Year Ends TOP TEN WRESTLERS... Whos the Best?

tnko

In response to Ridintime and 2blLeg's earlier posts,

Cole Hayes and Stuart Doster are both very tough, as well as fine young men. If you want to see an all out battle, then I'm willing to bet the Baylor practice room held plenty of those between Hayes and Doster over the course of the season.

Hayes might very well be a 3X state champ as of last weekend if it weren't for the extremely inopportune injuries that occurred before state in both 2009 and 2010. I would've enjoyed seeing a great match between him and Johnson, and we probably would have seen a better semi-final's match between Hayes and Hooker. Anyhow, it was a tough weight class.

I'd like to add that I've seen a lot of improvement in Doster since last season. I know he was already a 2 timer, but he looked exceptional in State tourney last weekend. I think he's developed into a very skilled wrestler on top of the natural talent he already had. It's always good to see a young man keep good motivation, when he has already accomplished what few will accomplish

RidinTime and 2blleg, regarding Doster and Hayes, I certainly wouldn't put one in the top ten list without the other.

On a side note, I hope all State medalists will consider wrestling in National tournaments during the offseason in order to measure their talent against the best of the best. All State finalists are eligible for Senior Nationals and Junior nationals (if they are seniors or juniors) and I know for a fact that one 3rd place finisher from each state can apply for entry into both of these tournaments. Wrestling in national competitions is a good way to be recognized by colleges, and if nothing else it's a great opportunity. Even if you are a state champ, you can learn a few things by going to these tournaments. I hope all Tennessee coaches will urge their wrestlers to seek the best competition they can find.

Great Tournament, and congratulations to State Champions Baylor and Bradley Central. It would truly quench the Tennessee wrestling fans' long deprived desire to see a Baylor vs. Bradley "battle of the dynasties" sometime in this era.

There already was a match between Hayes and Johnson this year, when both were healthy.

As for him being a 3x, that is all just speculation. Remember, he had Johnson in that same weight class last year, so who knows. I know in the head to head, Johnson has the upper hand. So to just have given him the championship is a bit assuming. I think Johnson would have had something to say about it. For some reason Johnson got overlooked a lot this past 2 years. Not sure why. Time and time again, he stepped up and won some pretty big matches. His season this year was marked with only 2 losses. And one of those being to the 3x Oklahoma state champ 5-3 (if I remember correctly, with a near reversal at the end of the match).

Also, not trying to belittle Cole in any way. Great wrestler for sure, but when talking about this year's top 10, I just don't see how you can put him in there without him having wrestled. It was sad that he was hurt, but hurt he was. And he did not win the big matches when it counted. I'm not sure what happened in their practice room. I'm sure there were plenty of matches there that we all would have loved to see, but the fact is, what counts is out on the real mats. Hopefully he regains his health, and goes on to have a huge college career.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who wins between DI and D2: THIS YEAR... May I suggest D2 wins @ 119 with a SOMEWHAT healthy Watson, 130 (real close) 135, 140, 145 really close, and 160. DI runs the table after that. (Note: 103 will be close against Ryan, Bruner fights to finish strong)

Any other thoughts?

130 wasn't even close when they matched up earlier this season.

DII wins at 152, and 171

I agree with most but I would add to mine

Jeremy Miller

Chris Aguilar

Trevor Herron (undefeated)

Marvin Lopez

Cameron Croy

Michael Kennedy

Campbell Lewis

Brennon Cox

Zach Watson

Brunner

While you have many good wrestlers on your list, your Division one bias still shines. One D2 wrestler out of 10? Brunner is good but he isnt anywhere near the top ten in the state. I saw him lose almost every match he wrestled at a Dual tournament this past summer, a tournament where Lewis, Manley, Doster, Martino, and many others did very well. Trey Stavrum teched Trevor Herron twice during the summer. And Manley defeated Lopez at Freestyle state. There are many very good wrestlers in D2 that belong on a top ten list.

Who wins between DI and D2: THIS YEAR... May I suggest D2 wins @ 119 with a SOMEWHAT healthy Watson, 130 (real close) 135, 140, 145 really close, and 160. DI runs the table after that. (Note: 103 will be close against Ryan, Bruner fights to finish strong)

Any other thoughts?

DII wins at 152, and 171

Okay, 152 - 3 out of ten, but who beats Proctor one out of a ten, or even one out of 50?

Any other thoughts?

DII wins at 152, and 171

Okay, 152 - 3 out of ten, but who beats Proctor one out of a ten, or even one out of 50?

I guess the math isn't adding up here. If D2 would win 119, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152 & 160 - that adds up to 7, not 3.

Ok, D1 vs D2

103- Brunner vs Akers--Akers dec--d1-0 d2-3

112- Thomas vs Ward--Thomas maj dec--d1-4 d2-3

119- Watson vs Hames--Watson dec- d1-4 d2-6

125- Lewis vs Manley--Manley dec- d1-4 d2-9

130- Lopez vs Bauke--Bauke maj- d1-4 d2-13

135- Herron vs Johnson-- Herron dec- d1-7 d2-13

140- Doster vs Chege-- Doster maj- d1-7 d2-17

145- Cox vs Johnson- Cox dec- d1-10 d2-17

152- Aguilar vs Duncan- Duncan dec- d1-10 d2-20

160- Jones vs Todd- Todd dec- d1-10 d2-23

171- Proctor vs Wesley- Proctor dec- d1-13 d2-23

189- Kennedy vs Ferguson- Kennedy maj- d1-17 d2-23

215- Croy vs Helton- Croy maj- d1-21 d2-23

Hwt- Allen vs Mackey- Allen dec- d1-24 d2-23

So by my calculations, D1 takes it. D2 gets a comanding lead but D1 battles back in the upper weights to win it....

PRTiii :thumb: