Miss Basketball Finalists

Ticket

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to all of the finalists! I know that they have all worked very hard for this honor. Being from NW Tennessee, and more specifically, Obion County, I would especially like to congratulate Chassidy Fussell! In Obion County, when it comes to girls' basketball, there are currently 2 names synonymous with basketball, Chassidy Fussell and the Reedy Girls!! And they are all outstanding athletes and all have great character! (Although the Reedy's chose to leave Obion County, many of us are still very proud of the girls and their continued efforts and achievements!! and we understand that sometimes you make sacrifices for the best interests of those you love most! :popcorneater: ) As for Chass, we wish you all the best of luck and continued success! You have earned it! Now, go forth and conquer and make us all proud! Good luck in Regional Tournaments - play YOUR game - and have fun!

Alright.... MY AA Ms. Basketball breakdown of the finalist. I have seen all 3 of the players now including Taylor Mills from Gibbs High School. We went to the Tennessee/Kentucky game today in Knoxville and watched the CPA/Gibbs game last night at CPA.

My unbiased breakdown of the 3 players:

Chassidy Fussell (Obion Co.) - She has signed with a Major D1 and top 25 team in the NCAA in Texas. Fussell can handle the ball better than any girls basketball player that I've seen at the high school level. She can literally break a player down by going between the legs, behind the back or with a killer crossover. Her shooting is suspect right now as she's a streaky shooter from 3 point range, but if you let her get a mid-range shot or closer you mine as well put 2 points on the board. She plays very solid defense as well. She's definately the best player to ever come through Obion Co. High School.

Taylor Mills (Gibbs) - She has signed with Kennesaw St. Kennesaw St. just got approval to be a D1 University. My breakdown on Taylor is that she's a great ball handler in the open floor. She has an awkward shot shooting from the hip, however she is money if left wide open. I noticed last night that CPA was face guarding her alot and she would just quit on offense. She does not have very much help at all on her team and you could tell the frustration was there with her. She plays absolutely no defense at all and never goes in for a rebound. I saw several times where she'd stand at half court and wait for someone to get the outlet pass to her so she could run down for an easy layup.

Heather Butler (Gibson Co.) - She has signed with UT-Martin of the Ohio Valley Conference and is headed to play for her former high school coach in Coach Kevin McMillan. Butler has had a very great career with Gibson Co. and will finish as either the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer in GC history. Butler is a leader on the court and runs the PG position to perfection, however she may play a SG at UTM next year. Butler is a very consistent shooter and does not let her heigth effect her ability to get to the basket. She plays great defense and always guards the other teams best player.

GP never ever try to get a job as a basketball analyst. I know that your pulling for folks in your neck of the woods......Heck...Im a big Heather Butler fan myself. I just thought you were above tearing down another player. Ive watched T.Mills shoot from the time she was 8 and she has never shot from the hip!!!

You have no idea what she has gone thru this year...and all of it mostly with a smile on her face.Your no defense statement is absurd also. You even want to slight her college choice.????

Grow up big man and join the adults if your going to spread your opinion around!

Taylor has been double teamed ,gimmicked ,and trapped the entire season with out a lot of help so all of her shots have been of her own making. Stands at mid court and waits for the ball? I didnt know crack was a big problem in West Tennessee.

I expected better from you.

GP never ever try to get a job as a basketball analyst. I know that your pulling for folks in your neck of the woods......Heck...Im a big Heather Butler fan myself. I just thought you were above tearing down another player. Ive watched T.Mills shoot from the time she was 8 and she has never shot from the hip!!!

You have no idea what she has gone thru this year...and all of it mostly with a smile on her face.Your no defense statement is absurd also. You even want to slight her college choice.????

Grow up big man and join the adults if your going to spread your opinion around!

Taylor has been double teamed ,gimmicked ,and trapped the entire season with out a lot of help so all of her shots have been of her own making. Stands at mid court and waits for the ball? I didnt know crack was a big problem in West Tennessee.

I expected better from you.

Well robpride i have also seen all 3 and there are better players in the district that fussell and butler play in than taylor mills but sayin all that no we dont know what she has been through and it shows alot of character on her part to do it with a smile on her face and i wish her nothin but luck at the next level i just dont think she is as good as the other 2

First, let me start off saying that ALL three girls nominated for the Class AA Miss Basketball are worthy of the nomination. Secondly, I have seen all three girls play numerous times. I first saw Mills as a 10 year old in AAU, Butler as a 7th grader at Medina Middle, and Fussell as a 12 or 13 year old, and have watched them all play more times than I can count up until now. There is no doubt that Fussell is the best overall player, and she will probably win the award (and deservedly so). However, no one should be taking cheap shots at another nominee just because you are trying to support your favorite. You can support your player without doing that.

GCPioneer, your post was about as far from "unbiased" as it could get. Somehow you managed to find things wrong with Fussell (shooting is suspect from long range) and Mills's games, but you didn't say a single thing about what could be improved in Butler's game (you might as well have said she is the perfect player). I am not saying that you are incorrect in some of the things that you said about Fussell and Mills, but if you are going to be "unbiased" then don't talk about the weaknesses of Fussell and Mills without throwing in at least one on Butler (I'm sure her game is not perfect). Somehow after watching Mills play only one game, you came to the conclusion that she doesn't play defense, doesn't shoot correctly, doesn't rebound, and is overall a lazy player. You got all of that from one game? I have never known Mills to not play defense, shoot from the hip, or be lazy by standing at half court, and I don't think I have seen her do any of those three things in the 40+ times I have saw her over her basketball playing career. The only thing I can somewhat agree on is that she doesn't always rebound consistently, but at 5-4, she is not going to dominate the glass.

I am not trying to get on you GCPioneer, I think you know that. Just the next time you are going to post something "unbiased," take off the 13AA rose colored glasses first.

First, let me start off saying that ALL three girls nominated for the Class AA Miss Basketball are worthy of the nomination. Secondly, I have seen all three girls play numerous times. I first saw Mills as a 10 year old in AAU, Butler as a 7th grader at Medina Middle, and Fussell as a 12 or 13 year old, and have watched them all play more times than I can count up until now. There is no doubt that Fussell is the best overall player, and she will probably win the award (and deservedly so). However, no one should be taking cheap shots at another nominee just because you are trying to support your favorite. You can support your player without doing that.

GCPioneer, your post was about as far from "unbiased" as it could get. Somehow you managed to find things wrong with Fussell (shooting is suspect from long range) and Mills's games, but you didn't say a single thing about what could be improved in Butler's game (you might as well have said she is the perfect player). I am not saying that you are incorrect in some of the things that you said about Fussell and Mills, but if you are going to be "unbiased" then don't talk about the weaknesses of Fussell and Mills without throwing in at least one on Butler (I'm sure her game is not perfect). Somehow after watching Mills play only one game, you came to the conclusion that she doesn't play defense, doesn't shoot correctly, doesn't rebound, and is overall a lazy player. You got all of that from one game? I have never known Mills to not play defense, shoot from the hip, or be lazy by standing at half court, and I don't think I have seen her do any of those three things in the 40+ times I have saw her over her basketball playing career. The only thing I can somewhat agree on is that she doesn't always rebound consistently, but at 5-4, she is not going to dominate the glass.

I am not trying to get on you GCPioneer, I think you know that. Just the next time you are going to post something "unbiased," take off the 13AA rose colored glasses first.

I've even said that I thought Fussell is going to win Ms. Basketball this year. Not in this post, but I've told people around here that I thought she would. She was a finalist last year and people are going to see that she's signed with Texas and see her average PPG.

From what I gathered in the CPA game is that she CAN shoot the lights out if open. However, when CPA was face guarding her she just stood around and didn't try to get open which of course her team set very few screens for her except when she did have the ball. She DID stand right in front of half court several times waiting for an outlet pass to go down for an open layup, sometimes it worked sometimes not. It wasn't everytime, but I sure saw it alot I do know that. She could handle the ball well in the open floor and broke CPA's press on her own several times. I never once shot down the fact that she's going to Kennesaw St. If you noticed, robpride, I put what college that all 3 girls signed with in my very first sentence of each one. If you think I was shooting her down for saying they just became a D1 University, I did not mean nothing negative in that. There's several D2's that are as good as D1's. Sorry we 3 people don't see eye to eye on this, but I really don't think Mills is as good as Butler or Fussell and I'll venture out to say that Rechis from Westview is a better overall player than her. Call it biased if you'd like, it's just the way I see it.

I've even said that I thought Fussell is going to win Ms. Basketball this year. Not in this post, but I've told people around here that I thought she would. She was a finalist last year and people are going to see that she's signed with Texas and see her average PPG.

From what I gathered in the CPA game is that she CAN shoot the lights out if open. However, when CPA was face guarding her she just stood around and didn't try to get open which of course her team set very few screens for her except when she did have the ball. She DID stand right in front of half court several times waiting for an outlet pass to go down for an open layup, sometimes it worked sometimes not. It wasn't everytime, but I sure saw it alot I do know that. She could handle the ball well in the open floor and broke CPA's press on her own several times. I never once shot down the fact that she's going to Kennesaw St. If you noticed, robpride, I put what college that all 3 girls signed with in my very first sentence of each one. If you think I was shooting her down for saying they just became a D1 University, I did not mean nothing negative in that. There's several D2's that are as good as D1's. Sorry we 3 people don't see eye to eye on this, but I really don't think Mills is as good as Butler or Fussell and I'll venture out to say that Rechis from Westview is a better overall player than her. Call it biased if you'd like, it's just the way I see it.

I don't think anyone is debating that Fussell is the best player (that much is obvious), and I never said or implied that you didn't think Fussell was going to win it. What is being debated is the fact that you gave an "unbiased" opinion, but somehow managed to be extremely critical of Mills (after only seeing her play one game in your lifetime), while speaking highly of Fussell but managed to point out her weakness from behind the arc, and then lastly spoke highly of Butler but has nothing critical to say of her at all. When you are able to find weaknesses in the other two's games (one of which you've only seen play one time and not all those weaknesses are factual), yet you do not find weaknesses in Butler who is from Gibson County, then the post is not "unbiased". That is the only issue I had.