Oliver Springs and TSSAA

downtown247

OS turned in Cloudland then turned in Clarkrange? why in the world would they turn in other schools when they don't have seating capacity themselves. Does this make sense? Folks I really don't think anybody from OS (at least coaches who actually know about the rule) turned these schools in. Anyway it's really a dumb rule, I've been to a few sub-state games and really, there are larger crowds at district and regional games because there are more than 2 local teams playing. Sub-state games ( at least in our case) teams have to travel a pretty good distance to the game and the visitors usually don't bring large crowds, plus again only 2 teams are playing. Now I'm hearing the TSSAA is giving waivers to schools to host sub-state games when their gym doesn't have have a seating capacity of 1000. What is this? If you ask permission its ok? Do you know the TSSAA has a website the average person can access to log their concerns, I really think it would be more productive to drop them a line, than bashing a school because some folks THINK they turned them in, who knows if enough people express their concern about this situation maybe the TSSAA will re-think these senseless probation's. I sent them an e-mail myself and actually got a response. But you've got to use a little tact, if you get on there bashing them I doubt you will get any results. Oh, by the way the response to my e-mail was " we'll look into it", I didn't think much about it either until I heard about this wavier stuff, who knows.

Actually, I have heard form many people that OS's girls coach turned Cloudland in. Heard that she said it was "unsafe" to host a post-season game there, which is funny, since no team before then had one complaint about it... Heck, in the 2006 boys sub-state game at Cloudland against Wartburg, they were packing people into the rafters of the gym, and you heard nary a peep of a complaint from the Wartburg fans...

While we are on this, how in the world can OS not have enough seating, but North Greene does?? NG's gym is about the same size as the one at OS, minus the entire end-zone section the OS has. And NG will be hosting a sub-state game tomorrow night...

But all in all, I think it is so unfair that the T$$AA is penalizing schools because they are 60+ years old and the county didn't have enough money in the 1950's to build a bigger gym so the could fit a few hundred more people in. Its just wrong; the kids EARNED the right to host one final home game, and the T$$AA is taking it away in an attempt to make more $$$ for themselves.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't this all talked out last year at about this same time? Seems like the full story was described by someone who knew and it didn't involve any cheating by anyone, just misunderstandings about what is counted as a seat and what is not.

Yep! Your right. Schools suffer. It was an issue of permanent seating at Cloudland. Can't speak for the other schools. Cloudland finishes their probation this year, and hopes TSSAA will change the rules for everyone.