Thrown games?

seriously

ReitzFan posted.....

".....Of course, we would not be having this conversation if the TSSAA give the district consolation games some real drama by making it an elimination game. Unfortunately, that won't happen as it would take some cash out of the TSSAA bank account. In reality we can blame the TSSAA for having a system that creates the possibility of what has happened......"

I do believe this....The Tennessee basketball postseason is a watered-down joke....How can you justify the possibility of a team going 7-3 AFTER the regular season ends and still win a state championship ??....

You and I are on the same page with that thought. I believe that once the district tournament starts, it should be "one and done". It would also eliminate the possibility of us having the current discussion that we are having.

You and I are mostly on the same page on the other thing to...The only sticking point is the fact Fussell is hurt which made a big difference in LaRue's decision-making process the other night...You may not agree that Pate's punishment was enough, which I would have had to weigh out all the options and possible ramifications of whatever decision I made had on my team as a whole....I'm sure LaRue did that and had a good discussion with his assistant coach and took into alot of consideration to what Coach Brown's feelings were about the situation...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ReitzFan posted....

"In regards to Pate, it seems rather convenient that her suspension ended in time for her to play in a "do or die" game. From what I heard from OCC people, she would not even be on the team if I were in charge. But, I am old school and not in charge at OCC. Thus my opinion is just my opinion. I do know if i were to have cussed one of my coaches, I would have been kicked off the team."....

The convenience is the fact that what happened, happened right before the district tournament started...Look, had I done what she did, I woulda got knocked out but that was back in the late 70's early 80's...You didn't even look at ANY adult cross-ways and you certainly didn't talk back or confront them in any other way...

Pate hasn't been in any trouble before and is by all accounts a very good kid....Kids make stupid mistakes....Had she had a history of doing this sort of thing, then yes, kick her off...She hasn't, so I'm all for giving a kid a second chance..Believe me, there are kids that have been kicked off other programs at OC that it took three, four maybe even five chances before it happened and they did much worse than what Pate did....I'm sure that it is that way at many other programs around the state as well...

I don't know if you have been to many high school practices but kids and coaches get into it verbally much more than you think....There is more to the story than that...It's something that I will not get into on here...

I don't know if you have been to many high school practices but kids and coaches get into it verbally much more than you think....There is more to the story than that...It's something that I will not get into on here...

Where I am from and how I was raised, I would have been booted off of the team. When I got home, the punishment would have been much worse.

It's too bad that kids don't seem to have near the respect for their coaches as they did back in our and our parents day.

There may be more to the story and I can appreciate that. Still......It sounds like you and I were raised alot alike.

We may have a difference of opinion. But, it is good that we can have a civil discussion about what has gone on.

several years ago a team that is now district 7a threw a game in semi-finals to get in opposite bracket of the obivious power house that year 1st plays 3rd in region if you defeat other district in 1st round and I think they ended up loosing in substate anyway. This was in late 70's or early 80's but it was so obvious and nobody denied it and some thought it was good stradegy and the coach is still coaching and is among the best in state.

I believe that was the Lady Buffaloes.

ReitzFan I was at the consilation game that Obion played in and you are wrong on Fussell not having her boot on she had it on the whole game and had worn it for most of the year when not playing cause of the ankle sprain. Like I said before her ankle was swollen badly and she could of played the Haywood game but if she did and hurt her ankle worse than it was then she would have been lost for the regional game. You stated she was able to play in the game which was prolly true but not at 100% plus to my understanding from the paper it was her doctor who told her to sit not LaRue. At the regional game she did come out of the game once maybe twice and you are right did "flop" as you stated but she was fouled on that play and I assure is not the only player in ball that has tried to "hollywood" it up now and again. I hope that LaRue didnt throw the game and based on his track record I dont think he did, we can give our opinion but when it comes down to it we really dont know so no sense beating a dead horse.

On the Pate issue her punishment was she had to sit out the whole district tournament to my knowledge the incident took place on a Tuesday 2days bfore the girls played their 1st game but I could be wrong on that. Her punishment was always sit the districts out and if they made it to the regions she could play then. Pate is a good kid whos a great student and never been in any trouble before and thats why I think she wasnt kicked off the team. Is it wrong what she said yes. Do I personally know exactly what was said and the circumstances revolving around it NO so its between her the coaches and her parents which I am sure they have handled it and moved on and so should we. Like Purple said shes a kid who made a mistake and said something in the heat of the momment which I am sure we all have so as long as her and the coaches have moved on that should be enough for us.