Henry County Football

West TN football

What did Counce do that was so "great" at Dyersburg to make him better than Ward in your eyes?????

James Counce at Dyersburg

1995: 3-7 (DNQ for Playoffs)

1996: 3-7 (DNQ for Playoffs)

1997: 13-1 (3-1 in Playoffs): semifinal lost 43-0 to Pearl-Cohn

1998: 10-3 (2-1 in Playoffs): quarterfinal lost 21-14 to Hardin County

1999: 10-1 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2000: 6-5 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2001: 8-3 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2002: 5-6 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2003: 8-4 (1-1 in Playoffs)

2004: 5-6 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2005: 10-1 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2006: 12-2 (3-1 in Playoffs): semifinal lost 42-10 to David Lipscomb

Now as a previous poster just showed Kevin Ward has taken Camden Central to the State Quarterfinals of the Playoffs 4 times in the last 6 years. You may make fun of Lewis County but I PROMISE YOU that Goodpasture, Huntingdon, & Milan aren't any worse than any team Dyersburg has faced. They got on the field against David Lipscomb in 2006 and got destroyed. At least Camden Central took Goodpasture to the wire when they met. Difference between David Lipscomb & Goodpasture???? NONE!!!!

James Counce went to the State Semifinals in his 3rd year at Dyersburg and got destroyed by a Pearl-Cohn team that was simply loaded. PC didn't surrender a single point that year in the playoffs from the opening round throughout the state semifinals. The following year in '98 Dyersburg went to the quarterfinals and lost to Hardin County. THAT IS NO DIFFERENT FROM THE SEASONS IN WHICH CAMDEN CENTRAL HAS ENJOYED 4 OF THE LAST 6 YEARS!!!! From 1999-2005 Dyersburg went 1-7 in the TSSAA State Playoffs. In those 7 seasons Counce managed to go 10-0 with 2 teams and yet fall in the opening round of the playoffs. He had a great year again in 2006 but got killed in the semifinals against David Lipscomb.

Kevin Ward did much more with much less at Camden Central than James Counce did at Dyersburg. The numbers do not lie :thumb:

MY MY MY - I love how facts make people change the subject or sometimes even shut-up!

Great post and I dont hear a lotta rebutta or debatel!

The reason you haven't heard a response or a "rebutta" is because that arguement makes ZERO since! Like RedWarrior...i think that is a STUPID post. Comparing playoff numbers of coaches at different schools in different classifications who play different competition is useless time spent!

For those who can't read or have poor memories...I was the one that said that Kevin Ward is one of Tennessee's best coaches....I think that what I said ...acutally I know that's what I said because I said it!

Henry County is known for having and grooming excellent high school football coaches. It is a great job...HC had several options as they searched for a Gaddis replacement....and the director made an excellent choice!

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it official yet? Is it Ward? Is it Counce? Is it the YANKER?

I still firmly believe that Kevin Ward is the right hire for the job based on the production that he can give the Patriots over the LONG HAUL. Counce would be a good hire yes indeed however he is just not a guy I see coaching football for the LONG HAUL. A revolving door at the head coaching position can really have a negative impact on a football program.

If any of you don't believe me I have plenty of examples to give :blush:

Unless your "example" are actual quotes from James Counce Sr., then nobody cares to hear your predictions on how long Coach Counce choses to coach! Otherwise, your "examples" are schewed opinions on what "you believe" happened in other places at different times, under challenging circumstances...in other words....no one cares about your predictions!

OK apologies to all. I have been busted. I am not a retired coach living at the lake-not even close. I am actually the girlfriend of an assistant coach living in town. Although I'm a girl I do know alot about the gridiron! Occasionally (monthly) I become sensitive and log on to CoachT say mean things that should not be said. Just this week the Prophet and I were at a Pampered Chef party and neither of us won a door prize, which made us very sad. I came home (in pity) and logged on to CoachT and read about all the bickering surrounding the hiring of the new coach and said some things that were not nice. I’m sorry.

I support all HC programs and coaches.

I know the new coach – whoever it is – will do an outstanding job along side the wonderful assistants we have and a very good group of kids returning.

Keep up the good work Big Red!

Nice try! FAIL!!!!

OK apologies to all. I have been busted. I am not a retired coach living at the lake-not even close. I am actually the girlfriend of an assistant coach living in town. Although I'm a girl I do know alot about the gridiron! Occasionally (monthly) I become sensitive and log on to CoachT say mean things that should not be said. Just this week the Prophet and I were at a Pampered Chef party and neither of us won a door prize, which made us very sad. I came home (in pity) and logged on to CoachT and read about all the bickering surrounding the hiring of the new coach and said some things that were not nice. I’m sorry.

I know the new coach – whoever it is – will do an outstanding job along side the wonderful assistants we have and a very good group of kids returning.

Nice try! FAIL!!!!

If you'll notice that's not the same screen name...

Nice try! FAIL!!!!

If you'll notice that's not the same screen name...

If you'll notice that is why I put "Nice try! FAIL!"

Reason#1 The user name only has 1 post and we all know the real RW has more than one post!

Reason#2 There is no space between Red and Warrior!

burt snow, henry county graduate, played under counce, coached under counce at dyersburd, since has coached at mckenzie, and lake county, pretty good fellow, not sure what kind of coach he is, unless applicant is not telling the truth then it is true, warrior it is a shame that we get cross examined for standing up for coaches who have helped build a strong program at Henry county, it almost seems to make some mad that we would stand up for those that have been a part of HCHS success. Makes no sense if they are henry county faithful, most likely, they are they are incomers who could care less about what has gone on, but will take credit for any success gained from this point on

prophet, I am sorry that you find me so defensive. I am new comer to the boards, but I played for Coach Counce and it is easy for me to defend him. I felt as if people were saying bad things about him and he didn't deserve that. I have agreed that the administration is the ones that are wrong here. Why didn't Poteete talk to the assistant coaches that applied? Why didn't McFerrin talk to the asst. coaches? That is the underlying problem. Mr. Miles was not here yet, officially so I can see why maybe he did not, but I will not leave him totally in the clear either. I do think a good hire was made. I love football so I have been going to games since I came back home to live. I went to games and rooted during those bad years and I went to games and rooted during these great times. I came on the board and got defensive because I thought people were being hard on Coach Counce and he has done nothing except accept another challenge. Granted because of the good coaching and players that are here the challenge will not be as great, but I look forward to going to games and coming by and visiting with Coach Counce.

:blush:

After tomorrow, Pats can OFFICIALLY move on! Can't wait and see what the Spring practice brings to the field!

Spring practice will bring Coach Counce and a very talented football team to the field. It will be interesting. I can't believe Gaddis left with what's coming up and already in place. Counce will win and he will win big...soon AND later.

So by saying "soon AND later" you now agree that Coach Counce might be a good choice? I know you said this before, but you also made remarks about him not being here very long. I will agree with you and prophet that the principal and AD should have spoken with those asst. coaches!! I 100% agree with that. Everyone will soon find out that Coach Counce will do a fine job. He even said in the paper that he wasn't changing the attack that was being used. I think I read that on the PI website didn't I? So if that is true, I'd say he will be using those asst. coaches wisely. When you get off work today, why don't you go by the field house and introduce yourself to Coach Counce. You would like him!

Don't be a jackass I was simply pointing that out for everyone else's benefit...

You shouldn't use that language on CoachT! If you were just pointing it out for everyone else's benefit you would have just said " If everyone will notice that's not the same screen name..." and not replied to my message at all.

Don't be a jackass I was simply pointing that out for everyone else's benefit...

You shouldn't use that language on CoachT! If you were just pointing it out for everyone else's benefit you would have just said " If everyone will notice that's not the same screen name..." and not replied to my message at all.

Excuse me for not having proper message board etiquette. I will try to do better in the future.

Excuse me for not having proper message board etiquette. I will try to do better in the future.

:blush::excl::D