Region 4-AAA Tourney

MidTennFootball

Jamal Hughes is the best player in 7 AAA hands down. Hammonds when healthy is a very good player, but not as good as Hughes- especially on the defensive end. Gooch from Siegel has really been the glue for that team this season. He is the best athlete in the league. Williams is a quality post player inside, but if he plays someone that matches up with his height he struggles to score. Very good defensively. Craig from Riverdale is a dominant force in the paint offensively and defensively. Smyrna does have a quality player in Josh Woodard, very solid guard not to be overlooked.

Lawrence County should not be overlooked. They shoot the ball better than any team in 7 AAA and are deceptively athletic. Their lack of size inside is their major weakness.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not getting started on the Hammonds/Hughes debate. Both are excellent athletes and should be recognized as such. If I personally were starting a team and could pick Hammonds or Hughes, I would hands down pick Hammonds. Not saying that I would complain if I got Hughes!! lol.

Woodard from Smyrna is not anywhere near the level of Hammonds, Hughes, Craig, or Williams. I may be wrong here, but I think Williams has only had 2 non-double double games this season.

Here's my opinion:

Columbia has their way with Riverdale. The Dale may keep it close for a half, but the Columbia's athleticism will wear them down. Columbia by 14.

Siegel takes advantage of a Andrews-less Shelbyville and seeks revenge from last years Region Semi-final game. Siegel by 20.

Oakland...well what can I say its Oakland vs. Frankiln Co.. Will be interesting to see how Oakland responds to the loss of Rhodes. Oakland by 21.

Lawerence Co. will frustrate Smyrna. Plus the game is at LC...enough said. LC by 15.

Again, just my opinion. Any others want to chime in?

Does put a ? on the depth Oakland will have now. Just trying to think back at who I have seen them sub in. #20 and I believe # 21. Thats all I can think of. Only going 7 deep looks kind of scary when you take one away. Interesting points OP. ;)

Conditioning wise, it will be a non factor. Say what you want, but I think Oakland is as well conditioned as anybody around. With the team they had this season, they pretty much had to.

As far as the Hughes/Hammonds debate: I absolutely love Hughes' game, one of my fav. Oakland players of all time, but if you asked me which one I would start a team around, give me Hammonds. Yes, Hughes is maybe a better overall player, but at the end of the day, you win by putting the ball in the basket and Hammonds can do it from just about anywhere on the court.

As far as predictions:

Oakland v. FC: This game worries me. Oakland has pretty much had their way with FC in the past, and like i said earlier, eventually the law of averages catch up. I say that FC gives Oakland all the way for a half, and then as they all season, make a statement in the 3rd quarter on their way to the region semifinals. Oakland by 12

Columbia v. Riverdale: Both districts are way too balanced for there not to be an upset somewhere along the way. It is worth noting that Riverdale beat Columbia 67-55 in the season opener. Riverdale is playing its best ball at the right time of the year. The trio of Clark, Chesterfield, and Craig have been big for them as of late. Seems like coaching will about even out, at least from what I have heard in regards to Columbia. I like Riverdale in the upset. Warriors by 4

Siegel v. Shelbyville: Shelbyville showed tremendous grit and moxie getting to this point. Not many teams could have given what they lost in that game a few weeks ago. Would be a great story if they were to pull the upset, but it is not going to happen. Siegel by 15

Lawrence Co. v. Smyrna: Was certainly a feel good story for Smyrna to get to this point, their first region berth in 7/8 years. But it will end tommorrow night. Scrappy LC team combined with a great homecourt advantage will be too much. LC by 17

Lawrence Co. v. Smyrna

I agree with all but the Riverdale/Columbia game. In the game at the beginning of the season, Is it known if Columbia had all of their football players? Also, Riverdale is without Odom and Thigpen. Not that either contributed a lot, but losing Thigpen may hurt Riverdale if Craig gets in foul trouble.

I think its enough to warrant a potential upset alert. I know this game is a reach, but what fun is it if it falls accoring to seed?

I agree with all but the Riverdale/Columbia game. In the game at the beginning of the season, Is it known if Columbia had all of their football players? Also, Riverdale is without Odom and Thigpen. Not that either contributed a lot, but losing Thigpen may hurt Riverdale if Craig gets in foul trouble.

I think its enough to warrant a potential upset alert. I know this game is a reach, but what fun is it if it falls accoring to seed?

Lots of fun when the "Big Dogs" meet eachother in the Semis. Oakland vs. Columbia and Siegel vs. Lawerence Co. Sounds like a great night to be in Shelbyville to me!! ;)

Lots of fun when the "Big Dogs" meet eachother in the Semis. Oakland vs. Columbia and Siegel vs. Lawerence Co. Sounds like a great night to be in Shelbyville to me!! ;)

Call me a purist I guess. Would be nice just to see one upset. Its going to be a great night in Shelbyville regardless. Or maybe the boro if 7-AAA can pull of a sweep ;)

First of all, Morristown East is still 19-10 on the season. They only truly play one senior, 2 juniors, and 5 SOPHOMORES!!! East is a young team and I think they will make a run at the region title this year! Coach Wright did set this in motion, but Morristown East is 10-3 in their last 13 games. I think they might be getting hot at the right time...

I don't know about Oakland now. We will see how coaching makes a difference. I just found out and its a fact, Oakland's point guard tore his ACL. He is going to try and play, but I don't know how much of a factor he will be in the region and the rest of the year!

First off, Morristown-East isnt in Region 4AAA so take the Morristown East talk elsewhere.

Secondly, Oakland will be the same if not better without Rhodes in my opinion if he did infact tear his ACL. I hate it for the kid and my thoughts and prayers are with him, but he only shot the ball once or twice a game. He was by no means a defensive stopper or rebounder. What I'm getting at is I think Oakland can replace Rhodes easily if not make their team better by adding Brown. He had a huge game against Siegel in the dist. champ. and in my opinion is a better scorer, defender, and rebounder than Rhodes. If ballhandling is a ?, Oakland could easily get the ball down court by committee with Hughes, Adams, and Mitchell.

I personally am looking forward to Oakland vs. Siegel IV!!!!!

The reason Morristown East was in this conversation, is because of Wright. Does the past not lead to what is currently going on in the present? Yes, you can definitely compare what he did there and at Oakland. A little compare and contrast won't kill anyone. However, I am with you. I hope that Oakland vs. Siegel IV is better than the previous three. What great basketball! Anytime you lose a senior point guard, box score stud or not, it hurts. I know. I have been in coaching and around basketball for a long time. All that I can say is good luck to the both of them, because as tough as this region is, we may be looking at two completely different teams...

First of all, Morristown East is still 19-10 on the season. They only truly play one senior, 2 juniors, and 5 SOPHOMORES!!! East is a young team and I think they will make a run at the region title this year! Coach Wright did set this in motion, but Morristown East is 10-3 in their last 13 games. I think they might be getting hot at the right time...

I don't know about Oakland now. We will see how coaching makes a difference. I just found out and its a fact, Oakland's point guard tore his ACL. He is going to try and play, but I don't know how much of a factor he will be in the region and the rest of the year!

First off, Morristown-East isnt in Region 4AAA so take the Morristown East talk elsewhere.

Secondly, Oakland will be the same if not better without Rhodes in my opinion if he did infact tear his ACL. I hate it for the kid and my thoughts and prayers are with him, but he only shot the ball once or twice a game. He was by no means a defensive stopper or rebounder. What I'm getting at is I think Oakland can replace Rhodes easily if not make their team better by adding Brown. He had a huge game against Siegel in the dist. champ. and in my opinion is a better scorer, defender, and rebounder than Rhodes. If ballhandling is a ?, Oakland could easily get the ball down court by committee with Hughes, Adams, and Mitchell.

I personally am looking forward to Oakland vs. Siegel IV!!!!!

The reason Morristown East was in this conversation, is because of Wright. Does the past not lead to what is currently going on in the present? Yes, you can definitely compare what he did there and at Oakland. A little compare and contrast won't kill anyone. However, I am with you. I hope that Oakland vs. Siegel IV is better than the previous three. What great basketball! Anytime you lose a senior point guard, box score stud or not, it hurts. I know. I have been in coaching and around basketball for a long time. All that I can say is good luck to the both of them, because as tough as this region is, we may be looking at two completely different teams...

Except Mike is taking over a program looking to get to that next level, not a rebuilding job (well hopefully not). At P-F and M-E, those were both instances in which alot of work had to be done, not so much at Oakland, at least from a coaching standpoint. Coach Wright has a huge advantage over previous Oakland coaches in that his hire came at the exact same time that they approved Oakland Middle School

He will have to rebuild a little next season with the loss of Hughes, but YES, the middle school does help. I know for a fact that he will have the majority say so in who is hired to run his middle school program. I would think that it would be someone that he has coached with before who has the ambition to be a high school coach one day. They come down, run the middle school program for a couple years, one of his HS assistants gets a head job somewhere, middle school guy moves up, and the circle continues. I promise you that if anyone can make this work to their advantage, it will be Mike. I am cheering for them. I would love to see him take them to the state in his first year. Pigeon Forge was building from the ground up when he got that job, East he started a great thing, and now with Oakland he just has to maintain a wonderful basketball tradition. He is the right man for that job. Good luck keeping him there, he is that good!!!

He will have to rebuild a little next season with the loss of Hughes, but YES, the middle school does help. I know for a fact that he will have the majority say so in who is hired to run his middle school program. I would think that it would be someone that he has coached with before who has the ambition to be a high school coach one day. They come down, run the middle school program for a couple years, one of his HS assistants gets a head job somewhere, middle school guy moves up, and the circle continues. I promise you that if anyone can make this work to their advantage, it will be Mike. I am cheering for them. I would love to see him take them to the state in his first year. Pigeon Forge was building from the ground up when he got that job, East he started a great thing, and now with Oakland he just has to maintain a wonderful basketball tradition. He is the right man for that job. Good luck keeping him there, he is that good!!!

Indeed. Exciting times at Oakland. I think it speaks to what he believes is the potential of OHS to take this job when he has been in East TN exclusively for most of his young career. I made a little chuckle when he hired Ken Nolan Jr., who is a very good coach in his own right. Did alot of good things at McFadden, so I wouldnt be suprised to see him at Oakland Middle.