Gibson Co. v. CPA, quarterfinals

GCPioneer

so your not gonna say anything about your team because everybody thinks gc is the favorite to win. I mean they are something like 58-1 in the last 2 seasons and defending state champs so its not really going out on a limb saying they are the favorites. That being said, if a team makes it to the state tourneyt they are also a very good team and capable of beating anyone, gc is by no means unbeatable. :bored:

Sorry. I guess you couldn't tell I had my tounge in my cheek!

Gibson has a great team I am sure, but CPA will play hard. Of the four losses, two were to AAA teams. Quality wins include Ensworth (DII state champs) and FRA (DII runner up - small division), Forrest-twice (ranked #2 in A), Ezell-Harding (ranked #4 in DII), Macon County (ranked in top 5 AA most of the year). Two losses in the district which includes Libscomb, East Literature and Hume-Fogg. Generally considered well coached with strong programs.

What I want to know is how Obion County beat Gibson County. If I remember correctly, it was double digits.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bump.....CPA people where ya at? What all do you guys bring to the table?

Not sure what to say. Everyone already has Gibson County etched on the trophy. :roll:

defend yourselves CPA... :bored: ...I am routing for you :bored: I just want to hear more about you all.

Actually, I kinda like being the big underdog that no one knows anything about. I don't have time right now, but will post later on CPA personnel.

so your not gonna say anything about your team because everybody thinks gc is the favorite to win. I mean they are something like 58-1 in the last 2 seasons and defending state champs so its not really going out on a limb saying they are the favorites. That being said, if a team makes it to the state tourneyt they are also a very good team and capable of beating anyone, gc is by no means unbeatable. :bored:

We have a guard named Heather Butler, she likes to score. We have a guard name Courtney Haynes who likes to shoot 3's and doesn't like to miss too much. We have 2 post players name Aubrey Reedy and Heather Griffin that like to grab rebounds and score points in the post. We have another guard named Khadijah Alexander whose been stepping it up alot here lately. THERE ARE YOU HAPPY? It's common sense that every team up there is going to be good. We've been there before. I have not said one thing on here being cocky or arrogant. I know we can be beat as we have already this year. I just know very little about CPA except that they have some big post and some decent guards.

LOL, come on gcpioneer, you know whjo i am very well. i am a big gc fan and have been to several games, i was refering to the poster saying he did not know what to say sibnce everybody has handed teh trophy to gc, i know you have said nothing about it as i have not seen any gc fans xsay anything, just other fans from other teams

bump.....CPA people where ya at? What all do you guys bring to the table?

Not sure what to say. Everyone already has Gibson County etched on the trophy. :bored:

GC fans aren't the ones etching names on the trophy - they don't know anything about CPA & are just asking questions. Outsiders are making their picks, but as stated on another thread, GC knows how it feels to come up to the 'boro with a great record and get beat in the first round. They are pretty darn good, but ask any of the players & fans, and they are are also aware of the possibility of losing. You don't make it this far without being good & GC knows that. I think the only common opponent that GC & CPA have played is Ensworth &, for GC, that was a preseason game. You'll see that GC will come in with the utmost respect for CPA - they take nothing for granted especially at this level!

GC fans aren't the ones on here talking that smack!

My earlier comment about Gibson County already wrapping up the tournament was mostly in jest. No doubt Gibson (and maybe McMinn) would be most peoples favorite to win it. Great programs and great histories. They should be the favorites.

I will post on CPA personnel tonight.

What I want to know is how Obion County beat Gibson County. If I remember correctly, it was double digits.

GC fans are still wondering about that, too. :bored::bored: It was 13 points. It's the old saying "on any given night.......". That night OC was on and GC was off. No other way to put it. I'm sure you've been there, too. GC is by far the better "team". They don't take any game or team for granted, either. You won't find a better bunch of girls on or off the court. They have respect for all their opponents. Go Lady Pioneers!!

We have a guard named Heather Butler, she likes to score. We have a guard name Courtney Haynes who likes to shoot 3's and doesn't like to miss too much. We have 2 post players name Aubrey Reedy and Heather Griffin that like to grab rebounds and score points in the post. We have another guard named Khadijah Alexander whose been stepping it up alot here lately. THERE ARE YOU HAPPY? It's common sense that every team up there is going to be good. We've been there before. I have not said one thing on here being cocky or arrogant. I know we can be beat as we have already this year. I just know very little about CPA except that they have some big post and some decent guards.

You forgot one,GCpioneer. I know how valuable it is to have a wealth of athleates,and most everyone on here will agree that GC is loaded,but dont sell short the value of having David Russell sitting on the bench.When he was at Bradford he,if I'm not mistaken three-peated,while turning over most of his roster,and one of those seasons the great Bill Haney remarked on the air that Bradford had "In my opinion probably the best team here regardless of classification".Pretty impressive for single A,huh?

LOL, come on gcpioneer, you know whjo i am very well. i am a big gc fan and have been to several games, i was refering to the poster saying he did not know what to say sibnce everybody has handed teh trophy to gc, i know you have said nothing about it as i have not seen any gc fans xsay anything, just other fans from other teams

LOL, my bad, whoever you are. Send me a facebook message telling me who you are because I have no clue who you are, lol. For some reason, I thought you were the Bradford fan that'd be giving GC a little bit of smack talk all year. I'm curious as to who ya are since we know each other well.

As for the OC/GC game, I'll tell you how OC won. They played as a TEAM! Texas signee, Chassidy Fussell, had a triple double in the game and Macy Wright had the game of her life dropping in 29 points. Our girls didn't shoot the ball well that night and OC shot the ball above and beyond what they could believe. OC was a great team this year and could've done well at the state tournaments had they made it.

Also, Coach Russell, I didn't forget, but I just named the players. Coach Russell is one of the winningest coaches in the state and possibly the country. I know he's above 800 wins and pushing 900 wins, I'm sure. If someone knows how many games he's won thus far, can you post it? Coach Russell is an awesome coach and has the press mastered to perfection thus resulting in GC running it for years.

CGP

I never meant to imply that you are cocky or arrogant. I hope you didn't take my tounge in cheek comment about GC being the favorite that way. I sure didn't when I wrote it.

CGP

I never meant to imply that you are cocky or arrogant. I hope you didn't take my tounge in cheek comment about GC being the favorite that way. I sure didn't when I wrote it.

No no, I wasn't. I was replying to westtnsportsfan. Which now I know who westtnsportsfan is so he was probably just trying to get me stirred up on here, lol.

You seem like a classy poster on here. In other threads I've read you seem to know what you're talking about etc. I didn't take anything you said in a bad way. I look forward to Wednesday and it couldn't get here any quicker. From what I've heard, you guys have some good post players to match up with our post players and ya'll have decent guard play from what I've been told. The post play in this game could make for some good battles.

Quote from GCP:

"I just know very little about CPA except that they have some big post and some decent guards."

CPA is thought to have a balanced offense. Four starters average double figures (Hannah Thurley, Anna Mitchell, Merideth Roman and Emily Boyd). They spread the points around and different players step up on different nights to lead in scoring. Roman, Thurley and Boyd can hit the three or drive in to score. Mitchell gets most of her points in the paint but has be known to let it fly from the three as well. The fifth starter Sarah Houge gets most of her points from 12 feet in but has been hitting the three in the last couple of weeks. The first sub off the bench is 6-3 Lauren Thompson (her dad, Tim played at Vanderbilt and now does color commentary with Joe Fisher for the Vandy games).

CPA is probably not the quickest team in the tournament but may be one of the scrapiest and toughest. They are very well coached and disciplined.

Sorry. I guess you couldn't tell I had my tounge in my cheek!

Gibson has a great team I am sure, but CPA will play hard. Of the four losses, two were to AAA teams. Quality wins include Ensworth (DII state champs) and FRA (DII runner up - small division), Forrest-twice (ranked #2 in A), Ezell-Harding (ranked #4 in DII), Macon County (ranked in top 5 AA most of the year). Two losses in the district which includes Libscomb, East Literature and Hume-Fogg. Generally considered well coached with strong programs.

Obion Central would probably be the second or third best team in this field....They were #1 for a week, got bumped by McMinn without losing a game and then stayed around the #2 ranking the rest of the season...

To the person who said GC was 57-1 the last two years....Actually it is 67-1 and over the last three years they are 94-7 with three straight tournament appearances...

All I can say right now folks is it's a 3 game tourney. Any arrogant posts you may be seeing on here about Gibson Co. are probably posters who don't know the history. I for one take nothing for granted, because I've seen it all first hand. Anything can happen and through my 15 some odd years following Gibson Co. I have seen it all!!! We have brought strong teams up there several times....including an undefeated team and went home after 1 game. Twice beaten on game winning shots..... At this point all 8 teams who are there have the ability to run the table. (my opinion)

We will see what happens Wednesday. I for one though will be pulling for Gibson Co. Let's lace 'em up and see what happens! :bored: