

You look at 14A since 05-06.....05-06 was a very strange year....Union City was good..They were the #1 team (31-4) in the state when Ripley beat them in the 1st round of the 7AA region tournament the year before ...Humboldt was good too...They had gotten beat in the first round of the AA state tournament the year before....In 05-06 Lake County was VERY good..They were 31-5, had beaten Humboldt 3 out of 3 times but were 1-2 against Union City with the lone win basically coming against UC's JV team because UC had 4 starters benched for disciplinary reasons...Had it worked out where UC would have met Humboldt in the region semis that year, Lake County could have very well won the state championship..As it was, Humboldt and UC went and Humboldt lost a game to Grace Baptist they shouldn't have and UC turned right around and easily beat Grace for the championship....

06-07..Union City (30-4) was the best team in the state..I'll go to my grave believing that....UC had beaten Lake County (26-7) 3 out of 3 and had blown out Humboldt (28-9) twice in the regular season..Humboldt got Union City in the region semis down at West Carroll by three points...For one night Humboldt was the better team......Lake County actually had beaten Humboldt 2 out of 3 that year...That was the year that Peabody shocked West Tn by upsetting Lake County in the second game that night...That left Humboldt going to the state tournament..They were the best team there..They lost to Temple in a game they should have won, then I sat there watching Temple and Chatt Arts & Sciences bumble their way through probably the most boring state tournament game I've seen since I started going back in 1990, well actually I went to one in 1981 and 1986...You would have just had to sat through that whole tournament to understand what I'm talking about...

07-08..The magical undefeated Union City (38-0) season....Oddly enough, although UC was 3-0 vs Humboldt (26-7) and 3-0 vs Lake County (24-7), the Falcons lost those three games by a TOTAL of 10 points...They played UC very, very strong that year...

08-09....Humboldt (33-1) was very solid....Undefeated up until the 1st round of the state tournament, there they were matched up with the other top team in the state, Manassas...Again, those missed free throws killed Humboldt..They kept the Tigers in the game and then Manassas hit that shot to win the game...Lake County (31-5) again had the misfortune of having a great team but they had to travel to Manassas for the sub-state where, in Memphis, it is almost impossible for rural West Tn team to win...Another strange stat for that year was that although Union City was 20-12, they lost their three games to Lake County by a total of 10 points...

You could have a legitimate argument that LC could have been state champions in 05-06...Union City should have won it in 06-07 but after they got beat, Humboldt was the best team there but got beat...07-08 was just destiny all you can say about that for Union City...08-09 could have easily gone Humboldt's way with some made free throws....What will happen this year??...Who knows ??...If somehow, someway Union City could get that sub-state game at Union City, they would have a shot...Humboldt's got the talent to win it this year..Getting that sub-state game at home will be huge though...Humboldt may be the only team in 14A that could go on the road and win a sub-state game this season, in my opinion....Lake County still has real good talent but the Falcons have some major problems within their program...It will be tough for them to get to The Boro...