DII - 125 Match

2blLeg

Lets double that order of cheese.

Most posting on this board have no idea the rule changes that occur. Sommers brought up the one from a couple of years ago that allow for automatic stalling call when the wrestler in control fails to make an attempt to return the defensive wrestler to the mat.

Ok, so what constitutes an attempt? If 10 are posting on this board, you could easily get 10 different attitudes towards it and a lot of that would be based on whether your wrestler was on offense or defense.

You probably didnt know that last year the defensive wrestler should be penalized for standing up and walking off the mat. Or that the offensive wrestler is to be penalized for making no attempt to keep him on the mat (just follows him out of bounds).

Or how about if the offensive wrestler is turning his opponent and he bridges out of bounds.

The call?

Fleeing the mat.

Its in the book. If no near fall has been scored, he is penalized for fleeing the mat.

Now lets say your kid is on top and goes to turn him and that bottom kid bridges out of bounds and you KNOW the rule. Going to let it slide because its stupid (iyho) rule? If you do, you're not much of a coach. You're going to the table and get the point.

See, the NFHS brings down these rule tweaks every year. We hate it when they bring down something subjective because that only creates these types of threads on CoachT. But the national federation doesnt seem so impressed, so they keep doing it.

I think it is across the board but I know in MTN each official at the Region and State tournament passed a 100 question test with a score of 90 or above to qualify to call post season.

Maybe coaches should have to go and take the test.

Maybe fans should.

Maybe you should go watch the match.

The fact is, both of these kids were done wrong. You see posts from the winning team saying it was a horrible match, so quite hiding behind the fact that someone brings it out in a public forum as whinning. Again, like I said, this wasn't my kid. I just watched the match, and have gotten to the point where I thought I should say something. The problem that happens is that people don't like to get involved until it happens to them. Not me, I'll fight for the kids. This guys either needs to get re-trained, or get out of the sport.

To me, it gets old that every time someone complains about a ref, someone like yourself gets on here and calls it whinning. If it were me, I would want to hear it and would go look at myself. Because I would want to be the best I could be for the kids, and not just keep repeating the same mistakes. But you just assume that myself, and others don't know the rules. That's a bit arrogant of you, don't you think? Do your really think that some of us aren't up to date with the sport?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets double that order of cheese.

Most posting on this board have no idea the rule changes that occur. Sommers brought up the one from a couple of years ago that allow for automatic stalling call when the wrestler in control fails to make an attempt to return the defensive wrestler to the mat.

Ok, so what constitutes an attempt? If 10 are posting on this board, you could easily get 10 different attitudes towards it and a lot of that would be based on whether your wrestler was on offense or defense.

You probably didnt know that last year the defensive wrestler should be penalized for standing up and walking off the mat. Or that the offensive wrestler is to be penalized for making no attempt to keep him on the mat (just follows him out of bounds).

Or how about if the offensive wrestler is turning his opponent and he bridges out of bounds.

The call?

Fleeing the mat.

Its in the book. If no near fall has been scored, he is penalized for fleeing the mat.

Now lets say your kid is on top and goes to turn him and that bottom kid bridges out of bounds and you KNOW the rule. Going to let it slide because its stupid (iyho) rule? If you do, you're not much of a coach. You're going to the table and get the point.

See, the NFHS brings down these rule tweaks every year. We hate it when they bring down something subjective because that only creates these types of threads on CoachT. But the national federation doesnt seem so impressed, so they keep doing it.

I think it is across the board but I know in MTN each official at the Region and State tournament passed a 100 question test with a score of 90 or above to qualify to call post season.

Maybe coaches should have to go and take the test.

Maybe fans should.

Maybe you should go watch the match.

The fact is, both of these kids were done wrong. You see posts from the winning team saying it was a horrible match, so quite hiding behind the fact that someone brings it out in a public forum as whinning. Again, like I said, this wasn't my kid. I just watched the match, and have gotten to the point where I thought I should say something. The problem that happens is that people don't like to get involved until it happens to them. Not me, I'll fight for the kids. This guys either needs to get re-trained, or get out of the sport.

To me, it gets old that every time someone complains about a ref, someone like yourself gets on here and calls it whinning. If it were me, I would want to hear it and would go look at myself. Because I would want to be the best I could be for the kids, and not just keep repeating the same mistakes. But you just assume that myself, and others don't know the rules. That's a bit arrogant of you, don't you think? Do your really think that some of us aren't up to date with the sport?

Were you aware of the rules I pointed out? You could have said so, but chose not to. That is telling. We could begin some respect here had you just said no.

Were you aware of the rules I pointed out? You could have said so, but chose not to. That is telling. We could begin some respect here had you just said no.

Are we here to discuss you, and your knowledge of the sport? Or is this thread about a horrible job a ref did in a very important match to these 2 young men.

I am very aware of the rules, and for those I am not, I do speak with others that know more than I do, before I ever question anything.

If you would like to make this thread about you, we can do that. Seems that seems to be the trend with refs anyways.

Are we here to discuss you, and your knowledge of the sport? Or is this thread about a horrible job a ref did in a very important match to these 2 young men.

I am very aware of the rules, and for those I am not, I do speak with others that know more than I do, before I ever question anything.

If you would like to make this thread about you, we can do that. Seems that seems to be the trend with refs anyways.

Well, actually, this thread has seemingly turned to the whine and cheese crowd's possible lack of rules knowledge.

I am only trying to help.

I do await the posting of the match online.

Well, actually, this thread has seemingly turned to the whine and cheese crowd's possible lack of rules knowledge.

I am only trying to help.

I do await the posting of the match online.

again, like I stated in the very first post, I'm not whinning. This was not my son's match. And it's funny how you can say it's whinning, when people from both sides are saying the exact same thing.

Appeciate your help, but maybe that would be better served in helping us resolve the issue, so that more kids don't have to go through this exact same thing. Because based on all the posts, not just this one, there seems to be a HUGE issue with the way refs are handling matches in TN this year. Much worse then ever before.

Usually you can depend on Bowler to call 'em right. He's one of the more seasoned middle TN officials. VERY CONFIDENT in his calls. If I remember right the first call within 40 seconds may have been warranted by Baker not bringing Manley back to the mat within the usual five count. After that, they were not allowed to rassell, IMHO.

Middle TN refs are coming along from I've seen over the past several years. You're right about Gilbert, Craft, Elsie and others in our chattanooga corner of the state, but we also have David Hodges, Barry Clark, and and several others, including another that came over from Washington state not long ago that is adding to a growing talent pool in middle TN. So don't think this one match reflects what we are seeing here in middle TN as far as officiating.

The one match does reflect it, and that's the problem. First, not sure about the other areas, but West TN teams have a hard time getting a fair shake by the middle TN refs. Not the same for the other 3 areas, but for middle TN refs it sure is. And it's to the point where one coach (that doesn't complain) said that he has to adjust the way he coach's a match, because of history of calls his team gets in middle TN.

Next, it was this same ref that called another match just that same day, that cost that kid the match. Not sure I have ever seen this in all the years with the tournament in Chatt, but have seen it on more than a dozen matches in middle TN. And quite a few this year alone.

I'm glad to hear that new refs are moving into the area, but the progress doesn't seem to be happening fast enough. This one poor kid will have to live with the fact that he was cost a state championship because of a ref. One bad call does happen, but not an entire match. And then, to see that it was the same ref calling another horrible match in the same tournament is a bit much.

So now there's a conspiracy against West TN wrestlers when Mid TN refs are involved? Or let me guess that's not what your trying to imply at all. (Just like a few weeks ago you weren't implying that West TN officiating is ahead of Mid TN right?)

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? I'm not one to defend officials and I know there is room for imrovement, but I've never seen anyone cry as much as you do about them.

So now there's a conspiracy against West TN wrestlers when Mid TN refs are involved? Or let me guess that's not what your trying to imply at all. (Just like a few weeks ago you weren't implying that West TN officiating is ahead of Mid TN right?)

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? I'm not one to defend officials and I know there is room for imrovement, but I've never seen anyone cry as much as you do about them.

Was wondering when the board's resident jacka$$ was going to show up. Guess I just got my answer.

Try reading the entire post, and see that it was not just me. Or maybe the reading part is a bit much for you, not sure. But you are going to keep it up one time too many

Was wondering when the board's resident jacka$$ was going to show up. Guess I just got my answer.

Pretty sure I'm not the one spewing out absurd conspiracies against a certain region of the state. I actually find you quite amusing, but I do feel sorry for whoever has to ride back with you to Memphis after a day of terrible officiating and your kids getting screwed solely because of their zip code. :roll:

One way to fix all this is like USA does for the national tournaments, heck even any tourny. They have a process/procedure for protest, works with a committe to determine is misaplication of rules were utilized.

Also they have a video review, challenge, where you can challenge the call or last of it by a commitee to make judgement. The crew is selected well ahead and makes final decisions.